Atvs and sxs in Colorado?

dotman

WKR
I thought it was funny hearing a local in CO complain about having to lock his gun up on his sxs..."well how am I supposed to shoot something when I'm driving around if my gun is locked up!"

I understand using them to get in and out of areas on designated roads or trails, but its the guys who just drive around on them all day that I laugh it. Its even funnier to watch them drive right by the animals.

They aren't hunters, it's just a vacation away from the family for them. To each their own and if it's what they enjoy I'm ok with it, less people in the woods.

Jimss

WKR
I bought a 4 wheeler and have a dirt bike for helping access rough rocky terrain. I've used them a lot on 4 wheeler trails. Some of the roads I hunt during the late seasons can be super rough and muddy. In fact, the last truck I had I beat up until I started using my ATV and dirt bike. They are quicker and easier to access rough country. I usually like to hunt alone so this enabled me to go deeper into remote areas a lot quicker than with a truck. Obviously you are exposed to the elements in a 4 wheeler but a side by side would be super nice being inside when weather is poor. I hate 4 wheelers just as much as everyone else but use mine legally and stay on trails. I have a fairly new Tundra and would much rather beat up my wheeler or dirt bike than a truck that costs around $40,000 new! Just play it by the rules offroad!

cnelk

WKR
Ive ridden my share of <50" trails with my ATVs and dirt bikes [yep I had dirt bikes too]. You shouldnt complain about damage to trails without mentioning dirt bikes as also a contributing factor. They cut deep ruts that water gets in and cuts even deeper.

In fact there are also designated only MC trails where I elk hunt. A single trail, 18" wide weaving thru the trees. Some places the ruts are so deep they have started going around and creating another trail.
And then add the BRRRAAAAP, BRRRAAAP of those smelly, loud things and now you got something to complain about.

But they are legal, most riders are fairly lazy and they dont get going on the trails until Im headed back to camp from the morning hunt.

tttoadman

WKR
I just wish they didn't sound like a rototiller.

I hate em, but I agree that legal is legal. I would like to see more stringent laws on mufflers and spark arrestors. Not only for safety, but to make the adjacent forest a bit more enjoyable.

Obviously if the trail
Head says no atvs we wouldn't use it . I'm not doing anything illegal . Locals think they own the mountains and know all the rules and laws it's pretty comical .

Don't rely on things being posted, get yourself some motor vehicle use maps for the area you intend to use them in.

elkduds

WKR
I hunt where machines aren't. Legal is legal, no problem. Just like any other kind of pressure, hunt where the game goes when it flees atv trails. When machines are there illegally, then they have a problem.

BH107

FNG
These were real locals, same ones I caught putting their elderly parents tags on deer about 10 years earlier...

But I agree that there are places to hunt away from the trails. And while we we like getting back there, there are those who can't and we shouln't limit access to public lands to those who can hike.

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
And then there is this damn thing - SkyRunner

I love how in their promo video they have a freaking minigun mounted on top. For when the World ends I guess.

Gr8bawana

WKR
But I agree that there are places to hunt away from the trails. And while we we like getting back there, there are those who can't and we shouln't limit access to public lands to those who can hike.

So does that mean they should be allowed to ride their atv's anywhere they please?

dotman

WKR
So does that mean they should be allowed to ride their atv's anywhere they please?

No they should follow the law and I bet 99% of atv users do. Kind of like how 99% of hunters don't poach or break any game rules and regulations.

gbflyer

WKR
Does anyone use there side x side to get up the mountain or a 4 wheeler during elk season ?

Yes, a lot of hunters do, as well as recreational riders. There are a lot of organized riding club outings going on year around. Fall is such a nice time of year that a lot of folks are out enjoying public land.

cnelk

WKR
There are places you may want to have a chainsaw too - to get in & get out

Attachments

• DSCN8274.jpg
    DSCN8274.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 120

chindits

WKR
Most of the areas around here have roads and trails that are well marked per travel management plans. Travel management maps have been available for free from the USFS for years, but maybe that has changed. Usually the USFS trail management maps suck with little detail or landmarks. There are better options available commercially. Obviously leaving the travel management routes with mechanized vehicles is prohibited. Obviously, like all rules and laws there are people who do not feel compelled to comply. This tarnishes the over all image of others in the same user group.

Areas with motorized use have elk. Areas without motorized use have elk. I have scouted and hunted both types of areas year round. I have watched elk herds watch atv/sbs/db ride by all summer with out doing little more than raising their heads. I have noted those same herds go nocturnal at a certain time of year with the only noticeable difference is the number of people walking around the woods with weapons in their hands. We can blame whom ever we want to, but the critters do what they can to mitigate what they consider is the risk. That level of acceptable risk is not a constant, just look at all the elk and deer you can glass up from your parked car on the HWY in the winter time.

Motorized vehicles and non-motorized vehicles, livestock, wildlife, and human traffic create impacts of varying degree on trails. There seems to be an ideal of sustainable trails these days. I often wonder if no maintenance would not be a better solution, essentially where trails would degrade to an unusable condition and then trail braiding would result where terrain allowed. At some point the detours would become usable and the situation would continue or the detours would become just as bad or worse and the number of people with the skills to navigate those same trails and roads would plummet. Some routes would recover and some may never recover and they will not be used. Maybe that filter would not be so bad. Its amusing and sad to see how groomed out trails and 4x4 roads have become now compared to 20 years ago.

TexasCub

WKR
Bumping this older thread up with a question for those in the know. In colorado If you operate an ATV on a trail and you get to where you want to start hiking in from, what is the law regarding parking your machine off the trail? I mean literally , you aren’t going to leave your quad in the middle of a trail for days at a time, is there a distance maximum (10ft, 25ft, 50ft etc) where you can park your machine?

Silverado

FNG
Probably different rules depending on which NF your in but in the san juan the rules technically say parking is allowed up to one vehicle length off motorized trails, however vehicles can travel up to 300 ft off an open road for the purpose of camping.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk