Backcountry Camera Gear Care

Deerjunky

FNG
The iPhone hasn't been cutting it lately for getting some pictures on trips, I am considering purchasing a Canon EOS Rebel SL1 with 18-55mm lens from B&H. Anyone have any experience in keeping these types of cameras in one piece in the field? Preferably without eating up a great deal of space in a pack and adding a load of weight. Any other starter camera suggestions for still photos are welcome too. Thanks.

tttoadman

WKR
My Rebel actually stops working when the moisture gets to high. I will have it dry in the case on my side, and it will still do it. I have a small canon point and shoot that I take hunting. I only carry the big camera when scouting earlier in the year.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I keep a little dry bag in my pack so if it ever does just start pouring I'll put my gear in that. Otherwise they're pretty tough little things.. I usually carry mine with my sternum strap around the barrel of the lens, works pretty descent I'll try to upload a picture. When in the pack I always run the camera in the lid so if I take a digger it's all in the top and hopefully won't get smashed as easily. I've got the guide lid from kifaru and with my canon 60d w/24-105 there's plenty of room for anything else I carry up there. There's a company on b&h I think called wrapz maybe, it's basically a little padded wrap around case for a DSLR for some added protection which weighs nothing and isn't bulky.
78b2dbb69d05abedf5dac8d9b4d8e19b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pick up one of these for your new camera.

Solid on your backpack strap and makes it easy to take a photo anywhere along the trail.

Peak Design Capture Clip
I Picked up one of these the other day, I am worried i wont be able to shoot my bow with it on my strap just in case i need to shoot quick becasuse i walked up on it

robie

WKR
I Picked up one of these the other day, I am worried i wont be able to shoot my bow with it on my strap just in case i need to shoot quick becasuse i walked up on it

That interesting. I hadn't thought about it as I'm on a rifle hunt with my pack. For me I put it on my left strap, with my Canon 6D on I think it would be pretty close to hitting the string. It might clear but I would do a few practice shots.

twall13

WKR

I would think you could rig it up on your waistbelt to get it out of the way. It's pretty versatile in what it can attach to. I'm positive I could attach it to my Exo 3500 belt, not sure on others but it's worth considering.

I made a silnylon cover for mine with some bungee cord along the perimeter. It works pretty slick for most any storm but wouldn't quite cut it if I took a dunk on a stream crossing.

charvey9

WKR
I have a Canon EOS M3 with 18-55mm lens that I carry all the time, prior that I had a EOS M for several years. Mirrorless DSLR's take up much less space in your pack. For my camera I just cut the top 6" off a wool sock and sewed one end shut to make a sack and give my camera some cushion. I put my memory cards, spare battery, and remote in a small cuben fiber sack. All that goes into a Kifaru small pull-out. If it is raining hard, I always carry a 1 gallon zip lock I can throw my camera in as an extra precaution. Have never had an issue carrying my camera gear like that.

I can't, I run it on my belt if I'm bowhunting.

I'll throw up some photos tomorrow if you would like

I can't, I run it on my belt if I'm bowhunting.

I'll throw up some photos tomorrow if you would like

Ya I just strapped it to my belt. Gonna be a good place for it. Can't wait to get some cool video next week

OP
D

Deerjunky

FNG
Thanks for all the responses. I especially like the capture clip suggestion I plan to pass that along to anyone else looking for a quick access system

If you store your DSLR in a dry bag with silica dessicant packets (the little moisture wicking pouches that come in a shoe box also available online), it should help with moisture.
Also, try to minimize your cameras exposure to drastic changes in temperature. This may lead to moisture forming inside and outside your camera. When you have your camera in your day pack, keep it in the pack in your vestibule. Do not try to bring it inside where it is "warm" to avoid possible moisture.
Good luck hunting and capturing those wonderful moments in time.