Anyone excited for PA Rocklock season?

Michael54

WKR
This is the season where we get together in a large group of friends and we laugh, walk, shoot, miss, laugh, eat and laugh about the horrid shooting we did. For some reason i can't seem to break the habit of trying to look above the smoke cloud as soon as i pull the trigger to see if i hit it, flinch because i put way too much powder in the flashpan, or pull the trigger and the gun just doesn't go bang. This season gives me a whole different level of respect for out ancestors.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I’ve only heard about this. It’s the only “Flintlock only” season I’ve ever heard of. It’s interesting... wonder if this is indeed the only one like it in the country, or if there’s others I’ve not heard about? It sounds great!

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
I’ve only heard about this. It’s the only “Flintlock only” season I’ve ever heard of. It’s interesting... wonder if this is indeed the only one like it in the country, or if there’s others I’ve not heard about? It sounds great!
Its technically primitive arms season. Flintlocks, bows, crossbows. It runs from the day after christmas to the second saturday in january. Its the one season i have yet to harvest a deer in. I usually do most of the walking during the drives due to I'm one of the younger people. Its kind of a tradition hunt with the local families in the area and some of the guys are in their 70's

Clarence

WKR
I'm ready!
c150eb7ec4597e433697bcf301c0d9e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Clarence

WKR
Flintlock season requires it's own separate tag, and enables you to use a unused antlerd tag on a antlerless deer.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I miss those hunts from my younger days in PA, always a good time with family and friends. I still have my 20 year old 50cal. Hawkin that i imagine shooting an elk with 1 day but haven't committed yet.

This is my favorite deer season for all of the above mentioned reasons. A heck of a lot less people in the woods too.
A good drive with lots of shooting, some "clicks" etc. Heading up Sunday for a few days in 2G. All the snow this year should make it interesting.

I keep the hawkins and renegade in the safe now. They just can't shoot as consistently as the Lyman, and also picked up a PA Ultralite.

I keep sayin I am going to buy one of these things but I end up just hunting bow instead. Some guys do a drive on my property (and the adjacent properties) every year and it looks like fun.

Clarence

WKR
I keep sayin I am going to buy one of these things but I end up just hunting bow instead. Some guys do a drive on my property (and the adjacent properties) every year and it looks like fun.
I really enjoy shooting and hunting with a flintlock. I find it to be a great bookend to my big game season. Best enjoyed with friends, and keep it light. They are capable of getting in your head and being a exercise in frustration if you don't practice and familiarize enough. Go for it man!

I was going to shoot mine a few days ago and realized I burned all my black power in our big cannon on the 4th of july. Got another pound. I'll be ready to go. Also the only season I've never killed a deer in.

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, I'll be out. Got one more antlerless tag to fill. We did have about 12" of snow on the ground but that is quickly fading and with tomorrows rain in the forecast it will be gone by Saturday. My T/C Renegade is shooting almost a cloverleaf at fifty yards with 80gr of 2F and a .490 PRB.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
It's definitely a fun time. Frustrating for sure at times, but a blast doing flintlock drives or still-hunting in the laurel thickets in the gamelands.