AR triggers

eric1115

WKR
So I know this has been beat to death all over the Internet, but why not one more thread? .223 on big game has been talked about all over the Internet too, but lots of bad info based on feels or wrong assumptions.

I'm planning on putting new triggers in a couple of AR's, and right now about 90% sure I want to do the LaRue MBT2s.

My impression is that I don't want a cartridge style (CMC, Rise, Timney etc etc) for reliability reasons.

My impression is that the LaRue is a worthwhile upgrade from the various Schmid triggers (probably to include the PSA Sabre, and other similar rebranded ones), and that they give up nothing in reliability and very little in feel to Geissele triggers like the SSA-E at 2-3x cost, and nothing at all to the G2. Any others to consider?

My impression is that I do want two stage (I like a good single stage bolt gun trigger, but I actually really don't mind the two stage on the Howa I also have). Semi auto and light single stage seems to me like a less than ideal combination, but I'm open to hearing why it's better.

I currently just have the slightly upgraded mil-spec triggers. 4.5-5.5ish lb, 1.25 stage is probably a decent description.

For those who have used a bunch of different ones, what would you correct about my assumptions/thoughts? I can't imagine I'm right about all of them!

wyogoat

WKR
I have two Larue triggers and feel like they are a great trigger. One was on a rifle I shot a lot and I would highly recommend them, especially for the cost as you pointed out.

From my experience, the Geissele SSAE is definitely a better trigger and I prefer it. However, the Larue is very nice at a lower price point. If you have the $ to spare, get the G.
I have both and waited until the SSAE was on a big sale until price difference was negligible. Geissele is better but I don't think LaRue would offend anyone.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I have an MBT trigger in my SBR with no complaints and wouldn't hesitate to put them in future builds.

SEtoNWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried a bunch. I prefer the Larue MBT 2 over all. I have 3 SSAEs. They are very good but 50% more expensive, and I prefer the MBT2 regardless of price. I prefer the shape of the MBT, the first stage is a bit longer, the "wall" firmer, and the break crisper, when compared to the SSAE.

My favorite "cheap" trigger is the schmid two stage NiB. These can occasionally be found for ~$50, and are great for that price. I prefer the schmid 2 stage to the Geissele G2S basic 2 stage.

My advice is do not get "cartridge" triggers. CMC were the most disappointing for me. I've completely eliminated them in my rifles. I still have one TriggerTech 2 stage and it is ok. Not great and has an odd feeling, especially the reset. It lives in a lower that doesn't see much use and I'll probably replace it some day. Plus, way overpriced.

I like the NiB "enhanced" Schmid mil-spec single stage triggers for guns that might see "high stress" use.

For hunting (or more precise shooting) it is Larue MBT2 > G SSAE > Schmid 2 stage. No need to complicate it further.

Last edited:
OP
E

eric1115

WKR
I have tried a bunch. I prefer the Larue MBT 2 over all. I have 3 SSAEs. They are very good but 50% more expensive, and I prefer the MBT2 regardless of price. I prefer the shape of the MBT, the first stage is a bit longer, the "wall" firmer, and the break crisper, when compared to the SSAE.

My favorite "cheap" trigger is the schmid two stage NiB. These can occasionally be found for ~$50, and are great for that price. I prefer the schmid 2 stage to the Geissele G2S basic 2 stage.

My advice is do not get "cartridge" triggers. CMC were the most disappointing for me. I've completely eliminated them in my rifles. I still have one TriggerTech 2 stage and it is ok. Not great and has an odd feeling, especially the reset. It lives in a lower that doesn't see much use and I'll probably replace it some day. Plus, way overpriced.

I like the NiB "enhanced" Schmid mil-spec single stage triggers for guns that might see "high stress" use.

For hunting (or more precise shooting) it is Larue MBT2 > G SSAE > Schmid 2 stage. No need to complicate it further.
Thanks for your input! Your account of these different triggers definitely tracks well with where my thoughts are on them. I appreciate you taking the time!

ElPollo

WKR
I’ve used the RRA varmint trigger for about 6 years and have had nothing but good results with it. It’s a non-cartridge option that doesn’t seem to get a lot of traction, likely due to its name. It’s a 2-stage mil-spec type trigger that has a nice crisp 3.5ish# break and it’s inexpensive (often under $100. It beats my friend’s fancy CMC cartridge triggers in both performance and reliability. I’ve drop tested it a fair bit and have never had it fail.

