Archery elk in 2017

mherne

FNG
Looking to do my first archery Elk hunt in 2017 as well. Live in NY and in my early 30's if anyone from the area is looking to team up as well. As of now I am solo.
Where in NY?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kilboars

WKR
I hunted my first Elk with a group of guy from the Bowhunter forum. The big group goes on even years but many guys go every year. Unit 45 CO OTC

Kilboars Hunt Club

Trial153

WKR
I drive from WI every year, regardless of where I hunt. ID, NM, CO, WY, MT, AZ. It's just more logical for me and meat/gear transport.

This site is different than most, and I'm not pissing on anyone's Cheerio's, but when it comes down to it 90% of the people who reply on these types of posts won't be in the mountains next year. My suggestions (coming from experience and loving the mountains) are to buy ALL of the gear that YOU need. Scout the areas you want to hunt (boots on ground/maps/phone calls) and be ready to hunt solo. If a partner works out, great, but be prepared so your hunt isn't cut short or ruined because of someone else.

This sums it up ^^

Don't hang your hat on anyone going with you. Most times they will find an excuse not go then your left hanging out to dry.
Just make the commitment to go alone and follow through no matter what. Honestly unless you spent a week or so with someone and know for a fact your compatible to hunt together your taking a risk. They get bored, their wife is bitching at them, ect, ect ....next thing you know your changing plans and leaving early.
Save yourself the headaches of an unknown partner. It's one less variable in the way of success

I'm in Illinois. I would be up for a group hunt. I went out to MT this year for archery elk. I wasn't able to fill my tag, but I had a good time. The drive is killer doing it solo.

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in, saving today, graduate in August and setting away time for my first mountain hunt.

Now I'll come back to this when the time gets closer, and understand that some cannot make it, but I will not let that get me down.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Looked up some intel and discovered a few good units with fair success rate, but also pretty rough terrain. I'm in Utah and looking to do the OTC any sex. Ill be driving as G Junction is only 4 hrs from y house. I have a friend there and I will be seeking more info from him on decent spike camp, bivy hunts. I elk hunt each year here in Utah mtns, but want to get a bull before I turn 125 yrs old ( stupid draw takes 20 yrs )

I'm 52 , life time hunter, archery, will be towing 5th wheel, then hiking to spike camp, then maybe day hunts or even bivy hunts from there.

2 buddies and myself will be hunting near Steamboat between sept9th-17th. We all have our vacation in and are in the planning stages now. They are comming over thurs night so we can sit down and hash out a few more details on what we need to do between now and sept.

I will be heading to CO for my first western backcountry experience for early archery elk this year. My brother and my cousin both say they want to go, but lets just say I will be prepared to go solo...It's about 1100 miles from my home in Arkansas to the general area I have tentatively chosen to hunt, so I will be driving. I have plenty of vacation time at work, so deciding between saving time by flying vs. having everything and the kitchen sink in the truck if I need it was an easy decision. I plan on doing a 7-10 day hunt spiking out but will have 3 or 4 spots in mind in case I have to hike out and drive to my 2nd, 3rd, or 4th spot if either I can't find elk or hunting pressure is worse than expected. Ive been planning this for about 2 years around other people and have not been able to go yet. Sometime around July of last year, I decided to say "F it, THIS guy is going to hunt elk in the mountains next year! Ya'll are welcome to tag along, but if you can't, I'll send you a postcard"