Any Turnpike Troubadours fans here?

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
What? Reckless is done?!

Not done as a band thankfully. but cutting back touring from 200+ days down to about 30 for limited shows through next year and then done touring by '25 . check the interwebs for the specifics.

SWOHTR

WKR
Not done as a band thankfully. but cutting back touring from 200+ days down to about 30 for limited shows through next year and then done touring by '25 . check the interwebs for the specifics.
Dang, glad I saw them last year then.

Azone

WKR
TT are awesome, haven’t listened to the new music yet. Pipe Bomb Dream, The Bird Hunters and Before the Devil Knows We’re Dead are some of my favorites.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't hate the new album, but I definitely liked the older ones better. Most of the older stuff has a chorus that you can't help singing along with. I don't get that vibe with the new album.

My wife and I flew to Austin last weekend to see them at Stubb's. It may have been the last time I see RK, at least in their current state. :(

Oh! I almost forgot. The Avett Brothers opened for Turnpike, my God are they awful. I would even say uniquely awful in so many different ways.

3forks

WKR
Oh! I almost forgot. The Avett Brothers opened for Turnpike, my God are they awful. I would even say uniquely awful in so many different ways.
I’m late to this thread, and have been a fan of TT and RK (tried to never miss the Braun Brothers Reunion in Challis for a lot of years).

Anyway, haven’t listened to TT’s new album but your comments on the Avett Brothers resonate with me.

My wife is a fan of the Avett Brothers and I’ve been to two of their shows at Red Rocks. They are the very shittiest band I have ever seen.

The first time I saw them, my wife convinced me that I didn’t really pay enough attention to the music because I let all the douchebags who are local to Denver (and in my opinion, take being douchebags to the next level), annoy me to the point that I couldn’t form an objective opinion on the band.

The next year we saw them at Red Rocks again, and this time I kept my mouth shut. However, at this show I could see my wife getting annoyed by a lot of clowns in the audience. I was highly annoyed, but had promised myself to keep my composure and not ruin the show for my wife. At the point in the show when the band broke out the kazoos to play a song, my wife just turned to me and said “we can leave”.

I’ve noticed she rarely ever listens to the Avett Brothers any longer and has turned down offers from her friends to go to any other shows.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's one that'll grow on you the more you listen. Could have used some more up-tempo songs, but the more I listen to it the more I like certain songs.
I sat down to work on an appeal Friday and put the new TT album on repeat while typing. First listen to it, I thought it was a little disappointing. By the end of the day, I decided that I liked it. It’s continued to grow on me over the weekend.

Hell, when it first came out in 2017, “ A Long Way From Your Heart” was by far my least favorite of their albums. A couple of years back, I realized it had slowly become one of my favorites of their’s.

Are they lip synching? Because they sing into a stationary microphone, but also bounce all around the stage like ADHD kids with Parkinsons.

jpalmer83

FNG
Saw them in Philly last month opening for Luke Combs. They are awesome. I actually think some of the new stuff is really good. Mean Old Sun I think is up there with some of their best.

3forks

WKR
Are they lip synching? Because they sing into a stationary microphone, but also bounce all around the stage like ADHD kids with Parkinsons.
I’m assuming they still have that dingbat fiddle player, right?

One of the first things that aggravated me about that band was the fiddle player and her antics.

Would not surprise me if the Avetts drug their kids out to help with the kazoo songs… They just seem so oblivious. It amazes me that their fans want to hear them sing songs about high school while they play banjos and prance around.

I get annoyed just thinking about it.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
I looked up some Avent Brothers stuff. Not my cup of tea. I'd almost rather listen to Florida Georgia Line.

t_carlson

WKR
Bump for the new Zach Bryan EP.

Deep Satin might be the best song he's written thus far. Lyrics, melody, timing - the song is 10/10 by all gauges.

Other great songs on there too.

Also, I'm coming around on the new Turnpike album. I still don't think its as good as any of their previous albums, but a few of the songs are starting to worm their way into my brain.

Seriously though, Zach Bryan has to make it to April 2024 to turn 28.

Recent divorce and arrest makes me wonder if he will succumb to the curse or not. GOAT-ing's not easy...

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider

Deep Satin might be the best song he's written thus far. Lyrics, melody, timing - the song is 10/10 by all gauges.

Also, I'm coming around on the new Turnpike album. I still don't think its as good as any of their previous albums, but a few of the songs are starting to worm their way into my brain.

Recent divorce and arrest makes me wonder if he will succumb to the curse or not. GOAT-ing's not easy...

I had to quit playing 'Deep Satin' because I didn't want to wear it out for myself. I agree, one of his best songs so far.

I'm on the opposite side when it comes to falling off, ZB plays with a lot of emotion, his writing seems tied to his life experiences pretty closely (mom dying, friends, girlfriends, ex wife, dog, etc) ... I think a divorce and some more hardship along with more overall life experiences might send him to another level.

ID_Matt

WKR

He amazes me. The amount of music he has put out in the last year or so is unreal. Big fan of his music