Archery hunting Central Mtns, Manti/San Rafael

curt514

FNG
Anyone have any advice for a first time Mule deer hunter in the Central Mtns, Manti/San Rafael?

I grew up hunting white tail in MO but mule deer appear to be completely different. I have drawn an archery tag for the area and I am just looking for some advice of where to start. I don't need anyones honey hole or anything like that. The size does not matter much to me but if I can at least fill the tag then I would be happy. I have already been told to purchase a cow/spike elk tag to have with me because I would have a greater likely hood of finding elk and I would be fine with that to.

Any advise of where to start would be appreciated.

KineKilla

WKR
Lots of good places to hunt and lots of road (ATV, Truck) access to get around. Most hunters flock to Skyline Dr which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd start up high then find a nice drainage and glass.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

OP
C

curt514

FNG
Thanks for all the replies and PM’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KineKilla

WKR
Most importantly and I do mean VITAL!...

If you see any great bull elk during your mule deer hunt, PM me their location. I have a friend holding a late season tag and need as many eyes scouting as I can get.

Have a great hunt!

Last edited:
OP
C

curt514

FNG
Most importantly and I do mean VITAL!...

If you see any great bull elk during your mule deer hunt, PM me their location. I have a friend holding a late season tag and need as many eyes scouting as I can get.

Have a great hunt!

Will do.

OP
C

curt514

FNG
Anyone have any new info? I have only been able to make one scouting trip and I was around 10k and every deer I saw was going down hill. I saw lots of tracks but no elk and mostly does.

OP
C

curt514

FNG
Well that was a bust. Spent 5 days around white mountain, black mountain, baseball flats and up to the nipple and saw nothing but does, fawns, and forks. The weather was in the 90’s and hadn’t rained in 3 weeks. Seemed like after 7 AM they would go into the trees and disappear until 10 min before dark. Then there was also the herd of 400 or so sheep around the fish creek area. They were just roaming from one mountain side to another a day.

Then there is also the fire south of white mountain. Going on 435 acres with 15% containment. There was one day with loads of smoke dumping down into the valley. I talked to lots of people over those few days and no one was really seeing anything. A couple guys said they had been there every year for 20 years and this was the worst they can remember.

If anyone else is heading that way I hope the season improves for you. With the kids starting school, work, and the apocalypse I will be done until the late season.

KineKilla

WKR
I'm headed down that way next weekend to retrieve cameras and do a quick bow hunt.

Sounds like the dry heat has them nocturnal. Pretty typical in this early season.

Keep at it, I'm sure their patterns will change eventually or you'll catch one being brave.

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
I have the rifle tag for that unit this year. Hunted it for archery last year and seen one group of decent bucks and even got a shot off on a nice 3x3 but was a clean miss on my part. Keep at it! They are in there! I have been hunting that unit for the last 10 years. Seems like every year I run into some guys that say its the worst they have ever seen!