B.C black bear in 2024, flying with meat, hide, and skull?

For those that have done a fly in bear hunt, what did you do for the hide and skull? Checked or carry on luggage? Ice chest for meat obviously. The meat won't have time to get frozen before return flight.

For those that have done a fly in bear hunt, what did you do for the hide and skull? Checked or carry on luggage? Ice chest for meat obviously. The meat won't have time to get frozen before return flight.
Where are you flying out if and or if you have a connection in Calgary AB you clear customs there. Fly them as checked baggage. The hide will either need to be salted or frozen.

2 hunts in BC and both times animals were flown as checked baggage with capes salted and skulls boiled. I will put both hides and skulls in game bags and then into 2 heavy duty Contractor bags. Fly them in a leak proof duffle. I use some sort of northface duffle.

Having meat frozen would be best but if now cheap cooler with some ice and Duct tape it up. Bring extra tape in case it needs to be opened and re taped. Getting stuff back from Canada is an easy process. Have all your paperwork ready including your 4457 form for firearms. Every customs or TSA agent I have encountered in Canada have been very friendly and alot have wanted to see pictures.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
My guide salted the hide. I just rolled the skull up in the hide, put it in two thick plastic contractor bags, and put it in my suitcase. One time a friend had driven and he brought meat back in a cooler. The next time, I rendered the fat in camp and took that home in a Nalgene bottle in my suitcase and left the meat with my guide. There was no way for me to freeze the meat before flying.

This thread is perfect timing. I have been researching about how to fly back with meat from a spring bear hunt myself. Mine would all be in the US though.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
I send lots of bear hides back with clients and lots of moose and moose meat.
Firstly no checked baggage can weigh more than 60lbs with either Air Canada or West Jet. You must have your tag and paper portion of the license as well. Obviously the baggage cant leak. For our moose camp we skin, flesh and salt the hides. Pack them in rubber maid totes and I provide the hunter with zip ties to tie the corners shut after inspection. For my spring bear camp we skin, flesh and freeze the hides. Boil the skull.
If you do freeze the bear make sure the tag is visible. The bear meat will be tough to take home if you cant freeze it before hand.
Speak with your outfitter, they should have lots of advice, thats part of their job.
Dry ice is a great option as well.

Attachments

• Fleshing.jpg
    Fleshing.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 10

tak

WKR
I took a large (maybe 100qt) igloo, way too big, I hit 60lbs easily with the cooler half empty. Next time I'd use a soft yeti type bag cooler.

I was told dry ice was hard to get in Canada, but sounds like NorthCountryAB gets it. Enough dry ice can get your meat frozen in its own.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
I took a large (maybe 100qt) igloo, way too big, I hit 60lbs easily with the cooler half empty. Next time I'd use a soft yeti type bag cooler.

I was told dry ice was hard to get in Canada, but sounds like NorthCountryAB gets it. Enough dry ice can get your meat frozen in its own.
Praxair or Linde. This past fall I believe it was $3/lb CDN, so basically free for americans lol

Reactions: tak