Archery Elk Unit 44 Idaho

Howdy, just found out I drew the Unit 44 Archery ELK TAG FOR 2019. This is an all September hunt. Any words of wisdom from those who have hunted this unit? I have the whole month to hunt.

Is a motor cycyle necessary?

Have done some internet, Google Earth and mapstudy research,and have not heard back from the biologist yet, but they increased the number of tags this year so populations look good.

Thanks

Howdy, just found out I drew the Unit 44 Archery ELK TAG FOR 2019. This is an all September hunt. Any words of wisdom from those who have hunted this unit? I have the whole month to hunt.

Is a motor cycyle necessary?

Have done some internet, Google Earth and mapstudy research,and have not heard back from the biologist yet, but they increased the number of tags this year so populations look good.

Thanks

Congrats on pulling a great tag! No specific intel to give specific to that unit for elk. The muleys have a migratory pattern between 44 and 45 that’s important to understand if you had that tag, but with elk I think it’s more straight forward. They’re in there!

I like elk hunting on foot so as to be versatile, plus there are good trails that don’t allow motorized vehicle access. Since you have a whole month, I’d say ditch the bike. Also, you’re going to want to get the ElkNut mobile app if you don’t already have it. Best and most affordable way to learn the elk language before your hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cirlin Crowe
i had the any weapon tag last year willing to share hunt info if needed.
Thanks, sure would like to pick your brain a bit. I have never hunted or even hiked about in the unit.
I also don't have PM privileges on this forum yet. my contact is IDaho area code 6595640. Thanks

wishunter

FNG
Hello, I drew this unit last year for rifle. I'd be happy to share information. had a good hunt. It's a good tag.

OP
Cirlin Crowe
Sure would like to talk with you about your experiences, Several others have offered valuable insight on their hunts. I have generally good availability, but was gone on a river trip all last week so just now getting back on the grid. call or text North Idaho exchange 6595640. thanks

OP
Cirlin Crowe
Thanks, sure would like to pick your brain a bit. I have never hunted or even hiked about in the unit.
I also don't have PM privileges on this forum yet. my contact is IDaho area code 6595640. Thanks
Hello, I drew this unit last year for rifle. I'd be happy to share information. had a good hunt. It's a good tag.
Thanks for the info, following up on your suggestions.

Your in for a fun hunt, I’ve been over scouting for the rifle deer tag, lots of good bulls. I’ll send a pm.

OP
Cirlin Crowe
Your in for a fun hunt, I’ve been over scouting for the rifle deer tag, lots of good bulls. I’ll send a pm.
Thanks, Great to hear. Hopefully you found some nice deer, too.
I have been tuning up, body, gear, and shooting, had a great 3-D shoot yesterday and shot very well, especially the elk targets. Picked up a nice spotter and carbon tripod. Spending lots of time electronically scouting on the quads, ONX, google earth etc.

Jardo

WKR
i drew this unit for the late rifle hunt hunt. i won’t have time to scout before the hunt starts. do i need a guide in this unit or will i be ok without it?

any information would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Juan_ID

WKR
Not quite sure how I stumbled onto this thread as I don’t frequent the “elk” talk much but isn’t it funny how people ask for info then don’t post any kind of follow up when asked how it went? Shit blows me away, anyhow carry on, it can be a good hunt.

OP
Cirlin Crowe
How’d this tag turn out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saw some dandy bulls, and some big herds. Only had shots at smaller bulls, passed up early opportunities. Did not see the noted 5-10 bulls a day but also stalked a lot. Spent time in the west half of unit. Less pressure and i saw bigger bulls there. Lots of deer hunters about. Also fair number of rifle hunters scouting in September.Still, tag soup for me. I drew again for archery this season hope to build on what I learned in2019.