Aspiring mule deer hunter

I’m planning to replace whitetail hunting in my home state of Wisconsin with an annual trip west for mule deer/wt. I will be hunting with a rifle. My focus would be mulies, the idea of a giant bodied deer is really appealing to me. I’m planning on hunting Montana and something else for alternate years most likely being Kansas. I’ll be putting in for points for this coming fall and using one last season here as a practice run to learn to bone out a critter in the field, wear and use a pack and binoculars and camp in my truck. I plan on going mid to late November in Montana and December in Kansas.

Transportation/camping- I plan on sleeping in the back of my Tahoe for 4-5 days or until I’m tagged out (hopefully) on my first trips out of state. First goes will be pretty spartan but after I figure out the hunting end a little I’ll work on comfort for future trips. I’ve done a lot of these trips fishing and hunting around my state, they’re uncomfortable and living on peanut butter, water and sardines is pretty lame but it makes moving around easy and keeps cost down. I don’t own a four wheeler but have access to one, I would rather do everything on foot if possible for simplicity but don’t want to put myself at a huge disadvantage. At least in Montana I plan on being in the southeastern part of the state if that makes a difference.

pack- I have nothing, kept reducing what I brought into the woods to just a compass, knife, water bottle, some mule tape, 5 extra shells and my rifle. I’d like to stay close to that if possible but have something to pack meat out. Was looking at either just a basic freighter frame that I’d hike back to and grab if I shot something or maybe spending a little more for something I could wear the whole time with a dry bag to throw all my bulky outer layers in to keep from sweating them up. I’ve never packed out an animal, is there something specific I should have for game bags?

optics- I’ve never owned binoculars or glassed with them, never had a rangefinder either. I would like to keep cost down if possible. Being a flatland hunter I’d imagine I’ll have a tougher time gauging distance over tougher terrain and a rangefinder could be helpful. Are there decent lower cost options (under $300) that could be useful back home bowhunting?

boots/clothes- my equipment is a few decades back technology wise but it works great for what I currently do, I’m not sure how it will do out of the trees and into the wind and open ground. I have an outfitter brown Columbia wool jacket and bibs that I love, a couple woolrich wool red plaid parkas, a Cabelas pack vest and a pair of danner vital 800 gram boots. I do have a ton of wool and polypropylene under layers/socks. I’m not a stranger to really cold weather but we don’t have the wind here

rifle/scope- I have a howa 22” barreled .308 with a 3-9x40 Nikon. I’ve killed a metric shit ton of deer with this rifle and I’m extremely comfortable with it. Should be the no brainer to take out somewhere new but it’s ugly, and boring. I don’t even like using it but I’ll carry something else for a couple days with no luck grab the howa and be hanging deer that night, has some serious mojo to it. I shoot 180 grain soft points here and it anchors everything on the spot but causes a lot more meat loss than I’d like if I clip the shoulder. Would probably use Hornady 150 grain SST super performance if they shoot alright in my rifle.

I also have a .257 Roberts 24” barreled Mauser with a 3-9x40 leupold that is gorgeous. I helped my grandpa pick it out almost 20 years ago and now that he’s passed away I have it. I’ve just refinished the stock and plan on pillar bedding it. 117 grain hornady super performance ammo almost matches the 150 grain super performance in .308 on paper so there’s not much of an advantage I can see to it. I thought about having it rechambered to 25-06 but I think I’d be better suited to spend that money on a basic reloading kit.

Any help I can get is really appreciated. I’m new to Using internet forums so I tried to make this a little easier to read than my last post but I’m sure it’s still a friggen novel.

OP
Jigmasterflex
My best advice would be to make your primary focus on learning about the deer and less about the equipment. Your rifle and gear matter much less than knowing your target animal and being willing to put the work in. The only caveat to that is good binoculars.
I’m on a tight budget so I take a lot of time to pick at buying equipment, I want to start really early. I’m reading up all I can find about mule deer but I’m not too worried about being under prepared there. I understand that most of what I know won’t be applicable but when it comes down to it I’ll need to learn for myself on the fly how to be successful. I’m just worried about the gear end of things so I’m not limited too much and learning how to navigate what lands are accessible and by what means so I don’t waste time when I’m there.

