AZ Desert Deer Youth Hunt 2023

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
Well, it’s finally upon us. I feel like every year I get so busy that the thing I love to do most creeps up on me and surprises me and leaves me scrambling to catch up. Spent last week in Montana chasing deer and elk with my bow. Out of shape was the take home message there although the mountains are beautiful and I love exploring up there. Two grouse and general exhaustion is all I have to show for that trip, but it was wonderful

This weekend though I got to take my kids on a youth deer hunt. My brother in law and nieces were there too, my nieces also had tags. 4 buck tags, 4 young women (12-15), and 2.5 days to hunt the scrub mesquite and holly and manzanita foothills near my hometown. My dad was able to help us most of the time. Unfortunately my brother is laid up after ankle surgery so he missed out and will miss the entire hutning season

The area we hunted is a transition area that holds both mule deer and Coues whitetail, tags were good for both either species. First day we glassed from a knob in the high foothills which is mostly Coues country although we catch mulies in there too from time to time. First morning was quiet and hot, high 80’s and sunny. Mid day we visited my brother at his house and took naps. We split up for the evening and didn’t see much then either. On the way out we spotted some mulies crossing the road in the same spot we caught them last time we had this hunt. We pulled over to look them over and sure enough we found a little buck. We set up as the buck got clear of a mesquite tree and my oldest daughter Jill sent a 120gr TTSX through his heart at 90 yards. Funky buck, the club side is still soft and growing, warm to the touch. The base was loose and maybe broken, dunno if he would have ever hardened and shed that side. The forky side was hardened and most of the velvet was off. Anyway, Jill’s first Mulie:

XU3IQKb.jpg

Urp2ise.jpg

Next morning we split up again and James took his daughters on a sneak after a buck they found up in the foothills. They ended up getting him, small Coues buck. Kacey's first buck:

tl5jtV2.jpg

Some cloud cover moved in so we could hunt all day which was good because we had two more tags to fill. I took the two girls who still has tags to a knoll I’d glassed that morning that looked like it would offer a view to the low foothills as they gave way to the low country. We glassed about 15 mule deer all does. Finally with an hour of light left and after I was sure I’d looked everywhere, three deer came up out of the bottom of a wash full of mesquite and holly brambles. Two does and a forky. They were on the move and we moved down to a smaller knoll that I hoped would offer us a shot if they kept their travel line. We got down there and couldn’t find them. I was about to get worried when my daughter Jenna found them. Or at least, found some deer. Still not sure if the buck was the same one I had originally seen because now there were 7 deer (and definitely there were only 3 when I saw them come out of the wash). Whatever the case, we had seven deer and one was a forky moving on the hillside across the ravine from us. She set up on it and said she felt confident she could kill him. She made a great shot at 230 yards and the 7mm-08 dropped that buck in his tracks. Jenna’s first buck:

xr2CI9T.jpg

Pack out was heavy, gutted him and cut his legs off and was able to stuff him into the pack otherwise whole. I’m out of shape and getting old but I made it, tuckered out though.

9Ag3w9D.jpg

We tried to find Kaylei a buck this morning but didn’t pan out. All in all a great weekend. I’m very proud of my girls, they made great shots and I love spending time with them. Jill and Kaylei have cow elk tags next weekend so hopefully we’ll have more stories to tell next week!

WAxC22W.jpg

uWf4Lbi.jpg

Dp8PaSt.jpg