Auodad in Texas

S-3 ranch

WKR
Aoudad is very good. As far as old rams being tough, they can be. Unless you’re making steaks what’s the problem if it’s tough? Tenderize it with a tenderizer or mallet before you cook it, it’s not rocket science.
Split and tied to some reinforcement wire , spiced with cabra rub , then slow cook like a whole goat over a medium mesquite coal pit !
yummy stuff with Pico , grilled onions, masa tortillas, charo beans
never had anybody not eat seconds or thrice

wyosteve

WKR
Interesting thread. I just happened to see a Meateater episode yesterday where they ate javelina and coyote!

BBob

WKR
Ever tried javelina, lol??
Love my pig chorizo but not so much eaten as a straight meat. We always grind it mixed with cheap pork shoulder. Works in chili and sloppy joes or anything along those lines too. I’ve never had it but I’d bet you could do the same with the aoudad. We’ve done chorizo, red chile, green chile with ibex and I’d bet it’s probably not too different than the aoudad.

Mojave

WKR
I just did an aoudad hunt in Texas last fall. No one that I met eats the aoudad except one ranch hand said he mixes it with beef and pork to make summer sausage. Seems analogous to the rock soup story.
if this helps you any, they are non native as seem to be able to outcompete desert sheep where the ranges overlap.
This is a bullshit story perpetuated by those that want to get rid of them and introduce deserts ( on the outcompeting desert sheep. They are rarely found in the same country. They spend a lot of time grazing on the plains.

This is a bullshit story perpetuated by those that want to get rid of them and introduce deserts ( on the outcompeting desert sheep. They are rarely found in the same country. They spend a lot of time grazing on the plains.

Ive watched them push deserts sheep in NM and TX around so believe what you want.

There is no doubt they out breed desert sheep, not even an argument. As far as out compete, not hard to do the math, aoudad recruitment blows wild desert or even big horns out of the water

Ive killed probably 40 plus aoudad

DosAmigos

FNG
Big mature rams are tough if you try to make steaks or roasts. They are ok in in sausage or tamales. Backstraps and tender or ok chicken fried.

yfarm

WKR
NPS published a study sited in Guadalupe National Park, looked at overlap between aoudad and bighorn in same habitat which showed bighorns lose the competition. Looked at eradication of aoudad to allow reintroduction of bighorns and found eradication was not feasible due to the terrain.

NPS published a study sited in Guadalupe National Park, looked at overlap between aoudad and bighorn in same habitat which showed bighorns lose the competition. Looked at eradication of aoudad to allow reintroduction of bighorns and found eradication was not feasible due to the terrain.

its feasible you just have to do what TPWD and take to the Air. Problem they have is private land owners around them arent real
keen on extirpation. I dont blame them, they might get a BH tag allocation once every 10 years but at 4500 a Aoudad Ram…. you could kill 10 a year substainally and make 45k a year for 10 years.

keller

WKR
I cooked a backstrap several ways off an old ram like I would cook a deer or elk backstrap fried in butter was tough tasted fine then the aftertaste set in just like the auodad smelled couldn't get past it.mariinated some in Italian and French dressing. Some more in worcestershire and other seasonings. End result was they were tough and a nasty aftertaste.

yfarm

WKR
Hunted aoudad in NM few years ago, scouted in May and October, found animals returned 2 days before season, found sheep again. Season opened, area was covered in ATVs/UTVs and sheep vanished. Took 4 days of hard hunting in very remote areas to find them. Suspect copter hunting will train them as well, have seen hogs learn about copter noise and head into deep cover.