If you've never used binoculars, I would start there right now. Get a decent pair. Vortex and Nikon make some very good affordable options for a first set on a budget. Nikon Pro-Staff 3S or Vortex Crossfires in 10x42 would be a good starting point. Start using them now and try birdwatching or spotting other local wildlife in low light at the end of the day or first thing in the morning.

hobbes

WKR
Your sleeping arrangements sound like a decent plan, but know that it can get really cold during November in Montana. This year wasn't too bad, but I've hunted in negative to single digit temps. That could be some really cold nights sleeping in a vehicle. I planned on a pheasant hunt out there from under the topper on my Tundra and was going to use a Mr. Heater with the sliding windows cracked. I had someone go with me so I didn't try it.

The days are short in November so I often never make it back to the truck until dark, so you'll need to be able to carry water and food with you. You can carry that and a few items to take care of any animal (knife and game bags) that you kill in just about any daypack. You're wearing blaze orange, so camo isn't important. Whatever works for you on getting the animal out. You may kill one close enough to drag it out or you may kill one far enough that breaking it down is easiest. I've packed them on my back in two loads in a MR Metcalf. If there is snow, I'll toss all of the quarters in a small ice fishing sled that I retrieve from the truck and not put it on my back. The worst part about dragging it out whole is doing something with the carcass. You can debone and leave it there and it's perfectly legal. Take it back and dump it after processing and it's littering and illegal. Some states won't want you to bring any bones across state lines due to CWD, so deboning will be necessary anyway. Whatever works for you to pack it out is fine. There is nothing that says you can't carry bone in quarters over your shoulder. Also, any cheap set of cotton game bags will work fine. You'll want four or five for bone in. I usually go with a bag for each hind quarter, one bag that has both shoulders, and one bag for loins and all scrap meat including the neck. if you want to split up the fronts you'll need five bags. If you are boning out then four will definitely be enough.

Optics - You can hunt without them, but I'd feel completely blind. I spend most of the time glassing then working my way in on bucks that I find. I use 8 x 42 Vipers but would prefer 10 x 42's. The binos listed above would be a good start. I like to have a spotting scope to look a buck over to see if I want to spend time on stalking him, but that isn't entirely necessary. You'll just need to get closer to see if it's a buck that you want to shoot.

Your boots and clothes will work fine. A hoody and a neck gaiter help stop wind from going down the neck of any coat or shirt. Think layers when it comes to dressing.

Either of your rifles will work just fine. I've been shooting them with 7 mm mag and 175 grain core loks. I'll probably be reloading something different next season. I'm planning to start tinkering with 160 gr Nosler partitions. I have a 308 with 180 grain soft points as back up.

I like to carry some sort of pad to sit on while glassing because the ground is always cold and often covered in snow. I'm currently using piece off of cheap thermarest ridgerest pad that I cut off and roll up. It insulates my backside from the cold ground and keeps me dry from melting snow.

I write "novels" online also, so don't worry about that.

Last edited:
Optics are a must, a good pack is worth its weight in gold, get synthetic gamebags. Everything else is trial and error territory imo, and you should start with what you have. Just keep an eye on the weather and don't do anything stupid.

If you want to hunt anything out west including mulies you need a backpack. You’ll need more than what’s on your list not to mention you’ll need to be able to pack deer out. Also to carry the heavy coat you’ll put on when you sit down to glass. I don’t think you’re taking November in Montana seriously enough. Speaking of glass get the best binos you can afford.

OP
Jigmasterflex
If you want to hunt anything out west including mulies you need a backpack. You’ll need more than what’s on your list not to mention you’ll need to be able to pack deer out. Also to carry the heavy coat you’ll put on when you sit down to glass. I don’t think you’re taking November in Montana seriously enough. Speaking of glass get the best binos you can afford.
Let me know what I’m missing, seriously I’m not being sarcastic I just want to know if there are important things I’m missing. Pack wise I’m not against something nice but I’d hate to drop $500 in something to carry my carry my clothes and meat if I can reasonably do it with a $100-$150 Kelty cache hauler, cabelas frame or a surplus filbe pack. If it’s gunna be too cold to sleep in my truck I could try to find a hotel but I’d rather eliminate drive time to and from the area I’m hunting. I was planning on loading up every wool blanket I have and bundling into the mess, worst case scenario I have to run the truck with the heat on for intervals.

