Anyone regret their point situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to kill a sheep and a goat at some point in my life.. I have no choice but to play the points game.. Will it ever happen?? I don't know?? But it defiantly won't if I don't apply..

BearBow77

FNG
Plenty of great tags to be had with less points than that.

Not in productive areas of Arizona. While hunting fall turkey last season, I spoke to a game warden that openly admitted that the Arizona draw system is convoluted. Short version of his explanation, was that here in Az, the very first 20% of tags, ( prior to bonus point holders), goes to both financial donors and non-resident hunters. ( 10% went to resident high money donors, and the other 10% went to big money editors from hunting mags, or hunting shows. ) Upon distribution of the first 20%, then came the bonus point hunters. From what the warden said, " remaining tags in productive areas will be passed out to bonus points of usually 17 points or more". Once complete, the remaining tags per GMU will be distributed to the general public, most commonly low success units.

ScopeScar

FNG
I've only bothered with out-of-state points twice (MT and WY). Just didn't seem worth the yearly cost to maintain.

I think my state (WA) should convert perhaps 10 - 20% of the point system draws to raffles which can be entered using your accumulated points, for equivalent hunt types. The total points in the system has clearly become absurd. 20 years' worth of points count for practically nothing on the once-in-a-lifetime hunts.

The backlog could be eliminated with an optional conversion to raffle points. WA uses a squaring system whereby 20 years' of points become 400 "entries" in the draw system. A first year person entering a drawing has 1 "entry". The WA hunt purchasing system should be modified to allow a hunter to exchange an entry for a raffle ticket in these newly developed draw-to-raffle conversion hunts.

As I am now a senior citizen with not that many more years of strenuous hunting left I would like the opportunity to at least choose to burn all (or some) of my points some year before they all just become worthless. An 80 year old drawing let's say a sheep tag with 40 points (1600 "entries") is pretty much an absurdity. I know a guy who's father did just that, drawing a Chelan ewe tag in his 80's and was basically too disabled to even do that.

At the current progression I'd expect nearly all of WA OIL tags will go to quite elderly persons. Unless the state plans to pave some gentle grade trails suitable for mobility chairs, something needs to change to burn down the point backlog.

BearBow77

FNG
I've only bothered with out-of-state points twice (MT and WY). Just didn't seem worth the yearly cost to maintain.

I think my state (WA) should convert perhaps 10 - 20% of the point system draws to raffles which can be entered using your accumulated points, for equivalent hunt types. The total points in the system has clearly become absurd. 20 years' worth of points count for practically nothing on the once-in-a-lifetime hunts.

The backlog could be eliminated with an optional conversion to raffle points. WA uses a squaring system whereby 20 years' of points become 400 "entries" in the draw system. A first year person entering a drawing has 1 "entry". The WA hunt purchasing system should be modified to allow a hunter to exchange an entry for a raffle ticket in these newly developed draw-to-raffle conversion hunts.

As I am now a senior citizen with not that many more years of strenuous hunting left I would like the opportunity to at least choose to burn all (or some) of my points some year before they all just become worthless. An 80 year old drawing let's say a sheep tag with 40 points (1600 "entries") is pretty much an absurdity. I know a guy who's father did just that, drawing a Chelan ewe tag in his 80's and was basically too disabled to even do that.

At the current progression I'd expect nearly all of WA OIL tags will go to quite elderly persons. Unless the state plans to pave some gentle grade trails suitable for mobility chairs, something needs to change to burn down the point backlog.

I'd half to agree though I can only afford to hunt AZ at the moment. Regardless of state, the point system has made hunting a "rich man's" game. If you can afford the high end hunts...you win. The rest of us can save points up until we die and never hunt premium land for big bulls. Hoping just to get drawn for cow.....freezer been empty for years now

wapitibob

WKR
Not in productive areas of Arizona. While hunting fall turkey last season, I spoke to a game warden that openly admitted that the Arizona draw system is convoluted. Short version of his explanation, was that here in Az, the very first 20% of tags, ( prior to bonus point holders), goes to both financial donors and non-resident hunters. ( 10% went to resident high money donors, and the other 10% went to big money editors from hunting mags, or hunting shows. ) Upon distribution of the first 20%, then came the bonus point hunters. From what the warden said, " remaining tags in productive areas will be passed out to bonus points of usually 17 points or more". Once complete, the remaining tags per GMU will be distributed to the general public, most commonly low success units.

Proof that you can work for a game dept and still not have the slightest clue how their draw works.

BearBow77

FNG
Proof that you can work for a game dept and still not have the slightest clue how their draw works.
Actually the game warden was spot on. I've personally seen the proof that what he said is true.
Until you can provide substantiated evidence to contradict the evidence I've personally seen....your commenting on with nothing viable....

I'll wait............

sneaky

"DADDY"
Actually the game warden was spot on. I've personally seen the proof that what he said is true.
Until you can provide substantiated evidence to contradict the evidence I've personally seen....your commenting on with nothing viable....

