Backcountry Satellite Communications

Bushcraft

FNG
A big part of stepping off at the trailhead for some remote backcountry destination is to take a break from the daily grind and leave all the work related crap behind.

That’s all well and good, but as a financial planner and investment manager, the responsibility of taking care of a lot of people’s entire life savings ultimately rests squarely on my shoulders 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The amount of time I want to spend scouting, fishing and hunting in remote wilderness areas is becoming increasingly at odds with a growing financial advisory business. Same goes for all of my hunting partners. I tagged 2 bears, a muley, an elk and a whitetail this year and I can't see that time away from the electronic leash happening again next year without some changes.

A sat phone is fine for checking in, but I’ve come to the conclusion that I need a relatively lightweight, easy to set up portable solution that provides access to email, web browsing, VPN, streaming video and audio, file transfer and IP applications from anywhere in the world. Toting around the additional 5-6 lbs. of secure communications gear is a small price to pay for the peace of mind and freedom it will buy me.

Has anyone used any of the Inmarsat portable BGAN systems? Or other? If so, I’d appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance,

Allen

Last edited:
We used an Inmarsat for a few weeks this summer. Needs a clear shot at the SE sky and speeds were slow, but it worked reliably over a huge chunk of country. Even places it shouldn't have. This picture from an island in the arctic ocean.

The problem you will have is that it (and EVERY sat system I've used), is going to be slow. Even if it says "broadband" in the brochure, believe me... it isn't. Streaming anything is out of the question and the $/Mb cost for the BGAN units were cost prohibitive for any significant file transfers. Email, small files, and limited web browsing was doable. Didn't try VPN, but suspect it would be pretty clunky for that.

Battery life isn't great either, and the version I had was too big to seriously pack anywhere. Vehicle based camp would be ok.

Yk

Thanks for the feedback. Exactly what I'm looking for. Have you tried one in the lower 48?

Also, is that a Hughes in the picture?

That was a rental Hughes 9201 unit. Which brings something up. These things can all be rented, and I would recommend going that route before purchasing. I'll give the Hughes credit for being rugged and dead simple to set up. Built in wifi too, which worked slick. I could send SMS messages to my wife from my iPhone on the Peel River (which I found a little weird!). I haven't tried one in the L48, but it was all over Alaska and the Yukon without issue and it's quite possible that it may be faster at lower latitudes.

One of the issues with any sat unit I've used is latency. There is always a lag, which makes things act slower than you would expect given the nominal speed rating, so keep that in mind. Surfing can be sluggish, even if actual download speeds are ok.

I didn't use the BGAN voice option on the Hughes, but have used several larger dish type sat systems. They don't all work well for voice, but if they are configured correctly, it was a far better system than the globalstar/iridium orbiting networks. I wouldn't mind trying that on the little portable BGAN's at some point, but just haven't had the chance.

Yk

Back