anyone have field experience with the Spartan Davros pro head for glassing and shooting?

4th_point

WKR
I bet the light duty adapter would be fine for binos, I just haven't used one.

The local archery store sells Spartan gear so I have been meaning to check one out.

BigVick04

FNG
Only with binoculars. Unfortunately my midsize spotting scope has been in for warranty for the past two months. I do have a bigger scope but I use that with a fluid head.

If you have specific questions, post them here and I'll see if I can help.
Can you measure the size of the ball on the gen 2?

BigVick04

FNG
I’ve got an 85mm btx on the way and I’m sure the davros pro will be less than ideal but hoping it will at least be usable with an optic that big.

I’ll probably get one to try it out and if it doesn’t work I was thinking about also getting a regular davros head, putting a little arca rail on the bottom of it then using my va5 head for glassing and then remove the btx and slide the davros head into the va5 to shoot from?

BigVick04

FNG
Not easy to make a direct measurement. My guess is 30mm (made in Europe?).
I got a response from Spartan and they said 38mm.

Another thought I had was just using my va5 head then getting an original davros with a little arca rail on the bottom, so I could slide the optic off and put the davros head right on the va5. Do you think that would be a good idea or maybe better to just put a small arca QD clamp on the tripod and then remove the optic and head and replace it with the davros.
Might be a better setup so the va5 isn’t taking the abuse of being shot off of?

I got a response from Spartan and they said 38mm.

Another thought I had was just using my va5 head then getting an original davros with a little arca rail on the bottom, so I could slide the optic off and put the davros head right on the va5. Do you think that would be a good idea or maybe better to just put a small arca QD clamp on the tripod and then remove the optic and head and replace it with the davros.
Might be a better setup so the va5 isn’t taking the abuse of being shot off of?
I have been considering adding a plate to the bottom of the Davros and clipping it in when I need it as well. Problem is, I believe the Davros takes a 3/8 thread made to go directly to a tripod, all my plates are the 1/4 thread made for mounting to optics.

Dsnow9

FNG
I have been considering adding a plate to the bottom of the Davros and clipping it in when I need it as well. Problem is, I believe the Davros takes a 3/8 thread made to go directly to a tripod, all my plates are the 1/4 thread made for mounting to optics.
You can get a thread converter. The Davros pro comes with one. Not sure about the normal one. When I clear the waiting period I will be selling my standard Davros and can include the converter. I hit my ten days today.

You can get a thread converter. The Davros pro comes with one. Not sure about the normal one. When I clear the waiting period I will be selling my standard Davros and can include the converter. I hit my ten days today.
Like a 3/8 to 1/4 male reducer? Have any pics of the reducer? I’m trying to envision it. What don’t you like about your Davros?

Dsnow9

FNG
Like a 3/8 to 1/4 male reducer? Have any pics of the reducer? I’m trying to envision it. What don’t you like about your Davros?
I love it. The pro just locks down tighter and has the pan function which I prefer for my glassing style.E9D9E0F2-969F-4156-BCAE-BA039ABE60CE.jpeg

BigVick04

FNG
Who did you communicate with at Spartan?

The housing on mine measures 40mm for O.D. I can't envision the ball being 38mm but I could be wrong.
A fella named Max, although I just re-read the email and he did say “I believe they are 38mm”

Kinda hard to tell from the pictures but I guess if you could measure how thick the housing is at the bottom of the 90* drop notch, then double it and subtract it from 40mm. That looks to be pretty close to the thickest part of the ball

I was just curious as I haven’t used a ball head for several years and I’ve also never used a good one. After looking at some reviews for different brands on the 30/40/55mm heads I was just wondering where it would fall in size wise. It seems pretty unanimous that bigger is better in about every way except weight of course.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just ordered the Gen II Pro head and two heavy duty optic adapters- one for my spotter and one for my binos

Looking forward to giving them a whirl!

4th_point

WKR
Good deal. I just got two of the light duty adapters and tried one this morning. It spins on the post of the head, even with the SHCS finger tight. Not a huge deal with binocs or LRF.

PXL_20230131_152228655.jpg

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah the price wasn't great between the two and figured the carbon rod that comes with it might be useful for the binos as well as the spotter :)

4th_point

WKR
I did the same and ordered two of the heavy duty adapters originally.

I went to a local shop to check out the light duty adapters and then remembered that I had gift cards at Amazon.

Having the option of a tiller stick is handy. I just steer the optic itself.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just ordered the Gen II Pro head and two heavy duty optic adapters- one for my spotter and one for my binos

Looking forward to giving them a whirl!

Thought I would update this thread as I got to use this system for just shy of two weeks in the Brooks Range.

Prior to the trip, I spent two weeks shooting almost everyday switching between bipod and tripod. The head worked well with my rifle, but as I only have the swing swivel adapter, the rifle would slowly sink rearward at full lock/tightness. I'm 99% sure by adding the gunsmith adapter, that will not happen as it's much closer to the center of the weight of the rifle.

I used the heavy optics adapters (one on my binos and one on my spotter) in combination with the Pro II head extensively glassing for sheep. I could swap between optics quickly and the system worked great.

I ended up shooting my ram with a bipod (also Spartan), but was ready if necessary to shoot off my tripod.

I'm pretty darn happy with the system :)

i2p4sXI.jpg

Ive used the spartan system extensively for a couple of years. There is a trade off for sure but I love how quick I can change between tools.

The light duty small thread to lock the head is pretty worthless imo. If you don’t want the spotter or binos to spin on the head (and spin on the pan function of head) then the HD version is the way to go.

Also have switched all my rifles to gunsmith adapter more centered on rifle, then have a second one foward for bipod.

Hoghead

WKR
I have the old style tripod that has the darvos head on it. I have the handles and use the legs as trekking poles. I like the system cuts weight using the legs and is great for my style of glassing. I use binoculares 90% of the time, I only use a spotter to verify. I have shot 2 deer of of the tripod. One at 486 yards and the other at 260. Both were one shot kills. I went from glassing to ready to shoot in seconds. I use the gunsmith adapter at the balance point of my rifle. I grab the tripod open the optics adapter then pull the binos off and set the rifle on its that easy and fast. on the 486 deer I spread my feet and took my time to shoot. The 260 deer I was walking and stopped to glass saw a buck. I moved back to some cover set the tripod so i could neal, walked back out ranged and shot. I only had a neck shot so I felt better shooting in a kneeling position.