Auodad in Texas

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
They taste good but it’s best to try yourself to know. Their meat is tougher but in a crockpot or made into good dry sausage with pork it’s great.
Grilled steaks or chicken fried with younger Audad are better and it helps to marinate and tenderize several days prior to cooking.

aoudad

FNG
Old rams taste like they smell where we kill them in the hill country of TX. Maybe they taste different in west TX or NM, but the ones in the hill country are nasty. Killed them for around 20 years, free range, and gave up on eating them years ago. I take prime ribeye and deer sausage to camp!

I realize this thread is old but I'm still gonna stir the pot...

With exceptions, when people tell me Aoudad is no good that's a big red flag telling me they don't know what they're doing.

Some people just look for an excuse to cut the head off because they're lazy, same people would do it to deer if it was legal.

Having said that, I've only killed two both on public, but they both are perfectly fine, WAY better than one of my son's antelope, good God that thing was the most gamey animal I've ever experienced.

My 27in NM ram was excellent table fare. Temps were mid 40s, shot through the vitals, skinned/quartered within the first 45 minutes, put on ice after 2 hour packout. Butchered at home and vac sealed 3 days later. It was so good that we served up Barbary bourguignon for Xmas to 6 folks who never had wildgame and they couldnt get enough. Steaks were also great, these guides need to learn how to take care of animals and update their methods. I routinely hear of skin left on animals for hours/days, dragging out animals whole through dirt/water, and dudes getting back to the truck without any ice or coolers preloaded, each of which independently can result in poor meat care.

I realize this thread is old but I'm still gonna stir the pot...

With exceptions, when people tell me Aoudad is no good that's a big red flag telling me they don't know what they're doing.

Some people just look for an excuse to cut the head off because they're lazy, same people would do it to deer if it was legal.

Having said that, I've only killed two both on public, but they both are perfectly fine, WAY better than one of my son's antelope, good God that thing was the most gamey animal I've ever experienced.
I agree except for the last paragraph haha never had a bad experience with any of the lobsters of the prairie I’ve killed or others I’ve had.
My 27in NM ram was excellent table fare. Temps were mid 40s, shot through the vitals, skinned/quartered within the first 45 minutes, put on ice after 2 hour packout. Butchered at home and vac sealed 3 days later. It was so good that we served up Barbary bourguignon for Xmas to 6 folks who never had wildgame and they couldnt get enough. Steaks were also great, these guides need to learn how to take care of animals and update their methods. I routinely hear of skin left on animals for hours/days, dragging out animals whole through dirt/water, and dudes getting back to the truck without any ice or coolers preloaded, each of which independently can result in poor meat care.
Yep. It’s the same as the person who kills a rutted up animal then allows the urine soaked hide or hocks to either A) stay on to long after death thus tasting how they smell or B) allowing the bare meat to come into contact with said hide resulting in that same nasty taste.

Old rams taste like they smell where we kill them in the hill country of TX. Maybe they taste different in west TX or NM, but the ones in the hill country are nasty. Killed them for around 20 years, free range, and gave up on eating them years ago. I take prime ribeye and deer sausage to camp!
Couldn’t agree more. Accept I’ve killed a few in west Texas, and they still smell god awful. I don’t eat them. They’re actually a nuisance where I hunt because they eat all the food and the deer are left hungry. We kill em, leave em and let nature take its course

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
When a Mexican goes to barbecue a goat they do not pick out a 10-12 year old ram....just saying.

aoudad

FNG
Couldn’t agree more. Accept I’ve killed a few in west Texas, and they still smell god awful. I don’t eat them. They’re actually a nuisance where I hunt because they eat all the food and the deer are left hungry. We kill em, leave em and let nature take its course
100% they are a never ending battle on our place. Can’t kill enough to make a dent in them, and they run the native animals out.

100% they are a never ending battle on our place. Can’t kill enough to make a dent in them, and they run the native animals out.
Exactly. They breed entirely too fast to make a dent in the population. They’re honestly becoming the new swine of Texas lol

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to try it. But after the cooler was full of elk meat, we left it for the dogs. Guide said they probably wouldn’t eat it either mine was 30.5” my son got a 33”. I don’t like shooting things I don’t eat

Attachments

• IMG_0740.jpeg
    IMG_0740.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 28
OP
Short Track
I just ate the back strap the other day. It's fine. Not like Elk, but perfectly edible. Tad bit tough. Who cares, healthier than bacon.

aoudad

FNG
Doesn’t sound like that big of a pest then.
Oh they are, but might as well try to capitalize on having them as trade for other hunts....... if you only knew the amount of people that want to just come shoot one with nothing to offer........

Oh they are, but might as well try to capitalize on having them as trade for other hunts....... if you only knew the amount of people that want to just come shoot one with nothing to offer........
I know a guy who needs similar help. Pest hunt for pest hunt?