AZ Mule Deer Outfitters

I’m looking at doing an otc archery mule deer hunt in AZ next August - been looking at outfitters - Wards, Shadow Valley, and Arizona Mountain outfitters as of right now - wondering if anyone has recent experience with these guys and could weigh in on how your trip was! Thanks!

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Steven Ward is still on time out for AZGFD outfitter rules violations. Take that for what you will.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
It depends what part of the state you are wanting to hunt. I know that Tim Winslow with Arizona trophy outfitters will do scouting packages for you if you didn't want fully guided hunt.

I have an outfitter down there that I use, but he's booked up for August 2024. He does scouting packages though, if you want to go DIY. And like B Bob said, Steven Ward is done.

Wait there are OTC tags for August? I thought that was a January only thing. Pardon my ignorance as I just arrived from Ohio to AZ

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I figured as much, I just didn't know it was even a thing. Thought it was only late season

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Nope, Arizona has three archery deer seasons: Aug/Sept, late December, and January. Some units get shutdown during the Aug/Sept hunt, because kill quotas are filled. Most units end up closing down during the January hunt, for the same reason.

BBob

WKR
I figured as much, I just didn't know it was even a thing. Thought it was only late season
Once you become a resident there is no tag issue number quota, only the unit harvest quota to deal with. As for NR they sold out very quickly and I think many got caught flat footed there. No doubt they'll sell out quickly again next year. NR are limited to 10% of the average total sales of archery deer non-permit (OTC) tags for the most recent 5 years, rounding down to the nearest increment of 5.