OP
Jigmasterflex
Don't forget good boots. One of the main things that Sends people home early
I’m definitely wary of that. I think my boots fit well but I don’t really put much thought into it beyond being blister free and not rolling ankles. I’ve done a lot of 10 mile days driving deer but I don’t know what to expect hunting out west, probably more distance but hopefully less sweating. They definitely aren’t top of the line (Danner Vital 800 gram) and I’ll probably end up getting a second pair by the time I go, maybe something nicer. I’m not sure what I’ll run into in Montana but I’m usually soaked up to my knees or worse every other day of hunting in Wisconsin unless it’s really cold. Helps to keep a rotation of boots.

Buck197

WKR
I’m planning to replace whitetail hunting in my home state of Wisconsin with an annual trip west for mule deer/wt. I will be hunting with a rifle. My focus would be mulies, the idea of a giant bodied deer is really appealing to me. I’m planning on hunting Montana and something else for alternate years most likely being Kansas. I’ll be putting in for points for this coming fall and using one last season here as a practice run to learn to bone out a critter in the field, wear and use a pack and binoculars and camp in my truck. I plan on going mid to late November in Montana and December in Kansas.

Transportation/camping- I plan on sleeping in the back of my Tahoe for 4-5 days or until I’m tagged out (hopefully) on my first trips out of state. First goes will be pretty spartan but after I figure out the hunting end a little I’ll work on comfort for future trips. I’ve done a lot of these trips fishing and hunting around my state, they’re uncomfortable and living on peanut butter, water and sardines is pretty lame but it makes moving around easy and keeps cost down. I don’t own a four wheeler but have access to one, I would rather do everything on foot if possible for simplicity but don’t want to put myself at a huge disadvantage. At least in Montana I plan on being in the southeastern part of the state if that makes a difference.

pack- I have nothing, kept reducing what I brought into the woods to just a compass, knife, water bottle, some mule tape, 5 extra shells and my rifle. I’d like to stay close to that if possible but have something to pack meat out. Was looking at either just a basic freighter frame that I’d hike back to and grab if I shot something or maybe spending a little more for something I could wear the whole time with a dry bag to throw all my bulky outer layers in to keep from sweating them up. I’ve never packed out an animal, is there something specific I should have for game bags?

optics- I’ve never owned binoculars or glassed with them, never had a rangefinder either. I would like to keep cost down if possible. Being a flatland hunter I’d imagine I’ll have a tougher time gauging distance over tougher terrain and a rangefinder could be helpful. Are there decent lower cost options (under $300) that could be useful back home bowhunting?

boots/clothes- my equipment is a few decades back technology wise but it works great for what I currently do, I’m not sure how it will do out of the trees and into the wind and open ground. I have an outfitter brown Columbia wool jacket and bibs that I love, a couple woolrich wool red plaid parkas, a Cabelas pack vest and a pair of danner vital 800 gram boots. I do have a ton of wool and polypropylene under layers/socks. I’m not a stranger to really cold weather but we don’t have the wind here

rifle/scope- I have a howa 22” barreled .308 with a 3-9x40 Nikon. I’ve killed a metric shit ton of deer with this rifle and I’m extremely comfortable with it. Should be the no brainer to take out somewhere new but it’s ugly, and boring. I don’t even like using it but I’ll carry something else for a couple days with no luck grab the howa and be hanging deer that night, has some serious mojo to it. I shoot 180 grain soft points here and it anchors everything on the spot but causes a lot more meat loss than I’d like if I clip the shoulder. Would probably use Hornady 150 grain SST super performance if they shoot alright in my rifle.

I also have a .257 Roberts 24” barreled Mauser with a 3-9x40 leupold that is gorgeous. I helped my grandpa pick it out almost 20 years ago and now that he’s passed away I have it. I’ve just refinished the stock and plan on pillar bedding it. 117 grain hornady super performance ammo almost matches the 150 grain super performance in .308 on paper so there’s not much of an advantage I can see to it. I thought about having it rechambered to 25-06 but I think I’d be better suited to spend that money on a basic reloading kit.

Any help I can get is really appreciated. I’m new to Using internet forums so I tried to make this a little easier to read than my last post but I’m sure it’s still a friggen novel.
Where are you at in Wisconsin hoss? Im a muley hunter, about 7 miles from WI line, happy to help in anyway I can sir.

TheGDog

WKR
Have you got your boots/socks situation sorted out? Figure on a setup where you can do...if you had to... up to 20-25miles in a single day. I've had to do this when decided that I needed to packout the meat first... then come back for the tent and stuff later, in order to keep the weight down as much as you can when hoofing out the meat 6+ miles. But I do have lower back injuries that limit me to some degree.

