Flying with ram head Canada to US

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
If I’m fortunate enough to kill a ram in the NWT this August what do you guys have on flying home with the head for a euro mount. My plan is to bring home meat, the hide for a flat skin and the head. I’ve had good luck packing my caribou hide and meat from AK to Denver, frozen in fish boxes lined with contractors bags and checking as luggage, 50lbs each box. I’m assuming I will need to remove the brain matter and obviously ensure there is no leakage should the boxes thaw in transit. Otherwise any tips and experience? Primarily crossing back into the states through customs (Denver from Edmonton). Thanks!

buffybr

FNG
Definitely remove all of the brain matter and other flesh from the skull.

I would protect the horn tips with cardboard and try to find a box large enough to put the head in, and pad it with your dirty clothes or jackets.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I've done this multiple times.

I used a large Yeti duffle and wrapped the head in my sleeping bag and put several pair of socks on each horn tip for a little extra protection.

Definitely do a very thorough job of cleaning out the brain cavity. I ran lot of boiling water through mine to make sure but probably a little unnecessary. Can likely get everything out with a coat hanger/knife combo.

I always freeze the meat in 2 gallon ziplocks then double wrapped in black contractor garbage bags and wrapped it in my puffy clothes inside another Yeti duffle and meat has always arrived frozen.

Flying it is not a problem, The hard part is getting it checked in and sealed prior to leaving the NWT. As long as you have figured out that logistical step the transportation is fine, just some forms to fill out at customs.

Loco4dux

WKR
Talk to your outfitter about wanting to bring back the entire head for a euro ahead of time and also the need to freeze your meat at base camp. I brought back mine skull capped. I put it in my clothes bag and taped my crocs to the tips to protect it.hide was in there too. I cut up my meat and packaged it at base camp in ziplocks and froze it (they barely had room for it, which is why I would give them a heads up you want to take all the meat, it seems like a lot of guys don’t take their meat). Customs did check my skull to make sure it was all clean. Meat in ziplocks then inside contractor bags and zip tied and into my backpack for carry on. Hotel at the Edmonton airport will have a freezer to use.

Good luck on your hunt!

The check in process in Norman Wells shouldn't be difficult. Success was limited the week we were there (success overall in the NWT has been down past couple years given some harsh winters) but the lucky couple guys/gals that did come home with rams that week had a meeting lined up (by the outfitters) over at the game and fish office. Your outfitter should have that all lined out for you. The airport seemed to be a similarily smoth process for those individuals just make sure your outfitter gets everything cleaned up decent, they'll know the drill! Both individuals with rams had their rams in Kuiu duffels sorrounded by all their sleeping bags and insulation layers.

TXCO

WKR
I put mine in a plastic box. Ive also travelled with hide and horns salted ina duffle. Just have your paperwork and a clean skull and youre good. All good advice so far. Only other thing is make sure you have a decent layover for connecting flights snd dont get chatty with customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Millek47

FNG
You will need to get your ram plugged in Norman Wells. Assuming it’s not a Sunday- you should be fine. But plan on giving yourself a day or 2 to get this done.

My outfitter had lined up getting the caribou antlers and meat sealed (little lead seal attached to a wire) for export from the NWT at the Ministry of Environment office as soon as we flew back into Norman Wells from base camp....should have seen the pickup load of moose and caribou antlers plus sheep horns! Wright Air had a walk in freezer at their Norman Wells facility....stored my 50 qt ice chest full of caribou meat in it overnight, the antlers were in the room out front of the cooler. I picked them up before flying out the next day to Yellowknife/Edmonton. I was going home to BC so no international borders in my case.

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Flying it is not a problem, The hard part is getting it checked in and sealed prior to leaving the NWT. As long as you have figured out that logistical step the transportation is fine, just some forms to fill out at customs.
Thx. I have a full day and a half in Norman Wells and not a weekend!

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I will echo what others have said. I brought my dall head back with me for a euro mount and had a replica made for a pedestal mount. My outfitter (Gana River) did a fantastic job boiling and prepping it for transport. If you have a day the process of getting it plugged in Norman Wells is straightforward. Cardboard around the nose, trekking pole to stabilize the horns and a trash bag in case there is some fluid leakage is helpful to protect it. However the airline lost my bag with my skull in it and it was a very stressful few days until I got my bag back. I wish I had placed an air tag in it. I went on a sheep hunt in BC again this year and had it shipped back which took an extra few months but glad I did as the same thing happened with my bag again (lost but eventually recovered). Two different airlines both times Toronto airport. Unfortunately living in Michigan most flights into Canada route through there. Avoid Air Canada if you can as I intentionally avoided Toronto this year and they changed my flight 48hr before I flew back and rerouted my through Toronto.
IMG_9287.png

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
I will echo what others have said. I brought my dall head back with me for a euro mount and had a replica made for a pedestal mount. My outfitter (Gana River) did a fantastic job boiling and prepping it for transport. If you have a day the process of getting it plugged in Norman Wells is straightforward. Cardboard around the nose, trekking pole to stabilize the horns and a trash bag in case there is some fluid leakage is helpful to protect it. However the airline lost my bag with my skull in it and it was a very stressful few days until I got my bag back. I wish I had placed an air tag in it. I went on a sheep hunt in BC again this year and had it shipped back which took an extra few months but glad I did as the same thing happened with my bag again (lost but eventually recovered). Two different airlines both times Toronto airport. Unfortunately living in Michigan most flights into Canada route through there. Avoid Air Canada if you can as I intentionally avoided Toronto this year and they changed my flight 48hr before I flew back and rerouted my through Toronto.
View attachment 694894
Thx for the response. I'm interested on how the trekking pole helps. Can you explain?

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 694894
Also, it's my understanding you have to be within 30 feet for the AirTag to be detected on your phone. I'll research some more

Thx for the response. I'm interested on how the trekking pole helps. Can you explain?
It’s so they won’t crush the skull when in baggage. You can end up with damage if a heavy bag was dropped on its end, or squeezed really hard between bags. Maybe break a lamb tip off or something 🤷🏻‍♂️

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Correct. It was primarily to give a little internal structure to my duffle bag as well as to prevent the lamp tips from breaking. They were starting to split and I was worried a hard toss of the bag would snap them off.