Anyone +P'd a 7PRC?

CCooper

WKR
I have 20-inch 8 twist Proof Sendero blank headed the smith this week with a 7 PRC-AW reamer. I am considering having him send it to UM for a +P throat after he chambers it. I would like to run the 180 ELDM, ADG, and N570 as hard as I can, with accuracy obviously. Curious if others have tried it and what gains were achieved.

wildcat33

WKR
What’s a +P throat? And why not just go with a bigger case if you want more V?

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
Ive done the load dev on several +P 7prc's. Two types of improved throats even. I have had Good Luck with 560 and the improved throat. 22-24" 180eldm is typically 2900-2980. That is me keeping it in the "walmart" safe zone for pressure.

OP
CCooper

CCooper

WKR
Ive done the load dev on several +P 7prc's. Two types of improved throats even. I have had Good Luck with 560 and the improved throat. 22-24" 180eldm is typically 2900-2980. That is me keeping it in the "walmart" safe zone for pressure.
If I could get to 2900 with a 20” I’d be pretty darn happy. Have you shot a ladder with N568? I was curious if N560 would edge out N570.

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
From what I have done 560 has given me the most accuracy with speed. I can get more speed but they fight pretty hard. 560 just seems to let a guy have that middle 2900fps window with no pressure at all and be in that 2.5-3" at 650yd accuracy. Tons of pictures and examples of them on my instantgram............sgw_idaho

OP
CCooper

CCooper

WKR
From what I have done 560 has given me the most accuracy with speed. I can get more speed but they fight pretty hard. 560 just seems to let a guy have that middle 2900fps window with no pressure at all and be in that 2.5-3" at 650yd accuracy. Tons of pictures and examples of them on my instantgram............sgw_idaho
Thanks for the information. Turns out I have a brand new 8lb’er of N560 on my load bench that’s been collecting dust. Sounds like the +P will be a worthwhile upgrade 👊🏻. The barrel will be coming to you guys anyhow for cerakote.

bmart2622

WKR
What’s a +P throat? And why not just go with a bigger case if you want more V?
Its a modification to the throat that reduces pressure allowing you to increase charge weight before you hit pressure. Its a couple hundred dollar upgrade to gain 100-150 fps versus a new rifle or re-barrel

Ucsdryder

WKR
N570 and a plus p? That barrel will be wearing out before you finish load development! Probably should have gone with an appropriately throated 28 nosler and hit the speeds you wanted without playing with the barrel or pushing pressures.

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 7prc (defensive edge style) with over 300 rounds of 560 and throat erosion has not even required a seating adjustment yet. Not as bad as you're thinking. It's walking away for sure but not crazy. 28 noslers don't eat throats or barrels so that isn't a fair comparison..................

WKR

WKR
Its also a way to reduce barrel life. Basically a trade off of faster speeds for less barrel life. I considered it once but I just don't love the idea of reducing the land diameter right where the barrel needs it the most. I think improved cases, wildcats, or just a larger capacity case are the more logical way to obtain a higher MV...but thats just my personal taste. To each his own.

If you don't shoot much or have lots of time/money to burn on barrel swaps have at it!

OP
CCooper

CCooper

WKR
N570 and a plus p? That barrel will be wearing out before you finish load development! Probably should have gone with an appropriately throated 28 nosler and hit the speeds you wanted without playing with the barrel or pushing pressures.
Not worried, I’ve used the N series powders quite a lot without excessive throat erosion problems. I’ve never understood why people are so concerned with “burning up barrels” they are cheap in the grand scheme of things. You don’t buy a sports car to drive it slow 🤣

Last edited:

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider
Its also a way to reduce barrel life. Basically a trade off of faster speeds for less barrel life. I considered it once but I just don't love the idea of reducing the land diameter right where the barrel needs it the most. I think improved cases, wildcats, or just a larger capacity case are the more logical way to obtain a higher MV...but thats just my personal taste. To each his own.

If you don't shoot much or have lots of time/money to burn on barrel swaps have at it!
Some people leave their cars and trucks stock forever some people dont.

The +P typically isnt to get say a 7prc into a 28 noslers window of performance. From what I have seen is that where the cartridge shoots fps wise in its upper node (right at or into pressure that is realistically too much) is near where it will end up just with out the pressure. Its not neccisarliy that the modification allows you to go 100 fps faster, but a lot of the time it lets you be were you going to push it into anyways with out tearing up your brass.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Not worried, I’ve just the N series powders quite a lot without excessive throat erosion problems. I’ve never understood why people are so concerned with “burning up barrels” they are cheap in the grand scheme of things. You don’t buy a sports car to drive it slow 🤣
I disagree on the n570 but I agree with the part about barrels being replaceable.

If you’re trying to hit 28 nosler speeds why get a 7PRC then spend more money to have it throated plus p and run it super hot rather than just doing a long throated 28 nosler?

OP
CCooper

CCooper

WKR
I disagree on the n570 but I agree with the part about barrels being replaceable.

If you’re trying to hit 28 nosler speeds why get a 7PRC then spend more money to have it throated plus p and run it super hot rather than just doing a long throated 28 nosler?
Personally, I’ve been down the 28N road in the past shooting 195’s at 3170. That package brings a lot of recoil and is too overbore for my liking. The goal with this build was to keep a 180 ELDM lethal at 1000 yards (2800 MV at the elevations and environmental I hunt at is right on the edge) while utilizing a suppressor and keeping overall barrel length with suppressor ( in this case Scythe TI) at 26 inches or under. The barreled action will be in a XLR folder for packability. Just enough, but not too much fitting the above parameters. Plus, it’s a reason to play with something new.

Last edited:
Not worried, I’ve just the N series powders quite a lot without excessive throat erosion problems. I’ve never understood why people are so concerned with “burning up barrels” they are cheap in the grand scheme of things. You don’t buy a sports car to drive it slow
The barrel is cheap, but add in labor fees to chamber/thread a new one, new components, barrel break in, load dev, and the worst of all, wait times on a good Smith to do all the labor.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

What have you seen with H1k?

Ucsdryder

WKR

I run h1000 in a 7saum. 20” suppressed. I love the setup but only getting 2725fps. That said, I’m still confident in the ballistics to 1000 yards plus! Here’s my setup that my daughter is currently trying to steal!IMG_0299.jpeg

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider

Medium actions like the tikkas and the rich people versions there of wont facilitate a 28 Nosler.

28 Nosler guy calling a +P 7prc guy a throat killer is a pot calling the kettle black argument.

Even then if there isnt pressure with the throat improvement you are still passing 20%(ish) less burning powder down the barrel with the 7prc vs the 28. Look at the hogdons site. 7prc/28nosler and retumbo(similar charge weight as 570) its 66.5gr vs 81.5gr and only 20-30fps different. In the end a throat is dying cause it was cut on vs a throat dying cause it has a significant larger powder charge passed over it. We are all barrel killers unless your shooting a 308, 223, or some other vanilla chambering.

barrel makers, gun smiths, load developers..........we all need to make a living too 😂

OP
CCooper

CCooper

WKR
this thread is beginning to go off the rails as most do- let’s get back to real hard data on the 7PRC+P

Nbowlin

Lil-Rokslider

H1000 works well just doesn't give the speed most customers are wanting. We live in a cake and eat it world anymore. Ive run H1000, H4831sc, Retumbo, N560, N565 and N570 in the 7prc. In all that and all that Ive done I was just saying 560 was a walk off as far as consistently giving accuraccy and the upper end of speed. Some customers dont N series powders, only have a certain kind at home for later, or some rifles are finicky wenches and like weird stuff.