Camp Distance?

Just curious what y’all’s general rule of thumb is for backpack hunting and location? Up high or down low? I’ve read a mile from where you want to be? What if that’s not possible? What’s a safe distance to not blow stuff up?

It really depends. I won't give much away for free these days, but I will tell you this.

Low = Easy water access for you.
High = Can be harder water access for you

Low = you will freeze
High = you will be warmer

Have fun

TaperPin

WKR
Just curious what y’all’s general rule of thumb is for backpack hunting and location? Up high or down low? I’ve read a mile from where you want to be? What if that’s not possible? What’s a safe distance to not blow stuff up?
Something to avoid is setting up a back packing camp without knowing what game uses that space. I’ve seen tents pop up on the exact feeding spot at timberline deer had used for a week before. Had they looked the day before they could have shot a buck on that same little bowl. This happens every year somewhere.

Its best to camp in the trees on a seldom used ridge and pack all your water from a nearby creek. If you’re in the middle of doe deer with no elk tracks anywhere on the ridge, and down or cross wind from any huntable country it’s a good sign. Not the most fun. It’s easier to camp where you shouldn’t. If backpack hunting was a vacation everyone would be doing it.

I generally camp "right with the elk", so to speak, and within 400 to 800 yards of my glassing promontory. More often than not, my camps are in a saddle on a high ridge. I'm in stealth mode when in that situation, though; no loud noises (no loud talking, no boisterous laughing, no clanking noises, etc).