Are Honda/Toyota/Mazda/Subaru overrated?

Yes Toyota is very reliable. I’ve owned 4 tundras, 2 4Runners and only 1 time did I have a minor issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rokbar

WKR
At a minimum, a toyota's resale value is going to out perform any automobile. We have 3 toyota's and one nissan. The nissan is ok, but I wish I had got a camry over the altima!

In my experience Honda and Toyota are at the top. Nissan used to be up there I think. My current 2010 Civic is at 411,000 miles as a daily driver. Plan on getting 500,000 out of it. My family has had several Honda and Totota vehicles which all have been great vehicles. If I can get 500,000 out of my Civic I think I'll look for a used Toyota Avalon or Lexus ES350.

wiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I have had great experiences with my Toyotas. My 2008 Tundra has 312,000 miles, 2013 Highlander has 140,000 miles and 2019 Tundra has 72,000 miles.

grfox92

WKR
Anyone have any thoughts 2008 Nissam Armada, there is a really nice one with 180k for sale that I'm think about.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
Before I got the tundra, my neighbor bought a Ford F150, some small displacement eco boost engine. He let me drive it around and dang it was nice.
I bought the Toyota anyway. His is still in the dealers shop, waiting on parts.

Only been 3 months lol. Like 20k miles on it. I told him he could borrow the tundra anytime.

luvsdux

FNG
Are they really that reliable? Have you owned American made cars that were unreliable and then you bought a Honda/Toyota/Mazda/Subaru and it was a lot better? Or are these 4 auto manufacturers overrated?
I think there was certainly a time when Japanese vehicles were more reliable but I've driven a 2015 F150 for about eight years now and can't even remember when I changed a headlight last. Fords also improved through the GMC bailout years to edge ahead on the domestic market but I'm of the opinion now that reliability parity exists.

luvsdux

FNG
One thing that a hard no for me is any vehicle with a timing belt. That's one reason I never bought a Subaru. My wife and I both average around 30k miles/year our cars so I would need one every couple years and I don't feel like changing one or paying for it. It's already a big enough pain in the ass changing brakes and doing oil changes.
Newer models of Subarus have timing chains so that may be an option now.

Fordguy

WKR
Still low miles (for me) on our little Mazda CX-5, around 80k. No issues yet. It's been to Wyoming hunting a few times now, and Michigan in the winter. It handles mud, snow, ice and lite off-road just fine with the all terrain tires I've got on it. I'd be happier with more ground clearance and some real towing ability, but for an awd daily driver that gets 30 mpg, I'm not complaining.

Rob5589

WKR
Not over rated but not perfect. We had a Civic that was very troublesome and a Mazda 6 that was garbage. At the same time we bought the Civic we bought a Honda Fit that was the best car to value we've owned. 20k otd and 376k miles before it warped and cracked the head.

Agree, definitely not overrated. I have had my fair share of Chevy and Ford vehicles. Toyota trucks and Honda cars for me. Great vehicles.

i think because they continue to make the same model of vehicle better and better vs always brining out a new model of something that wont take off.. all the American made cars that continue to preform are the ones that were introduced years and years ago..

I've been driving Toyota's or Lexus since I was in college. Hard to even get interested in any other brand. They are easy to work on, tough as hell. I beat the older pickups up bad in college, and still couldn't break more than minor stuff. Had a Ford Ranger with transmission issues, and an Explorer with transmission and suspension issues. Drive Dodges for work, had a 1500 that was in the shop for 2 weeks at 10k, with about a dozen different warranty issues, went in again at 60k for more issues. Total POS. If I HAD to buy an American truck brand, it would probably be a Chevy or GMC truck, my dad had pretty good luck with his 3500. But I would take a used built in Texas Tundra over a brand new truck from the big 3. Don't think I would even consider a car from them.

1982 Camry wagon - drove it to 310k, sold it to a friend, think he drove it over 500k.
1988 Toyota 4x4 truck - drove it to 200k+, changed the oil, had a water pump freeze in -30 Gunnison weather...
1994 Toyota 4x4 truck - drove it to 180k miles and then wrecked it...
2002 Tacoma - drove it to 150k miles and then a jackass in a Jeep wrecked it. Still pissed about this one.... was a stick shift that I bought new, only new off the lot vehicle I've ever purchased. Think I had to replace a couple O2 sensors and a thermostat, maybe $500 total in repairs.
2003 Tundra - drove it to 200k and sold it when it was due for a timing belt.
1998 LX 470 - drove it to 265k and sold it. Replaced a muffler that rusted out, and a water pump I think.
2009 RX350 - wife still drives it at 210k, just put new tires, shocks, struts and brake calipers/ rotors on it... mostly because she drives it daily on winding steep mountain roads. Will keep this until the '24 4-runner hybrids come out. Can't wait to buy one of these new off the lot. May just mothball it for the kids, but gas cars will probably be illegal to own by then.... lol.
2012 Tundra - Replaced a water pump at 110k, up to 135k now. Will keep this one forever, although I will probably add a 2025ish Tundra or LC when the plug-in hybrid version comes out.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
Had a RAV, could‘t wait to get rid of it. Wife got a Mini Cooper instead very happy with that.

Tried to like the Tundra but just didn’t plus Consumer report had Ford & Ram rated higher for the year I bought. Went with Ram, on second Ram. Been good to me so far.

If I was getting a small truck it’d be a Tacomo.