Any pemmican recipe success?

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
Interested to try it for no reason other than curiosity and wondering whether others have had success with it?

I'm not too sentimental about the traditional recipe. Thinking it'd be nice with some s&p, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder.

Some pointers would be great though.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I made a round of it that I've been slowly working my way through. It's okay, I only eat it if it is really cold and I'm out of food. There's a thread on here somewhere that I copied a recipe from. My concoction is basically ground elk, currants, sunflower seeds, and fat.

I would recommend adding something to sweeten it a bit as well. I used maple syrup and some brown sugar but could have gone heavier. I also may have gone a little heavy on the fat. The dog sure likes the excess I scrape off with my knife though. It's not bad, I'm just not super into it.

ozyclint

WKR
thanks for reminding me of my pemmican stash in the cupboard.

i made a batch where i smoked the meat before drying it out. it turned out nice. you can add any spices to taste. just remember though, anything you add that is not totally dehydrated may spoil.

i used tallow i rendered from a heifer of mine that i home butchered.

JP100

WKR
Made some a while back, did not do anything fancy.

Just got to make sure the meat is really DRY and the fat is very clean

I used deer fat and deer meat aswell I think(Fallow deer). Didnt add anything else.

Made it into small bars, we have small like cake tin things, make little bars.

I used it as an add in for dehy and pasta/noodle meals on the hill.

Eating it by it self would be a bit rough, but added inot any normal meal makes a huge difference for flavor and energy

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Odd, we often made what we called “pemican”. It wasn’t a bar at all, more like trail mix.

We cut the meat cross grain rather than with the grain like you do for jerky. We used deer, elk, or bear.
We brine the meat in a dry brine of 1 part salt to 3 parts brown sugar for 8 hours or so. You can add spices as you like.
Then smoke the meat till pretty dry. You want it to crumble like car window glass.
You can also add in fat (bacon works) into the same brine/smoker load.
Then after you have your crumbled meat add in dried cran berries at about 30% ratio.
That’s it, smoked meat, fat, dried cranberries.

I get the cranberries that look split in half then dried with some sweetener added.

For an easy version buy the big bag of Costco bacon bits. The real bacon sort of chewy ones. And a big bag of Ocean spray dried cranberries. Mix you up blend and your good to go.

Maybe that’s not Pemican at all, but that’s what we call it and it’s good calorie dense stuff that I assume would prevent scurvy and such.

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
Bringing this one back from way back - just finished my first batch waiting on it to set up in fridge.

How do you guys grind your dry meat(hehe)? I used a food processor and the chunks looked bigger than what i thought, only some of it was truly "shredded"

When i mixed everything together the consistency seemed off, the fat didnt seam to completley soak into meat. My portions by weight were exactly 9.38 oz rendered fat to dried meat. Wonder if it just needs to set or if my meat isnt shredded enough, not enough surface area to adhere to?