Backpack base camp distance from elk

Hi guys. I’ve been backpack hunting elk in CO the last 3 archery seasons. I’m curious what people think about the minimum distance to set up a base camp down the mountain from where I would likely encounter elk. My current area of interest has 4 small creeks/drainage that all funnel into one larger (but still pretty small drainage). I want to camp about a mile downstream from where I’ve encountered elk (and I think this about as low as the elk will move at this point in the season. If I’m camping relatively close to the creek, is this distance going to be ok or would I risk winding them from general smell around my camp when the thermals start heading uphill? Thanks for any advice on how far away I should camp to be safe.

taskswap

WKR
It depends how hectic your "base camp" is going to be. 3-4 people banging pots and pans, laughing over beers, and running a fire all day? I'd camp at least a mile or two away. 1-2 people in a quiet, low-key setup not talking (voices carry a long way!) and just hunkering down each night and maybe a mid-day rest? I literally "go to bed with them" around me.

This guy came and fed 30 yards from my base camp last year. He wasn't the only one who did. I could have winged him with a rock.

elk-aspens.jpeg

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I don't camp anywhere near where I'm hunting (minimum 1 mile). I wouldn't camp on the creek as elk will use this to water plus the humidity it gives off at night sucks (also I live in grizzly country so no bueno). I would camp with some shelter (trees or shrubs or rocks) so you don't let all the animals know about your presence. I don't hunt elk anymore just booner bucks but this theory should apply to most game. The area of interest you intend to hunt comes first followed by a camp that gives you the highest percentage at success, sometimes that means having a camp set up in an area that is not ideal but gives you the advantage. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

DanimalW

WKR
I just assume CO elk are used to smelling people a mile away. Whitetails aren’t alarmed by my scent at my house 200 yards away, but damnit, they smell me 50 yards away and that’s a different story.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Elk aren't going to smell you a mile away.

A 1/2 mile is fine if you aren't camped in a travel corridor. I've never been winded past ~400 yards even if the thermals were smoking right at them and I smelled like an onion patch. There are so many rec. users in Colorado, most elk are used to hearing people at longer distances.

t_carlson

WKR
You're probably fine provided that the prevailing wind doesn't blow in their direction. I've watched them wind me 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away before.

Grant K

FNG
I try to keep a mile or ideally a basin away, I don't think its just one time use that's the problem, it's the disturbance that comes from setting up and hanging out in one area for a couple days at a time, you can get away with a lot for a day or two, if you want an area to stay good for a week stay in stealth mode and camp a long ways away.

Idaboy

WKR
Would camp next basin or drainage over....would not camp in the drainages you plan to hunt, (unless it's like solo, mobile spike camp on your back and it's end of the day and you are below them).

Marble

WKR
I usually camp at the bottom near a creek. If the creek is noisy, I'm not worried about noise. Wind at the bottom of a valley usually has a prevailing direction unless weather comes in.

A few of my spots have elk that can and have been right in camp. But generally, I'm a few hundred yards from the area where I really start to pay attention for animals.

If I'm not by a creek at the bottom,I put a geographic feature between myself and the hunting area to block wind and noise.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

wyogoat

WKR
Just stay out of their bedroom. You can’t predict where elk will travel through so just do your best and remember wind swirls. I typically try to stay in a different “territory” and all my elk hunts now are pack in hunts. I’ve had instances when I could have shot bulls from the tent door, obviously with wind being favorable.
The tag I have this year has a rock cliff running the area I want to hunt and I’ll camp against that as the prevailing wind SHOULD blow straight to the wall. If you’re considering where you should camp then you’re already ahead of where most people are and should be fine.

You will know if you’re too close when the elk move down from you or away. If they sense your presence they will move. I see it every year and no doubt it’s me they smell and sense.

I love it when elk are bugling on the ridge I'm camped on. That means I'm in the right place to camp and start my daily hunts. I've drawn my bow several times just outside my tent both in the morning and evening. Damn I love that ridge.....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I love it when elk are bugling on the ridge I'm camped on.
In 2014 I packed in to a new area the day before opening day. Tent was right near timberline. My buddy had to work that day so was coming up that evening. I texted him the coordinates. Right before complete darkness I heard a bunch of cow chirps really close and I thought it was my buddy trying to find me. So I pulled a cow call out of my pack and was getting out of the tent when I heard antlers clashing together. I knew that wasn't him. I got out and there was a big herd right there on the ridge with me, with one big massive bull and a few raghorns.

taskswap

WKR
It's crazy what elk care about. You can spook one from a half mile away just sky-lining yourself while cresting a ridge, and never see it again. Or you can be just chilling out reading a book in front of your tent and one walks right by.

PMcGee

WKR
We camp a couple hundred yards from where we glass. We’ve had bulls bugling come into camp both day and night. When we first camp there I was a little worried we’d bump the elk out of there but after several years it doesn’t seem to bother them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DeePow

FNG
This past year while solo hunting I camped about a quarter mile away from a wallow I sit in the morning and evenings. I had got into two bulls on the ridge above the wallow during the day. I decided not to push them too hard since I had gotten to the zone after work. Once I backed off, I descended a quarter mile below the wallow to set camp up.

I woke up at three in the morning to a small tree being demolished. The bill continued to put on a full show while I lay inside my tent. I ranged that tree at 60 yards in the morning and he never even knew I was around.

I hope to camp right on them this year. Wake up and have my son put a bullet in one. Then start the 3 mile pack out to the truck. Doubt it will workout that way:)

bcnorth

FNG
I try to be at least 1km and try to keep noise to a minimum. Its usually 2 of us so its not too hard except setting up the titanium stove - always makes us cringe! Most times when we try to keep camp 1-2km away they end up coming right through at least a couple times and dont seem to go to far by dawn. We have found fresh rubs less than 100m away. i think they are smart enough to know your there and will be on heightened awareness come morning.