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
I’ve used the RRA varmint trigger for about 6 years and have had nothing but good results with it. It’s a non-cartridge option that doesn’t seem to get a lot of traction, likely due to its name. It’s a 2-stage mil-spec type trigger that has a nice crisp 3.5ish# break and it’s inexpensive (often under $100. It beats my friend’s fancy CMC cartridge triggers in both performance and reliability. I’ve drop tested it a fair bit and have never had it fail.
I've never even seen that one. Interesting. Have you used the LaRue?

I combine 3.5# JP springs and enhanced Schmid single stage triggers. Trigger pull (average) is about 3.75#.

I am personally not a fan of 2 stage triggers and don’t buy any of the rationales on why a single stage is not safe for civilian use.

ElPollo

WKR
I've never even seen that one. Interesting. Have you used the LaRue?
I have not. But my understanding is that you pay for the LaRue name. My RRA Varmint is really crisp and I breaks right at 3.5# with about 1/16” of take up on the first stage and another 1/16” of overtravel. The reset is nice and audible and tactile. I’ve seen them for as low as $80, which about what I paid for mine back when. Right to bear.com has them now for $93.95. Look them up. I’ve seen very little negative about the RRA match and varmint triggers.

VuduDoc

FNG
I’ve got experience with all the options you mentioned. Last year I sold off all my drop-in (“cartridge”) triggers due to reliability issues, especially in the cold. I had a CMC 3.5lb flat, Timney Impact (worst one), and Rise 134. I LOVE the LaRue MBT2S. I think it’s 95% of a SSA-E at 50% the cost. All my “precision” or hunting builds will be getting MBT2S.

Others I’ve tried and like are the ALG ACT and BCM PNT for affordable enhanced mil-spec single stage upgrades. Heard good stuff about the SOLGW enhanced combat or whatever they call it.

I’d like to try the Schmid single and double-stage just to compare but otherwise I’m satisfied and likely won’t look elsewhere.

11boo

WKR
I know they aren’t cool anymore, but if you find RRA 2 stage match triggers they are gtg, I have one Larue, and I can’t tell the difference.

11boo

WKR
I have not. But my understanding is that you pay for the LaRue name. My RRA Varmint is really crisp and I breaks right at 3.5# with about 1/16” of take up on the first stage and another 1/16” of overtravel. The reset is nice and audible and tactile. I’ve seen them for as low as $80, which about what I paid for mine back when. Right to bear.com has them now for $93.95. Look them up. I’ve seen very little negative about the RRA match and varmint triggers.
Yeah, I think my first RRA was about 75.00. Shot it for a while and liked it enough to go buy another. Went back to the same shop and he was getting out of the AR accessories game, had them on sale for 65. Bought 3.

They work well in large frame DPMS too, once you knock .030” off the tip, or they bear to heavy on the bolt carrier.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

The issue with RRA 2-stage triggers is longevity with high round counts. They wear out and start failing. They were pretty common 20 years ago in certain places, but under use there were enough failures that they all got pulled and no longer used. They are a good feeling trigger, and for light’ish use are generally fine. However, with Larue 2-stage triggers being sub $100, and that they are solid under extremely heavy long term use, makes choosing them over the RRA with less reliability/longevity, easy.

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
The issue with RRA 2-stage triggers is longevity with high round counts. They wear out and start failing. They were pretty common 20 years ago in certain places, but under use there were enough failures that they all got pulled and no longer used. They are a good feeling trigger, and for light’ish use are generally fine. However, with Larue 2-stage triggers being sub $100, and that they are solid under extremely heavy long term use, makes choosing them over the RRA with less reliability/longevity, easy.
I've wondered whether the s7 tool steel that LaRue talks about makes a real difference, sounds like yes?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I've wondered whether the s7 tool steel that LaRue talks about makes a real difference, sounds like yes?

Ehh. I haven’t seen a lifespan of any Geissele 2 stage SSA based trigger, Larue MBT 2 stage, or LMT 2 stage. That’s with quite a few triggers with over 100,000 rounds on them, and lots with 30-50,000.