Any tips for making your own fletchings?

NDM91920

FNG
I kept some turkey flight feathers from this spring any tips for using them as fletchings?

Keep the rights with the rights and the lefts with the lefts. There’s plenty of YouTube jig videos. Mines pretty basic. Just a piece of angle iron clamped to the edge of a board and run it through your sander. Really simple to do.

Stinky process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I did some using a straight bitz jig, then I decided just to send them to wild fletchings waiting to get them back from him now

Sapcut

WKR
Cut the fletching length you want from the feather, split the quill down the seem, cut the top of feather down or go ahead and cut the shape you want, put fletch in a straight clamp, shave smooth with xacto knife, fine tune smooth with sand paper by hand, put right wing fletch in right clamp, line up to your preferred distance from nock, dot the fletch with super glue GEL, put it in place, wait three minutes, turn arrow dial, repeat. Easy peazy.

Might find some tips in this article

Attachments

• Turkey Country Magazine's Online Exclusive.pdf
    157.5 KB · Views: 3

oldgoat

WKR
Wear a good dust mask if you grind them yourself, there used to be guys out there that would grind them for you either for a fee or some guys would grind both wings and give you back the feathers from one of them and keep the feathers from the other wing. Do a search on tradgang

Wear a good dust mask if you grind them yourself, there used to be guys out there that would grind them for you either for a fee or some guys would grind both wings and give you back the feathers from one of them and keep the feathers from the other wing. Do a search on tradgang
Can't speak for tradgang but definitely still a couple guys on Leatherwall doin it.

I just bought a cutter for feathers from Lancaster Archery. Place your feather in the box and hit it with a hammer. It will cut your feathers to size. I chose 4 inch parabolic. I traded some precut feathers for bare fletchings. I did better on the deal.

Attachments

• Finished 4 fletch 4 inch feathers.jpg
    Finished 4 fletch 4 inch feathers.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 3

JjamesIII

WKR
I kept some turkey flight feathers from this spring any tips for using them as fletchings?
I built a burner really cheap- you need to buy an old model train controller from eBay which was cheap. Look on YouTube for the video. I’d give you a link but I think you’ll find it on diy sportsman? You’ll glue your feathers to the shaft and get the wire red hot and spin them. Turns out perfectly profiled and takes five seconds per shaft. But beware- burning feathers inside will get your wife raging out because it’s really nasty smelling. I do it outside.

Then you’ll split the quill and sand the base flat and as thin as you can. That’s the hardest part. I hold a full length quill in a jig I made and go full redneck by clamping a belt sander in my bench vise😂.

As others stated, segregate the wings right/left and don’t use anything but the primary feathers. You can find dye online also. It’s cheap and will do a lot of feathers.I usually wait until I get a few birds before I make a batch of dye because that part requires simmering a large pot of water to soak the feathers to set the dye.