Binos + Tripod. If the habitat is Woodland, the Tripod becomes a little less of a necessity. But if you're talking about OpenCountry/DesertHills... you need a Tripod. If only binos, tripod doesn't have to be all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips. With the tripod holding them still it's freakin' magical what you can see! And you'll hear this from everybody, but, buy thee best damn Binos you can afford! It does make a difference. With even just a 10x42... but really top tier glass, you'd be amazed how far away you can see off the tripod! And that top tier glass? It provides your brain soo much more data in the FOV it's not even funny. Biggest difference I noticed was the depth-of-field and clarity at distance. Like if you have a 10x top-tier glass, and a 15x mid-tier glass... hands-down you'll find yourself wanting to grab for that 10x with top-tier glass. AND... you can always turn around and sell the top-tier glass for a good price! After you get your Trpod, start saving up for the Outdoorsman's Bino Stud Mounting system. That setup is slick and easy!

RE: pack - bigger the better. Just make sure it's as comfy as possible on the packbelt and shoulder straps. Practice getting into your pack like a turtle after it's loaded with it laying on the ground and flipping yourself over once clicked-in and working yourself up to standing. Whenever possible, drag the pack over and lean it up against a tree before getting into it. Helps a lot. Total PITA flipping over on flat ground with nothing to grab for to help pull you over.

Meat bags - personally I dig on the Kifaru meat bags! Don't weight anything, and they hold the meat in a cylindrical shape in your pack for better weight distribution. 1 fits a 200 Lbs deer's meat in it. Bring along one of those Alaskan Game Bags for the head+hide. The meat bags won't work as well for that. Again, my opinion here.

Weapon? Whichever one is lighter for carry, but can still reachout a bit, and you're comfortable/familiar with the reticle and getting setup and on target at distance rapidly. And some shooting sticks for the rifle. Those Cabelas Kwik stix are my goto, because their so lightweight and quick to deploy. But there are certainly better quality ones out there, but do you really wanna lug'em around all over the place though? I'll usually take like the Primos Trigger-Stick Tripod Short Height version if making sits for predators. But for deer in OpenCountry, since I don't know if I'll be on a sit for a long time or doing a lot of hoofing it, those Kwik Stix are the goto. Realistically they're good for like I'd say up to a 200-250yd shot. If farther than that, just use your pack instead, or, just get closer!

Rangefinder? There are cheaper ones, I was using a Nikon Acculon up until this year when lost it. Not always the easiest to get a reading on it. Also not illuminated. Harder to get a good reading at distance with the cheaper ones. This year got Vortex 1800 I think. Illuminated is very cool. Can be hard to see unlit LCD in low lite, especially if dark background.

Diggin' on the Osprey 100oz water bladder. It has a rigid side to it to go against your back, makes loading into the pocket/pouch for it in your pack much easier. If you need to bring a lot of water like I do, for extra bags Platypus makes 100oz ones with just a screw top to them, for holding the extra water. They are the least expensive I've found. I like Vapur watter bag-bottles for when I'm on an ambush sit. With practice you can open them and drink silently. Plus as they empty you get back space in your pack!

EDIT: And a big stinking cooler! I have the YETI 110. I have a row of the YETI ice blocks laying flat across the bottom, and then I Freeze 2 whole gallon containers of water as well. Also, I store my cooler within my car. F-150 SuperCrew. Crack a window so heat buildup can get out. And I learned to cover the cooler with a cheapie 0 degree Coleman SleepingBag to protect it from the heat that can build up inside the car. If you store it outside in the pickup bed... still get like a cheapie WalMart blanket to throw over it to keep the sunlight from hitting directly on it and heating it up. These steps prolong how long the ice stays good and frozen.

Last edited:

Buck197

WKR
There is about 5 million things to explain, from judging spread off there tip to tip on ears, to just so many things. You can read and gain alot reading these forums, articles and a million other things, But due to work im in your neck of the woods right now, the gear, clothes etc I wear up here are different than out west. And if youve not been out there watching the weather only helps some, that dry climate is night and day. Your bare bones thought has alot of merit if youre willing to get off of the road, however its different in the big mountains, somethjngs you just really need to think on as access out there is night and day different. This little bit said, youre on the right track. Im trying my butt off to preach to my girlfriends son and cousin as we look to head to Wyoming this year. i think they roll their eyes at me, but its just different, and honestly, muleys abd elk half ruined ne on white tail, I mostly just grab em for meat nowadays. Once you get out and do this, youll get hooked.