I'll wait............
You're off to a fine start on Rokslide I see

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I want to kill a sheep and a goat at some point in my life.. I have no choice but to play the points game.. Will it ever happen?? I don't know?? But it defiantly won't if I don't apply..
Apply for mountain goats in Alaska. You will draw sooner than you think. Nonresidents need a licensed guide but definitely worth the adventure and experience before moving into the nursing home. Happy hunting!

BearBow77

FNG
Waiting for you to post your proof

Lol....it helps to understand debate. Which clearly you failed in school. I presented a legit conversation. I'm not the one questioning said proof. You are. It's up to you to debunk me. What, you think I'm gonna prove your argument for you? Special kind of stupid ain't ya? 😂😂😂

Scottyboy

WKR
Nope, applying for Minnesota elk is dirt cheap. Will I ever draw a tag? Most likely, will it take a decade +...yes, but still a fraction the cost of a western hunt.

I regret Minnesota moose as our resident season was closed a few years back after accumulating a number of points and will remained closed to resident hunters for the foreseeable future (natives can harvest 40??? a year)

Otherwise I only apply in Iowa for archery/rut tags which again is relatively cheap and easy to draw every few years.

As much as I love and admire..1 day hoping to live in the west, I won’t play the points game. If I feel the need to hunt elk I will go the guided route to avoid the headaches/hassles.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I regret buying deer points in CO now that they moved the goalpost. Same deal in WY now that they want to hold money for 4+ months. The WY point creep has been stupid. Same deal for UT deer points. Even as a resident, I regret spending the app fees for LE deer.

Been very happy hunting OTC deer and elk units the last few years and drawing an occasional random draw tag.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I only regret i didn't find website's (more so forums) like rokslide and hunttalk sooner, to give me real world opinions/information on hunting out west. I mean i looked at states websites etc. but some of them are like trying to read Chinese arithmetic when you are used to buying a "big game stamp" in my home state that gives you everything over the county (6 deer tags, bear tag, 3 turkey tags all at once). Draws, points, cubed, etc. can get overwhelming when you dont actually know how they work state to state.

As far as points, i am buying them in Wyoming, South Dakota, Georgia (for gator) and Iowa, i bought a couple for colorado last year but they changed stuff around where you have to buy a "qualifying" license etc. so i said the heck with it, i'll just hunt OTC there if i ever go there.

I just started my western adventures when i turned 40, so sheep are pretty much out of the picture, therefore i have no real desire to even hunt them

Like alot of you all mentioned, I will likey burn points when i accumulate 4 or so points to get into decent but not trophy units. I dont see myself ever sitting on 10-12 points lol, unless due to circumstances i dont get to hunt a state for a while etc. I just want to get out there and have fun, check some things off a bucket list, etc.

As far as trophies go, I have found them on public land not known for them in virginia, so i am sure i can do the same out west!

Chad E

WKR
Lol....it helps to understand debate. Which clearly you failed in school. I presented a legit conversation. I'm not the one questioning said proof. You are. It's up to you to debunk me. What, you think I'm gonna prove your argument for you? Special kind of stupid ain't ya? 😂😂😂

Why we are at throwing random absurdities around and discussing the merits of debate.

Well this one time I heard from an unnamed game warden that anyone named BearBow77 was completely full of it....prove me wrong.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Lol....it helps to understand debate. Which clearly you failed in school. I presented a legit conversation. I'm not the one questioning said proof. You are. It's up to you to debunk me. What, you think I'm gonna prove your argument for you? Special kind of stupid ain't ya?
"I talked to a guy once" suddenly makes you a subject matter expert I see . Nice. I learned a long time ago to never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. You posted fabricated numbers that you can't back up with actual documentation, and when asked, your response is typical of most internet keyboard warriors. Have a great night.

BearBow77

FNG
"I talked to a guy once" suddenly makes you a subject matter expert I see . Nice. I learned a long time ago to never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. You posted fabricated numbers that you can't back up with actual documentation, and when asked, your response is typical of most internet keyboard warriors. Have a great night.

You want me to post the wardens name? Put him on blast? 😂😂 Clearly you failed reading comprehension. Fact is, you had nothing to bring to the table to contradict my statements. Typical of common trolls.....
It's people like you that give hunting a bad name. Run along now kid.....run along

BearBow77

FNG
Why we are at throwing random absurdities around and discussing the merits of debate.

Well this one time I heard from an unnamed game warden that anyone named BearBow77 was completely full of it....prove me wrong.
Again....you want met to put the officer on blast? prove you wrong? You already did it yourself!

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider

I'll wait............

Humor us with this "proof" you speak of with a simple description since you apparently do not have possession of the material. Was the proof a part of an Arizona statute? Is there a secret organization that controls Arizona tag allotment and creates the tags for itself then makes a few for the F&G to issue through the draw? The possibilities are fascinating to ponder. Or the proof might be 80 proof in a bottle that is being emptied. Cheers.

Oh, based on the "up to 3 tags" per species F&G can provide to 501(3)C groups and the 10 total tags in the Big Game Super Raffle I can only count up 40 tags so some math using the proof you spoke of means Arizona only issues a total of under 1000 tags for big game. Fact is, the total is a bit higher than that so how do you explain this in light of your proof observed and validated? I smell booze.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.