Archery elk hunt within 2 hours of Denver

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
Here is my situation:
My sister-in-law decided to move to Denver about a month ago. My wife wants to go visit her and told me I could plan a hunt around it, but we have to fly. Plan is to have them drop me off somewhere within 2 hours of Denver solo backpack hunt for the week, and then they'll pick me up, earlier if I put something down. We will probably looking to go opening weekend of elk, but that could be flexible.

I have combed through success % and what not for all the areas I think I could probably get to and they aren't good. I am guessing much more pressure and less elk close to the population hub. Not really set on a unit, but have been looking at areas around Rocky Mtn National park, so that we can check that out after they pick me up. Not fully set on this idea, but it looks like there is adequete public land in the area.

What I am looking for is any suggestions on what to concentrate on while e-scouting to make this trip more successful. I'm guessing this time of year I should be looking around treeline based on what I have read. However last year while deer hunting in the San Juan's above treeline I didn't see an elk, plenty of bucks though.

Willing to take any advice anybody has on making this hunt more successful. I appreciate any responses, and am open to PM's as well.

Success % in all OTC isn't very good. A lot of "casual" archery locals hunt those easy-to-drive-to units. There are elk in those units, and a determined hunter with no experience in any unit probably has as good a chance there as anywhere. Have fun!

Have you watched Randy Newberg's ELK TALK "SYSTEM" for finding elk? They're on YouTube. Randy splits the season up into sections and tries to focus on what elk need during that time of year. My personal opinion is that newer hunters out west focus far too much on trying to find the elevation that animals are at. In my experience they're less likely to be at a given elevation as they are to be where they can access all of their needs during that time of year.

Good luck!

I'm looking at maybe 12 and/or 231 myself as a potential diy.

Also, check out rokslide.com. There's an elk specific forum on there and Randy actually just posted a couple of days ago that he's putting out a whole new series on e-scouting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking at maybe 12 and/or 231 myself as a potential diy.

Also, check out rokslide.com. There's an elk specific forum on there and Randy actually just posted a couple of days ago that he's putting out a whole new series on e-scouting

Lol. Sorry. I am on rokslide. Thought I was on one of the other forums on my Tapatalk! SMH

There are a lot of units within a 2 hour drive that are OTC, and there are a boatload of elk in those units. They will inhabit the steepest darkest terrain they can find due to the lacksidasical pressure they endure. If you are willing to get into those areas, you should be in the thick of them.
I often tell folks that you can throw a dart west of I25 and find an elk within a 2 mile circle from it.

You will have a lot of other recreational/non-hunter users in those areas as well, hikers, campers, 4 wheelers, mtn. bikers, horseback riders, etc. during September. I'd look at the OTC units with a fair amount of wilderness area (eliminates motorized travel) and would also look at areas that border draw units.

Start here or on google earth and find some elky looking areas with timber and water with food nearby.
Colorado Parks and Wildlife Atlas

I hunted within 2 hours of Denver last September. I only saw 1 other hunter. Saw elk each day, and lots of sign. As others have said, there are a lot of places to hunt. I only saw 1 other hunter. It's definitely doable!

I hunted within 2 hours of Denver last September. I only saw 1 other hunter. Saw elk each day, and lots of sign. As others have said, there are a lot of places to hunt. I only saw 1 other hunter. It's definitely doable!

Now to see if anyone has learned anything in the past few weeks, do not post that unit number on the internet!

Last edited:
Find a place or two that looks ‘elky’ And hunt it.

I have lots of spots I’ve killed elk I can hear vehicles driving.

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. Tried to be vague enough in the question to not lead to any ruffled feathers. Do you guys think 1st week is the way to go for less hunting pressure?

No. First week is often a weird mix of guys that know what first week means to the elk (it's hot and the rut isn't doing much), and guys that have pent up "I haven't hunted" angst who go out and bugle their asses off regardless of what the elk are doing. I've seen more idiots the first week of archery and rifle than all other weeks combined.

Honestly, second week would be the earliest that I would go. Probably more real hunters in the second week, but fewer yahoos. And you are getting into the pre-rut more so bugling is more effective, along with wallow and water sitting.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeremy

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. Tried to be vague enough in the question to not lead to any ruffled feathers. Do you guys think 1st week is the way to go for less hunting pressure?

I need two hands to count the number of opening weekend BUGLING bull archery harvests I have been a part of, and that is around 75% of the opening weekends I have seen.

I need two hands to count the number of opening weekend BUGLING bull archery harvests I have been a part of, and that is around 75% of the opening weekends I have seen.

I’ve had too much to drink to interpret this.

There's a reason the season is 4 weeks long - not a week.
Ive killed elk in every week of the season.

Dont over-think it or let the internet confuse you - pick a week and get after it.

I’ve had too much to drink to interpret this.

Better drunk roksliding than texting an ex. Right now I’m trying to find a place within about 3 miles of a road but away from a trailhead. I have to pack it out alone so don’t want to bite of more than I can chew if I do strike paydirt. Just looking for some the right terrain. Do you expect them to be around treeline early, or are they just “where you find them”

Back