MT Preference Point Question

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I entered the draw with 2 preference points and was one of the unlucky few who didn't draw with that.

I just popped onto My FWP in advance of applying tomorrow and noticed my account only has ONE preference point. Anyone know what might be going on or do I need to get on the horn with FWP tomorrow?

Checking back over receipts I bought a pref point in '21 and one in '22, then applied for the draw in '23, I may potentially have forgotten to buy a preference point last year, but that still doesn't explain how I'd end up with only 1 point on my account. (My understanding is that the '22 rule about zeroing points was not retroactive and again, I had TWO points last year.)

Cheers.

Erict

WKR
The change went in to effect in March, 2022. You need to call FWP for an explanation. You state that you had 2 PP last year - is that a guess or fact?

I'd guess that you had a point in 21, failed to apply for a license in 22 so you lost that point, later in 22 you bought a point and applied for a license but no PP in 23. By my math, that gives you 1 PP in the bank going in to this years application period.

OP
FlareBlitz91

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
I am extremely confident that I had two points in last years application. However, i don’t think i can verify that anymore unless there’s a way to access those results that I’m unaware of. I’ll bother them tomorrow and see what they say.

OP
FlareBlitz91

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
Update everyone: I’m a dumbass and if you run into the same problem you’re probably one too.

Lady on the phone was super nice and helped me with a different issue as well.

OP
FlareBlitz91

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
Well what was the dumbassery about?

Basically what was said above is mostly correct. I bought a point in ‘21 and ‘22 but because i didn’t apply in ‘22 i lost the ‘21 point (i think that new rule applying immediately is a little messed up but what’s done is done.)

I applied last year but didn’t select the option to buy a point. So while i should have had two points going in I didn’t and must have misremembered.

I bought bonus points last year so not sure how i missed the check box for pref points but that’s what happened. I checked my receipts and everything and confirmed, so while this year i could still have come in with 3 I’ll only have 2.

I’m not sweating it, i made a mistake last year and certainly will pay attention to all of the check boxes in the future.

It's definitely a lot to keep track of, especially if you are also applying in other states.

At least with 2 points you'll have a decent shot, looking to be about 75% this year, compared to 80% plus in previous years. You probably already know the deal with party application, but if you can find a buddy with three points, your average should guarantee you both draw.

Hopefully they can change the system soon, its only going to keep getting worse