Put Some Thought into your first aid kit

OP
ccoffey

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
This has me thinking. It’s probably already been discussed on here before, but we could come up with a rokslide med kit. I know there are a lot of companies out there that make good ones, but this group is usually pretty good at picking up on good one off items to have that serve multiple purposes. For instance, I don’t see a lot out there that have an Israeli bandage and that’s one thing item that I’d put in that kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
This is my full kit - sometimes I take less if scouting, camping, fishing, etc. All fits in a FAK dry bag and within easy reach. Everyone in the party knows contents and where to find it. Good to be a good backcountry citizen if others are in trouble. In addition I’ll typically have cut resistant gloves for breaking down animals.

- CAT 7 Tourniquet
- Israeli Bandage
- Hyfin Chest Seal (front and back)
- Quick Clot Gauze
- Superglue
- Rolled Compressed Gauze
- Leukotape
- Mini tweezers
- Safety pins (2x)
- Alcohol wipes (2x)
- Latex gloves
- Hydocortisone cream
- Antibiotic ointment
- PVT ointment
- ibuprofen
- ibuprofen PM
- chewable aspirin
- Benadryl
- Mini bottle eyedrops

I carry a small assortment of bandaides of different sizes. Knuckle and fingertip bandaides as well as butterfly bandages. Electrical tape, duct tape, vet wrap, moleskin, assortment of stomach pills, cold/sinus meds, ibuprofen, Tylenol, aspirin, gauze, tweezers, eye drops, insect sting. Could be some other things I may be missing. Seems like a lot but it all fits into a small size Sea to Summit waterproof bag. It’s always in my pack no matter what. Along with some emergency survival things.

I get more injuries at work than out in the woods.

Attachments

• IMG_6634.jpeg
    IMG_6634.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1727.jpeg
    IMG_1727.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 49

11boo

WKR
I keep two. One boo-boo kit, self explanatory. One trauma kit, most of it has been covered. TQ is on my pack belt in a case.

Rich M

WKR
When i’m out in the woods i try to slow down and think thru what i’m doing before i do it. Also wear a cut glove on the grab hand when using a knife.

There’s enough accidents mentioned on here that it makes me a bit more cautious, prolly a good thing.

I do carry a first aid kit w bandaids, clot stuff and couple clean strips of an old pillowcase for torniquette or arm sling.

Knocking on wood…

Heal quickly!

prm

WKR
This has me thinking. It’s probably already been discussed on here before, but we could come up with a rokslide med kit. I know there are a lot of companies out there that make good ones, but this group is usually pretty good at picking up on good one off items to have that serve multiple purposes. For instance, I don’t see a lot out there that have an Israeli bandage and that’s one thing item that I’d put in that kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought I read that this is being done. I‘ll try to figure out where I read that.

edit: this is the one that was being developed. I didn’t know it was out yet.

prm

WKR
Mine. It needs some thought put into it. I can‘t decide if a tourniquet should be added. Don’t have any eye drops at the moment either. And some exp IMG_4052.jpegdates are getting a bit old…

fwafwow

WKR
I thought I read that this is being done. I‘ll try to figure out where I read that.

I like this kit. Although I'm not an expert, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night, so three recommendations if you buy any pre-packed kit.
  1. Make sure you open it up and familiarize yourself with what's in it - periodically (including to check any expiration dates). I had a Dark Angel kit that was tight and compact, but over time I neglected to keep up with what was in the vacuum sealed block.
  2. Whatever tourniquet you get, take it out of the plastic and make sure you stage it.
  3. Get training and practice with the gear.

rideold

WKR
A small bottle of saline can be used for eye rinse or wound irrigation. Also, Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper tweezers are small, lightweight, and can save you from dealing with an annoyance for your whole trip.

I love the idea of setting out the IFAK before breaking down an animal. Convenient if you need it, but also a good reminder of rule #3!

OP
ccoffey

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider

Thank you!

7mm-08

WKR
A cut resistant glove in my kill kit has saved my bacon a time or six. For me, they're single use and worth the $13 or $14 dollars I pay for one not to expereince a bad day afield.

I think a hugely overlooked item is a bottle of betadine. Getting a cut to stop bleeding with quick clot or a tourniquet is great, but getting the wound clean is hugely beneficial. Especially if it’s a cut sustained during processing… that wound is almost guaranteed to get infected. The first thing the emergency room does is wash out/irrigate the wound before sewing it up and when it comes to bacteria, time is a huge factor. I had a friend lose his leg from a wound that wasn’t even bleeding but it was a few hours between the injury and when we got him off the mountain, and in that time an infection set in. Required several surgeries that probably could have been avoided if I’d had my little bottle of betadine with me.

I carry a 2 oz bottle of betadine in my kit and if there’s a wound, I’ll dump the bottle into my camelback or water bottle, dilute it with water, and irrigate out the wound. Obviously once the bleeding is under control.

My other must-have item is a few packets of oral rehydration powder.

I think a hugely overlooked item is a bottle of betadine. Getting a cut to stop bleeding with quick clot or a tourniquet is great, but getting the wound clean is hugely beneficial. Especially if it’s a cut sustained during processing… that wound is almost guaranteed to get infected. The first thing the emergency room does is wash out/irrigate the wound before sewing it up and when it comes to bacteria, time is a huge factor. I had a friend lose his leg from a wound that wasn’t even bleeding but it was a few hours between the injury and when we got him off the mountain, and in that time an infection set in. Required several surgeries that probably could have been avoided if I’d had my little bottle of betadine with me.

I carry a 2 oz bottle of betadine in my kit and if there’s a wound, I’ll dump the bottle into my camelback or water bottle, dilute it with water, and irrigate out the wound. Obviously once the bleeding is under control.

My other must-have item is a few packets of oral rehydration powder.
I meant he ALMOST lost his leg. He kept it but barely.

I have a boo-boo kit with standard band-aids And meds. For adventures further from the truck I take a more serious kit. Among other things, it has:

- CAT 7 Tourniquet (take a course and / or practice)
- SWAT Tourniquet (can work for compression as well as a TQ)
- Rolled Compressed Gauze
- 2x Quick Clot Gauze
- Steri Strips and Superglue
- Leukotape

i also have a cut resistant glove in my kill kit. I put it on my left hand under a latex glove. I am right handed so the knife is in my right hand 90% of the time. I also use the rounded 70a blades in my havalon. Both those precautions have cut down on my cutting and poking my self for the last couple of seasons.

Which is which?
I think they were saying that my suggestion of irrigating a wound should be left to professionals. They’re not wrong but even just pouring some betadine into/onto a wound would be hugely beneficial and you can’t really mess that up.