Arizona unit 27 January hunt

I’m headed to 27 for the first of January. Was just wondering if anyone could give update on conditions. I know there has been some snow just curious if it has melted off and if not at what elevation is it? Thanks for any info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Weather right now and weather in another two weeks are two completely different things. Especially in 27 where you go from 3,500 ft elevation to 9,500 ft over pretty short spans.

Call the Alpine Ranger District Office (928) 339-5000 and ask them. Those guys are up around there everyday. They should be helpful but if not, call the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest Guys at (928) 333-4301 or the Petrified Forest National Park at (928) 524-6628.

bohntr

WKR
There’s still a lot of snow up top.....with four more days forecasted during Christmas. We’ll see if hey plow the highway good enough to travel. If you’re coming up from Morenci, that may be the better option. Lots of ice patches still on the highway just below the rim and up.

Ktex88

FNG
For those that have hunted in 27 before, what is the visibility like when glassing from up high? From Google Earth and OnX it looks kind of thick but its hard to tell. Looking in the 7,000-9,000 ft elevations.

bohntr

WKR
That elevation is mainly ponderosa forest with limited glassing. 5300-6400’ offers much better glassing opportunities, IMO.

Weather folks are forecasting snow from the day before Christmas through Friday. Talking about 18” of snow. Then another storm hitting January 1.