OP
Jigmasterflex
There is about 5 million things to explain, from judging spread off there tip to tip on ears, to just so many things. You can read and gain alot reading these forums, articles and a million other things, But due to work im in your neck of the woods right now, the gear, clothes etc I wear up here are different than out west. And if youve not been out there watching the weather only helps some, that dry climate is night and day. Your bare bones thought has alot of merit if youre willing to get off of the road, however its different in the big mountains, somethjngs you just really need to think on as access out there is night and day different. This little bit said, youre on the right track. Im trying my butt off to preach to my girlfriends son and cousin as we look to head to Wyoming this year. i think they roll their eyes at me, but its just different, and honestly, muleys abd elk half ruined ne on white tail, I mostly just grab em for meat nowadays. Once you get out and do this, youll get hooked.
I’m really excited for this, I’ve always liked the scouting here 100x more than the hunting. As long as I’m moving, thinking or doing some sort of active hunting I’m the happiest guy on earth whether I’m seeing game, sign or even just new scenery. I just can’t shut my brain off and sit motionless all day hoping something happens which regrettably is the most effective way to kill good deer here. I’m sure I’ll have a lot of struggling ahead of me but every aspect of mule deer hunting seems right up my alley.

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
I’m definitely wary of that. I think my boots fit well but I don’t really put much thought into it beyond being blister free and not rolling ankles. I’ve done a lot of 10 mile days driving deer but I don’t know what to expect hunting out west, probably more distance but hopefully less sweating. They definitely aren’t top of the line (Danner Vital 800 gram) and I’ll probably end up getting a second pair by the time I go, maybe something nicer. I’m not sure what I’ll run into in Montana but I’m usually soaked up to my knees or worse every other day of hunting in Wisconsin unless it’s really cold. Helps to keep a rotation of boots.
It's more about the elevation gained and lost than the number of miles that tests your boots. That and steep sidehilling. You may not run into that in the areas you are planning on hunting but if you do you will want some stiffness to your boots. I can't wear such heavily insulated boots because my feet sweat easy but that parts up to you.

Buck197

WKR
You should be excited. I literally got addicted to muleys in the early 90s, done pretty good here and there on then too. Hunting western style will make you a better hunter. I alot of times think I know quite a bit and get humbled reguarly. These Rokslide forums are pretty fantastic, and theres some other good resources as well. Elk are sure hard to beat meat wise, and one heckuva hunt as well, my passion are the muleya, but I sure wouldnt kick the elk out of bed, that may be a bad analogy. Its alot of learning curve, but simplified, its just hunting, follow through and do this, itll be something youll never regret as long as you prepare well.

OP
Jigmasterflex
I
Have you got your boots/socks situation sorted out? Figure on a setup where you can do...if you had to... up to 20-25miles in a single day. I've had to do this when decided that I needed to packout the meat first... then come back for the tent and stuff later, in order to keep the weight down as much as you can when hoofing out the meat 6+ miles. But I do have lower back injuries that limit me to some degree.

Binos + Tripod. If the habitat is Woodland, the Tripod becomes a little less of a necessity. But if you're talking about OpenCountry/DesertHills... you need a Tripod. If only binos, tripod doesn't have to be all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips. With the tripod holding them still it's freakin' magical what you can see! And you'll hear this from everybody, but, buy thee best damn Binos you can afford! It does make a difference. With even just a 10x42... but really top tier glass, you'd be amazed how far away you can see off the tripod! And that top tier glass? It provides your brain soo much more data in the FOV it's not even funny. Biggest difference I noticed was the depth-of-field and clarity at distance. Like if you have a 10x top-tier glass, and a 15x mid-tier glass... hands-down you'll find yourself wanting to grab for that 10x with top-tier glass. AND... you can always turn around and sell the top-tier glass for a good price! After you get your Trpod, start saving up for the Outdoorsman's Bino Stud Mounting system. That setup is slick and easy!

RE: pack - bigger the better. Just make sure it's as comfy as possible on the packbelt and shoulder straps. Practice getting into your pack like a turtle after it's loaded with it laying on the ground and flipping yourself over once clicked-in and working yourself up to standing. Whenever possible, drag the pack over and lean it up against a tree before getting into it. Helps a lot. Total PITA flipping over on flat ground with nothing to grab for to help pull you over.

