anyone have field experience with the Spartan Davros pro head for glassing and shooting?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm really interested in this setup, not a lot of firsthand info that I'm finding.

Thanks!

amassi

WKR
I use one on a tripod for game and on primos triggersticks for coyotes
They work pretty good for what it is it isn't an arcade rail and heavy prs tripod but it is a convenient solution if your already using the spartan bipod.

The tripod with a pack for a rear bag is as solid as I'd ever need for a seated shot.
- I use the universal mount that replaces the front sling stud- if I was looking for a touch more control I'd install the gunsmith adapter in the stock closer to the magazine.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks

that's what I was thinking, using the "gunsmith" adapter one and locate it a little closer to center

have you used any optics on the Davros head by chance? I'd like a system that I can both glass and shoot from if possible

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
I am in the same boat MTW. Have been looking at the Davros system for a while now. I do not want to lose the ease of glassing. I know they have the larger glassing unit with a handle, which is what I will get if I make the leap.

manitou1

WKR
I think the large (Pro) Davros head comes w/ a carbon fiber handle- is that the one you're talking about? They make a small head, but w/ a 60mm spotter thinking the larger head would be better (albeit heavier). Probably better to shoot off as well???

https://javelinbipod.com/collections/davros-mounts-and-clamps/products/davros-pro-head
Yes indeed!
Actually, the Davros Pro head with the Heavy Duty Optics Adaptor. The HD optics adaptor comes with a CF handle.
Looks like a good system that would be quick to deploy and switch gear on.

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ you're right the handle comes with the optic adapter :)

seems like there would be more guys using it as versatile as it appears; maybe they're waiting for a guinea pig :D

ljalberta

WKR
I’ve been looking at this exact setup. The only thing holding me back is there’s not a lot out there on using the davros as a glassing head.

I absolutely love glassing off a pan head and I just wonder if I can go back to something more like a ball head, even if I get a slicker system for shooting from.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah would be nice to hear some in the field feedback; I'll often use a ballhead backpack hunting, but agree a panhead is tough to beat

Clarktar

WKR
^ you're right the handle comes with the optic adapter :)

seems like there would be more guys using it as versatile as it appears; maybe they're waiting for a guinea pig :D
I bought the davros pro head, ascent tripod , optic adapter. Just haven't used it enough while hunting go give much feedback. It will go through the places this August-November.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
Just ordered the system. Davros Pro, two HD optics mounts (for binos and spotter), and mounts for rifles.
Will post an update when I receive them and again after some use.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
sounds like we should be getting some good feedback in the near future :)

Just watched an overview on YouTube. Don't really see any advantage over a VA-5 fluid head and arca plates, other than a 7oz weight difference for the base unit. The difference is even smaller as accessories are added and the price climbs.

Curious to see your experiences/review when you get yours.

manitou1

WKR
Just watched an overview on YouTube. Don't really see any advantage over a VA-5 fluid head and arca plates, other than a 7oz weight difference for the base unit. The difference is even smaller as accessories are added and the price climbs.

Curious to see your experiences/review when you get yours.
The attractive part for me is the speed/ease of switching from glass to gun and back.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being able to quickly (and simply) move from spotting to firing is definitely a plus for me.

Having a bipod unattached, but still handy is nice too.