Are you pumped for OTC Colorado Elk?

I'm finding it very difficult to get motivated for OTC elk this year. I have a Mountain Goat tag right in the middle of the season, and scouting for that knowing there are only 3 other tag holders has my motivation high. OTC elk? With the limiting of more units this year, the NW corner getting hit pretty good, I can't help but wonder how the remaining OTC units (including the one I hunt) is going to look like.

In short, I'm supposed to go out to elk camp this weekend to pack water, do some preseason "chores" prior to season, but I'm having a hard time leaving goats knowing what's on the not so distant horizon!

What say you?

intunegp

WKR
I'm excited, but not necessarily in the same way as usual. I can see how your goat tag has you distracted and would likely be in the same boat.

For me this year, it's about curiosity. I've hunted the NW corner for deer and elk every year since 2013 and have been largely successful, only coming home empty handed 2-3 times. I know the area I prefer in my unit like the back of my hand and have put in hundreds of miles hiking, scouting, exploring, and hunting.

I considered heading elsewhere this fall but then I unexpectedly drew my buck tag, and I've always taken the philosophy that the year I don't pick up that OTC will be the year a BOAL crosses my path so I'll be heading out hoping to find a bull, a buck, or both.

Given the end-of-days reports coming from CPW, I'm curious about what the overall experience will be. Will there be more hunters than usual since it's still OTC or will the winter kill reports and shortened dates have some people staying home or heading elsewhere? Will I see significantly less animals since so many didn't survive the winter? Will I have to make big changes in strategy and approach because of that?

Hunting the same area so many years in a row has made me a bit complacent and I've spent the past several years piecing together a plan for when I finally decide to try something new, but it's hard to walk away from success for the unknown. All the excitement around winter kill and reduced tag allocations/shortened season dates has brought on the feeling that this year might be somehow different and has me curious and excited to see what happens out there this fall.

Focus on goats! Elk schmelk…..

I’ve been doing some scouting in my normal areas and the animals are few and far between so far this year. This season is gonna be rough.

If I had a goat tag Elk would be taking a backseat this fall. Don't get me wrong, I would still try to fit it in but am not as excited due to a few unknown factors. The winter kill and shortened seasons in the NW has me fearing that the less affected areas will see increased pressure.

cnelk

WKR
“Are you pumped for OTC Colorado Elk”

Not in the least. It gets less every year.

Will I go? Yep.
I have my good NonRes buddy coming out and we’ll do our best but looking forward just hanging out and brookie fishing mostly. Throw in some archery elk and call it a week.

We’ve been hunting and fishing together for over 40 years. Elk are way down on the Fun Meter.

OP
C
The focus is on goats without a doubt three hunters vs. god knows how many, not a hard decision. I guess I'm just finding less energy to deal with so many people and the sun and moon are lining up this year for it to get ugly.

For all you first times, enjoy!

Jbehredt

WKR
Not pumped. I hunt he NW corner, not one of the reduced tag areas but just outside of it. As if we didn’t have enough Minnesotans bumbling around last year…

Not pumped. I hunt he NW corner, not one of the reduced tag areas but just outside of it. As if we didn’t have enough Minnesotans bumbling around last
I hate rolling up to a hunting spot and seeing a MN plate there.Especially my secret hidey hole spots for turkeys, grouse and walleyes. That's why I take off my MN license plate and put on a California one so nobody suspects a thing!

I'll be bumbling around a mountain near you come September. Ope, Sorry bud! 🤣

In all seriousness, Good luck this fall. I hope us Minnesotans and other non residents don't make it too hard on you residents. I didn't want to hunt colorado with everybody else, but after going 0 for 6 on other elk tags, it's what I got and I'm gonna go hunt hard, respect the locals and the land and come home with the best elk I can.

11boo

WKR
Yep, I'm looking forward to it. But we have to take care of my daughter's ML elk and moose tags first.
It’s horrible cause I didn’t stick that bull. My NR friend did from my camp, and expert tutelage. Sadly, not even that last part
I had to bug out of camp for a couple nights and left him there solo. Took the wife to the wine festival in Palisade. They need to do that damn thing in August.
I had just pulled into my drive and that pic showed up. He quartered and packed it solo. Not far to the road, but the guy is a beast. Still hunt together,
he is showing up 9-5 for the month. We’re skipping opener, the mesa is a circus that weekend..

Been playing with my K3 I just got from a guy here. EXO was really good to me, shoulder straps and lumbar pad replaced. It fits me really well so far.
Boo Boo and critical aid kits all gone thru, replaced a bunch of worn/outdated stuff.

Menus planned. Block ice is laid in so I don’t have to hunt for it.

Shoot out back most nights to 40. Dialed in and happy there.

Lets have a great season!

IMG_6574.jpeg

And since you asked if I was pumped. See the dump pouch on the left, been wearing the pack running the dogs.

IMG_8084.jpeg

IMG_8050.jpeg
It is a dump pouch, after all.

Last edited: