Back bar question

Pgohil

WKR
Never ran a back bar, but a fight form of Target panic where the pin rests just under the intended POA. I was thinking a back bar may help "pull" the top of my bow back a little there for making the pin ride a little higher. Am I going in the right direction with my thinking?

Thanks
PGohil
WV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

scp

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve learned (through my own painful experience) that stabilizers and bars won’t address TP the way that logic might lead you to believe. Even with a back bar you’re likely to still find your POA sits below your intended target. I tried to accomplish the same and grew even more exasperated when my bow continued to settle below my intended POA even with the counterweight. A back tension release was the next step...and it worked.

What release are you shooting? If you blank bale, does your pin hold better?

Try a small target. I hate paper targets. I mostly shoot at golf tees and roofing nails with the plastic cap that’s about the size of a quarter.

I shoot an 8” stab (1 oz) and 6” back bar (4 oz). More than anything, it helps me settle my pin quicker. I just try not to worry about my pin falling out the bottom so much. I hope that’s my natural float tendency. As I shoot more and get stronger, it tend to hold better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weight isn't going to help target panic.

Blank target shooting, or a back tension will help. It can take a long time to get past it. One thing that helped me was actually removing weight from the bow and reducing draw weight. Made everything easier with the bow between drawing it, holding it, and being able to move the pins to where I wanted them.

Target panic isn't easy to fix. It takes time. It's a mental correlation that takes time to undo.

renagde

WKR
No it won't do anything. Lot's of practice will.

I overcame the same target panic. Always touching off on my release as soon as it settled right under the bullseye. Even with a back tension release I yanked the shot. Many hours later, I'm now comfortable just letting my pin float and just easing into the shot.

As others have stated, a proper stabilizer setup helps me settle my pins faster and reduces my pin float. But adding weight on the back will not magically bring my pin up further.

xcutter

WKR
Try a back tension release. Back bar is not going to fix it.

I would take your sights off and get 10 yards from a target and shoot a back tension release. Just concentrate on getting the release to go off until it comes naturally and you don't think.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
I do use a back tension and shoot it well also. My TP is mild, and I feel it's under control. I was just thinking that changing the balance may help the pin float easier.
I shoot well enough, . 4-5" groups are normal @ 70 yards for me.

DanZ

FNG
Your initial bow setup may have a lot to do with it as well....

I determine where I put my nock point by how a bow holds with no stabilizers. Then move the rest to tune.

You would be surprised at how much playing with a higher nock point can help in keeping your pin from floating out of the bottom of the spot. If your top or bottom limb is pulling more, you will float in that direction. I like to get my bow holding well without weights and then increase the rotational inertia of the system by adding stabilize weights in a balanced way.

Your problem may well be a form of TP -- I'm not saying it isnt, but playing with tiller and nock height may be something to explore if you have not experienced this issue across multiple bows.

Adding weight to "Balance" your Bow will NOT help with, Target Panic,.. but, IT does HELP with, Vertical "stringing" and a higher average, "Pin Float".
I added, an ounce or two, LESS than what's on, the front of, my 8" Stabilizer, to the back of my Bow and,.. IT, "Works",.. WELL ! I have 5 ounces of weight ( OFFSET with, a Spyderco Bar, to offset Quiver/ Arrow weight ) on the front of the Stab. and 3.5 ounces on the "back" of the Bow ( NO side Bar ) and it "balances" in my hand, nicely ! Blind Bail, to STOP, T P .

Last edited:

Gumbo

WKR
As stated, tweaking your stabilizer won't help, you will simply unconsciously compensate and keep doing the same thing. I mean do you really think that it is the weight on the front and not you that is keeping the pin a couple inches low, regardless of how steady it is? After struggling with TP for years I might suggest removing all stabilizers to increase your pin float so that you get used to letting it move around all over the target and just PULL through the shot with no start/stop/start/stop. Of course you will shoot like crap for awhile like that, but you might learn to be ok with pin float. I would also guess that you are shooting a hinge, probably with manipulation or maybe relaxation, and not a tension activated release. If that is the case get a Carter Evolution or Silverback and really learn to pull...hard. Anyway, I think you are trying to put a bandage on a nosebleed in attempting to address a manifestation of TP with stabilizer weight. Your TP will get worse unless you learn how to pull and stop over-aiming.

And, I totally am in favor of rear stabilizers, just use one for the right reasons.

Every now and them shooting I have a similar problem. I just slightly exaggerate aiming about a foot or so high on the target and try and calmly settle in on the intended point/poa.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Ok, got it. No back bar.

Thanks!

SoDaky

WKR
Hi.If shooting 4-5 inch groups consistently at 70 yds don't change a dam thing,just relax and enjoy it.

OP
Pgohil

Pgohil

WKR
Hi.If shooting 4-5 inch groups consistently at 70 yds don't change a dam thing,just relax and enjoy it.
Absolutely! I love shoot, and am happy with what I can do. Once I get my pin on the dot, it can float there all day with no problem, it just seems like the bow weights 30lbs trying to get it up that last few inches to the dot, then it's good. If I start above and bring the pin down to the dot, it does better. I want to get to where I can move the pin around comfortably with no issue.