Meat bags - personally I dig on the Kifaru meat bags! Don't weight anything, and they hold the meat in a cylindrical shape in your pack for better weight distribution. 1 fits a 200 Lbs deer's meat in it. Bring along one of those Alaskan Game Bags for the head+hide. The meat bags won't work as well for that. Again, my opinion here.

Weapon? Whichever one is lighter for carry, but can still reachout a bit, and you're comfortable/familiar with the reticle and getting setup and on target at distance rapidly. And some shooting sticks for the rifle. Those Cabelas Kwik stix are my goto, because their so lightweight and quick to deploy. But there are certainly better quality ones out there, but do you really wanna lug'em around all over the place though? I'll usually take like the Primos Trigger-Stick Tripod Short Height version if making sits for predators. But for deer in OpenCountry, since I don't know if I'll be on a sit for a long time or doing a lot of hoofing it, those Kwik Stix are the goto. Realistically they're good for like I'd say up to a 200-250yd shot. If farther than that, just use your pack instead, or, just get closer!

Rangefinder? There are cheaper ones, I was using a Nikon Acculon up until this year when lost it. Not always the easiest to get a reading on it. Also not illuminated. Harder to get a good reading at distance with the cheaper ones. This year got Vortex 1800 I think. Illuminated is very cool. Can be hard to see unlit LCD in low lite, especially if dark background.

Diggin' on the Osprey 100oz water bladder. It has a rigid side to it to go against your back, makes loading into the pocket/pouch for it in your pack much easier. If you need to bring a lot of water like I do, for extra bags Platypus makes 100oz ones with just a screw top to them, for holding the extra water. They are the least expensive I've found. I like Vapur watter bag-bottles for when I'm on an ambush sit. With practice you can open them and drink silently. Plus as they empty you get back space in your pack!

EDIT: And a big stinking cooler! I have the YETI 110. I have a row of the YETI ice blocks laying flat across the bottom, and then I Freeze 2 whole gallon containers of water as well. Also, I store my cooler within my car. F-150 SuperCrew. Crack a window so heat buildup can get out. And I learned to cover the cooler with a cheapie 0 degree Coleman SleepingBag to protect it from the heat that can build up inside the car. If you store it outside in the pickup bed... still get like a cheapie WalMart blanket to throw over it to keep the sunlight from hitting directly on it and heating it up. These steps prolong how long the ice stays good and frozen.
I think I have like three sets of kwik sticks, they get passed around a lot for kids as standers on drives and they definitely seem to up the shot to meat quotient. I have a Harris ultralight bipod somewhere and used to carry it but I don’t know if I’ve ever shot a deer in the prone position before. On the cooler thought, it’s probably gunna be miserable cold when I go but I would imagine the same logic might keep water and other things from freezing which was gunna be a major obstacle for me.

TheGDog

WKR
On the cooler thought, it’s probably gunna be miserable cold when I go but I would imagine the same logic might keep water and other things from freezing which was gunna be a major obstacle for me.

Hey... that's how you sell a Refrigerator to an Eskimo! It's an insulated box he can put things into where they WON'T freeze! HA! So yeah... sounds like the sleepingbag trick would be helpful for you there.

hobbes

WKR
If you are in Wisconsin, you already know what cold is. I'd bet it's colder there than MT.

Your boots are fine for Eastern MT.

You do not need a $500 pack to hunt MD in Eastern MT camping from your truck or a hotel.

OnX or something similar makes life easier, but paper maps haven't stopped working. I use onX and BaseMap.

Hotels are few and far between in small Eastern MT towns so reservations ahead of time aren't a bad idea in November. Driving from town can take up a lot of time.

There are lots of things that are nice to have but are not all required. There are guys crawling all over Eastern MT in carhartts and cheap Walmart daypacks that kill deer every year. The main thing safety wise is stay warm and dry.

Everything that you know about deer hunting Wisconsin still applies. You probably just need to add to that knowledge base.

Maybe I've missed something, but didn't you say Eastern MT? You will not be hiking 20 to 25 miles a day hunting mule deer in Eastern MT. If you are, you're doing circles and running over deer or crossing onto private land that you don't have access to. Sit your butt down and glass more.

Eastern MT absolutely does not have to be backpack hunt. Have the gear to stay warm and you are good. If you have them, bring a game cart and a small ice fishing sled. I pack meat on my back without snow, but the sled is a back saver if there is snow.

Last edited: