Any freeze dried meals/diy pack in meals carnivore friendly?

*zap*

WKR
Has anyone found any freeze dried meals for sale that are carnivore friendly?

Any diy meal ideas to pack in that would work for carnivore or paleo?

AdamLewis

FNG
I don't know of any meals that fit strict carnivores, but there are some snacks that are pretty much just freeze dried meat. The stuff tastes terrible to me so have not had much of it. It is also quite expensive.

Pemmican would work but it is really best to make that at home. The commercial stuff I have tried has been low quality but priced like it isn't.

If you want to stay keto but are ok with some ingredients that aren't strictly carnivore, take a look at Next Mile. https://www.nextmilemeals.com/
These taste great to me and have the best fat/protein balance I have seen.

Wrench

WKR
Meats typically dry well enough in the dehydrator that you could diy it if all else flops.

I have a freeze dryer and make stuff all the time....but meats don't do bad simply dehydrated.

Was thinking about freezing rouladen and then packing them in as snacks. I’m sure they’d probably be good for a few days.

Poser

WKR
I’ve been doing chicken salad for lunches this summer. I’ll dehydrate canned chicken with chopped celery, Add raisins after dehydration, throw a packet of mayo in the bag.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
I have heard that canned chicken dehydrates better than non-canned chicken?

True?

Wrench

WKR
Do you have a hope or dream of what you want to find freeze dried? I can try to challenge my wife.

sneek-ee

WKR
I don't know of any meals that fit strict carnivores, but there are some snacks that are pretty much just freeze dried meat. The stuff tastes terrible to me so have not had much of it. It is also quite expensive.

Pemmican would work but it is really best to make that at home. The commercial stuff I have tried has been low quality but priced like it isn't.

If you want to stay keto but are ok with some ingredients that aren't strictly carnivore, take a look at Next Mile. https://www.nextmilemeals.com/
These taste great to me and have the best fat/protein balance I have seen.

Look close at the back of these ingredient profiles on Next Mile Meals. Great marketing. Some fillers and the bad oils in them if you read the ingredients, soybean oil and canola oils in their meals. They advertise well and sell the "keto friendly" idea well so people jump on the bandwagon, but I assume Zap, your diet is already very clean and you've cut this stuff out anyway.
I wouldn't touch most of their stuff after reading the actual ingredients rather than buying in on the keto marketing. Couple options on their site without the bad oils if you want to go off carnivore while hunting and add back in some stuff.

What I've been doing is buying freeze dried meats, beef chunks, chicken chunks, pork. Add heavy cream powder, powdered butter, pink himalayan salt. And if you're open to it, there's single serve olive oil packets to add as well to your meals.

Breakfast, freeze dried eggs from nutristore. Mixed with cream butter and dehydrated cheeses. Hormel sells chopped up packs of real bacon, add to eggs.

Pemmican will be a test this fall to see how it turns out. I'm making some in the next week or two for the fall hunts to see how it is.

Snacks, Make your own jerky as well. Sugar free. I also love moon cheese. Great for a snack.

The only stuff I've seen is doing it on your own and making your own meals. That's actually equivalent to what you'd eat at home and keeping it clean, regardless if you want to eat keto or carnivore.

Last edited:
OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
So, I guess I will have to find stuff to do myself or just bring canned venison and powdered eggs that I dehydrate myself. Interestingly the ghee I have been using jar says refrigeration not necessary..so there is a good fat source. Plus I can make thin meat strips into jerky and vacuum seal the bags, that is supposed to be good for a few months. I bet if I opened jars of canned venison and put it into a plastic or foil bag and vacuum sealed it it would stay good for a bit....I guess it would all be ambient temperature dependent. Thanks for the ideas.

CharlesF

FNG
If you're hunting somewhere that doesnt get too hot and it cools off at night, we've had no issues bringing cured meats like hunter sticks/ salami and a block of cheese to stay in Ketosis.. gets a little boring after a bit but works. If you have cool mountain streams nearby you can always put your spoilable items in a trash bag and sink it in the creek to stay cool at night.

I’ve been making meatballs with ground up pork rinds instead of bread crumbs. I put them in a ziplock and eat them throughout the day. Not sure how long the shelf life is, but they’re tasty.

We take gallon ziplocks of this to camp, leave them out in the sun for a while to soften up. So greasy we don't bother refrigerating them for a weekend or so, but we'll refrigerate before heading out and throw in the cooler otw home. There's a local place that makes huge meaty chunks of these, they're all the way across town but I just can't make them the same way no matter how I try.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Before I got my freeze dryer I would dehydrate burger it will rehydrate decent. Also canned chicken and canned elk meat. I was able to cook chicken in the instant pot and dehydrate it with some success rehydrating. It was like chicken jerky my wife liked it right off the trays