Backcountry Powdered drink mixes

What powdered drink mixes do you take in the backcountry?

Powerade and gatorade mixes are ok but i hate all the sugary crap that goes along with it. Anyone out there use a healthier more performance oriented drink mix?

I tried Tailwind on my last trip. Mixed it in a Nalgene and it seemed true that it doesn't leave a residue.
Did the one with caffeine which was nice for me.

Lawnboi

WKR
Hammer heed. Or endurolyte fizz.

Fits what you want to a t.

No sugar, some carbs, electrolytes. Sweetened with stevia I believe. Doesn't leave your bottles or bladder all full of crap. Not an overpowering sweet taste either. And I believe it even promotes oral health. I use it not only backpacking, but biking and running all year long. Good stuff!

Check out Succeed S caps. This is a pill taken instead of a powder mix. It may give you better flexibility... You won't have to mix powder with your water bladder. I have used these pills and had great results. They were popularized by marathon runners. Check out the reviews on Amazon.

Last edited:

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use the gatorade mix too and didn't like the sugar. Been using the Wilderness Athlete stuff for a few years and really cannot beat it. I have been looking into the Hammer stuff though as another option.

Am I the only one that thinks wilderness athlete berry flavor tastes like a straight shot of vitamins? I have to drink it fast.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I mix both the hydrate and recover along with the energy and focus and do not mind the taste at all, but that's just me. Both the old and new flavors

OR Archer

WKR
^^^^ I use that stuff daily. Works awesome and mixes well.

I've also taken Wilderness Athlete mixes and Advocare Spark with me on trips. Both worked great and taste good as well. I would advise that you use these in a separate bottle instead of putting them in a bladder.

Be likin the liquid squirters mio,dasani,minute maid. No nutritional value at all but, when drinking a gallon plus of water daily it sure adds a bit of class to an otherwise dull drink. Have got to believe when added to your filtered water out of some piss hole it would be a necessity.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Am I the only one that thinks wilderness athlete berry flavor tastes like a straight shot of vitamins? I have to drink it fast.

I try to only drink it while I'm elk hunting, so I very much look forward to it every year. I've been using it for probably 5 or 6 years. I like it!

I really like the taste of the WA, my wife started drinking it before her runs and has nearly drank all mine....I need to place an order.

Wilderness Athlete Hydrate and recover. It comes in a tub, or individual packets for easy packing. Just tear open the package and dump it in your water container. I like the original berry flavor better than the new one (lemon lime I think it is). I also use the Altitude Adjustment pills while chasing Elk through the Rockies.

A little Poweraid (half recommended strength) mixed with Emergen-C lemon lime is pretty good. Better than either is by itself, based on my recent 19 days in the back-country.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
What powdered drink mixes do you take in the backcountry?

Powerade and gatorade mixes are ok but i hate all the sugary crap that goes along with it. Anyone out there use a healthier more performance oriented drink mix?

I use Spark for energy, daily, and in the backcountry.

bjaegers

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought Hammer Endurolytes Extreme. Does not contain sugar or artificial colors or sweetener. Have no idea on taste will probably use a couple tabs per water bladder.