anyone ever said "this place has it all"?

Rwill

FNG
I am planning a rifle Elk hunt for this year, and Colorado has always been the destination, I havent narrowed it down to a unit yet or even which season. and figured this would be the place to ask a question. Im not asking for anyones honeyhole, or even the spots where you've seen the big bulls. I hunt for the adventure of it more so than the kill and trophy. So my question is, have you ever been in a spot or unit in any Western state where you just said to yourself, "this place has it all" aspens, mountian streams, meadows and dark timber, you know the total package of the quinticential western elk hunt. For me I consider my boots on the ground in elk country a successful hunt, and for my first time out there I frankly have little expectations of seeing Elk much less a mature bull. So this will be an OTC DIY backpack hunt that will be my first step into learning and more importantly earning a nice bull. Here in the midwest harvesting does is perfectly acceptable and is a great way to get started deer hunting and putting meat in the freezer so unless its more taboo to take a cow in the west, I would be totally happy with that for the first few hunts. enough rambling, the question is... if a friend of yours has one opportunity to go on a DIY elk hunt and just wants to have the true western elk hunting experience, and scenery, have you seen the place?

Bar

Banned
Sure have. I have 3-4 spots like that, and I never told a soul where they are.

we all hunt cows out here,they are great eating. Just dont go into a cow hunt thinking its a short cut to an elk. They are the eyes,noses,and brains of the herd and are often harder to kill than a bull.

OP
R

Rwill

FNG
anyone ever hunted the Frying Pan River area? Units 44 or 45, thinking second rifle season. Im thinking weather would be the biggest challenge, Im guessing I would need to be prepared for tons of snow to sub freezing temps. Looks like some rugged country, so far this area is in the lead.

bz_711

WKR
we all hunt cows out here,they are great eating. Just dont go into a cow hunt thinking its a short cut to an elk. They are the eyes,noses,and brains of the herd and are often harder to kill than a bull.

x2

I've been lucky enough to arrow bulls the last two years in CO...and from my experience only (over 5 seasons)...it is far harder to arrow a cow than a bull. I skipped one arrow off a cows back and that has been about the extent to my cow opportunities. I've had multiple close range encounters with bulls...I'm not complaining, just confirming that a cow is just as special of a harvest. And now that I know how much my family enjoys elk meat - I'll most likely still shoot the first cow or bull that gives me the shot!

I don't think you can go wrong in CO for scenery...best of luck, and keep us updated on your adventure. I typically get 5 days per year to hunt elk - which will never be enough so I rely on this forum for stories, updates, pics, etc to feed my elk craving...and to help keep learning.

anyone ever hunted the Frying Pan River area? Units 44 or 45, thinking second rifle season. Im thinking weather would be the biggest challenge, Im guessing I would need to be prepared for tons of snow to sub freezing temps. Looks like some rugged country, so far this area is in the lead.

I live 10 miles from where the Pan runs into the Roaring Fork. I have done alot of hunting up the Pan,starting with my job in junior high as a bear guide when baiting was still legal in CO.My job then was collecting the leftovers from local restrurants and hanging baits.Our style back then was to pour the slop into burlap sacks and lash them 6 feet up an aspen. that way we could get a decent idea of the bear that hit it, clawed up tree and shredded bag was a smaller bear. bag simply gone,no marks on the tree..well thats a big bear. the bags would spill even when the big bears pulled them and our hunters usualy got a shot on them coming back later. the elk hunting there is great also,but i have only been up there archery-muzzle loader. I certainly was not alone then,you for sure will not be alone 2nd rifle. That being said,you wont be alone anywhere in CO on public land ,period. You are right about the weather,and the terrian,both are as nasty as you imagine. The elk are there,the rest is up to you.If you decide on this area PM me,I will help where i can.

njdoxie

WKR

As a side note, I normally hunt first rifle, but have started hunting 2nd rifle the last 2 years in CO, and I've rarely been snowed on, last year it was barely getting down to 32 at night. I hope this post doesn't mean I'll get dumped on in 2015 2nd rifle, I'm a fair weather hunter, snow makes it too treacherous to get around in steep terrain, I slip enough as it is.

Weather dictates what is the best rifle season to hunt. Some areas are great 1st season hunts but terrible 3rd and 4th season hunts because of snow and the cold. I would stay away from the 2nd season hunt. It is the first combined deer/elk rifle hunt in Colorado and it is a ZOO!

njdoxie

WKR
Sure have. I have 3-4 spots like that, and I never told a soul where they are.
Ditto on that, I've got a heck of a honeyhole as long as no one disturbs it, has all of the above. Only one other person knows about it, that I know of, and he won't tell anyone. It's my only true honeyhole. And it's visible for miles around, but from a distance it looks like just another elkless, dried up hillside, like so many others around.

Last edited:

Bar

Banned
Ditto on that, I've got a heck of a honeyhole as long as no one disturbs it, has all of the above. Only one other person knows about it, that I know of, and he won't tell anyone.

I have one spot like that. I share it with my gunsmith who has hunted the spot for decades. As have I. We have a deal to hunt it every other year, so we don't run into each other during the hunt. I've gotten a bull every year i've hunted it, and so has he. It's the most unlikely spot you'd ever imagine, and i've never seen another hunter there. It doesn't even need to be scouted. Just show up the first day of the season. That's unusual for me, because being retired I scout about 250 days a year. I mostly always still hunt into bedding areas, and my scouting basically looking for bedding areas without disturbing them.

njdoxie

WKR
I have one spot like that. I share it with my gunsmith who has hunted the spot for decades. As have I. We have a deal to hunt it every other year, so we don't run into each other during the hunt. I've gotten a bull every year i've hunted it, and so has he. It's the most unlikely spot you'd ever imagine, and i've never seen another hunter there. It doesn't even need to be scouted. Just show up the first day of the season. That's unusual for me, because being retired I scout about 250 days a year. I mostly always still hunt into bedding areas, and my scouting basically looking for bedding areas without disturbing them.
Why do the elk like your spot? And what makes it so unlikely?

Bar

Banned
The elk like it, because it has all they need. Plenty of food, water, shelter, and no pressure. Elk are there year around.

Unlikely, because it's close to a major road, and it's hidden. Getting to it looks like it goes nowhere that would hold elk, and it's difficult to navigate.

Some know the unit I hunt here, so that's all the info i'm giving.

The place I hunted in Colorado for Elk last season had elk, bear, deer, and antelope. I saw all 4 species. That's the first time I have had that happen but it will be a while before I go back.

Colorado has always had a spot in my heart. Too many stoners there for me to move there though...

Oh yes! I say “this place has it all” everytime I draw a Gila tag! Of course it does not have the Spruce trees, or the beetle kill that goes with it, it doesn’t have Quakies, it doesn’t have mountain lakes or running water unless there’s been a monsoon, it doesn’t have high alpine meadows, or giant boulder fields above tree line, or long wide Rokslides that are impossible to cross.

what it does have are Ponderosa pines, Piñon pines, several species of Oak trees, several species of Junipers and Cedars, wild onions, more bears than I’ve seen anywhere, several species of Rattlers, Mexican Wolves,Javelina, Lions, Bobcat, Mule Deer, Coues Deer and Big Horn Sheep and possibly the healthiest forest in the west.

but most importantly it has the elk! In my minds eye, the Gila has it all! And no place I’d rather be bar none!

now all that being said, I should draw a well known mid tier Colorado unit this year that reverts me back to the first paragraph at which time I will say “this place has it all”. The common denominator? Yes you guessed it. Elk!

best of luck!

Last edited: