Arrow weight

Jotis

WKR
My arrow weight now is 400 grains that I use for deer hunting. Is this ok for elk? Dont really want to switch if I don't need to. Shooting axis now 27" 70 pounds

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 120 grains heavier and wouldn’t go any lighter for elk but in a perfect world yes you’ll be fine. What’s a 400 grain arrow out of a 70 pound bow sound like my buddies rx1 sounded like a 22 going off until the arrow weight got over 480

nphunter

WKR
You’ll be fine, I shot my first bull with a 60lb 27” bow, 330gr arrow with a shuttle-t chisel tip. Shot him at 53 yards and went all the way through and stuck under the skin on the far side. With a sharper head I would have easily blew right through. Last couple bulls were shot with arrows right at 400gr with zero issues.

If it were my setup and it was accurate I wouldn't change it. I haven't had issue with under 400 grains and a mechanical. I have slowly been increasing my arrow weight. But I haven't had one that wasn't a pass through.

Btaylor

WKR
From my experiences and what I have seen from some other guys, the lighter the TAW the more critical spot on tune is to achieving great penetration, esp with mechanicals. That said, I would not hesitate to hunt with your setup, esp with a fixed head. But I think after season if you play with a 50-100gr heavier set up, you will like how it penetrates and the difference it makes in bow noise.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What’s a 400 grain arrow out of a 70 pound bow sound like my buddies rx1 sounded like a 22 going off until the arrow weight got over 480

Your buddy needs a new bow, or his is really out of tune. An out of tune bow is a loud bow. I sometimes shoot my 380gr arrows at 75lbs and 32 1/2" draw, and they're just about as quiet as my 520gr arrows.

Bow noise is bow specific. IPhone sound app testing showed my Mathews Drenalin did not get quieter with 475 gr vs 375 gr arrows. My Hoyt Carbon Element did though it never sounded like a .22 going off! The Mathews was quieter than the Hoyt even though the velocity of each like arrow was the same from each bow. Had the Mathews set a couple pounds higher to achieve that.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
While I agree he needs a new bow that’s just because I don’t like the rx1, bow was tuned by no limits the day before it’s a well known fact that a heavier arrow makes a quieter bow.

From 375 to 550 grain arrows I killed the outta and none of my bows sounded like 22's.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

406unltd

WKR
My arrow weight now is 400 grains that I use for deer hunting. Is this ok for elk? Dont really want to switch if I don't need to. Shooting axis now 27" 70 pounds
I think you could. I would encourage a little heavier if it’s possible for you financially or whatever. Doable but I think you could do better if money isn’t an issue. If your speed is something you place high on your list then just shoot a good head that penetrates. Do what you think is best and are most comfortable with. Good luck

Trial153

WKR
I will go against the grain. Your too light.
If your going that light you at the very least need to scale down to a smaller profile COC head.

Sled

WKR

first i'll answer your question, then i'll be a smart ass. sorry but i can't help it. it's not you, it's me.

yes, 400gr will be fine. have you measured your FOC? i've done well with as little as 8% FOC but prefer 10-15% when i can get it. that said, i'm fine if the arrow stick in the boiler room and does more damage while the animal moves.

now, back to my illness. picture two "indians", feather not dot, standing next to each other with their stick bows asking if "X" grains or 175 feet per second is enough to kill an elk. we really are spoiled with technology. in another hundred years someone will be asking if their green laser beam is wide enough to sever the ascending aorta of whatever species survived then next ice age. well maybe a bit longer than a hundred years but you get the point.

good luck with your hunt, you'll be fine, try not to mess with stuff too much just before the season opens.