Backpack Elk Hunting on a Budget

unm1136

WKR
Do yourself a favor, and if you are going to buy anything at REI ever, join the co-op. $20.00 for a lifetime membership. I avoided this for years, as I didn't like the hippie, left leaning corporate atmosphere. I still don't, but I have been treated very kindly by the staffs at three different REIs in three different states. I get 2-3 20% off coupons a year plus coupons for the online outlet, and a percentage of my purchases come back to me. I would not have joined if it were an annual thing, like Sportsman's Guide. The member's Garage Sale, where they sell older rental gear is a good deal. I have taken two, soon to be three of their classes that they offer in the store, and been pleasantly pleased with the information presented.

Get a pay pal account and check the auction sites regularly. I picked up my Kifaru EMR in multicam for less than half off on flea bay. Not the lightest setup, but a set of Light Weight stays, and an HPG shoulder harness, and my Duplex frame will weigh about 3.5 pounds, and I can go with a high camp bag from there, or use the UL pods I already have.

I am getting back into hunting after a multi-year hiatus. I have a wife and three kids, and my budget is not near what yours is. I am spending about $300-$500 a year and in a few years will be set up like I want to be. One place to save money, if necessary, is to find a local surveyor shop. Locally I can get a topo map of my hunting unit with the private land marked. Learn to use a map and compass. GPS is nice, but not on my list of gotta haves. I can get a water resistant map, a decent compass, and the REI map and compass class for less than $100. The knowledge and compass are one time purchases. GPS will wait for me.

pat

KMT

WKR
The first thing to realize is that you don't need to be decked out in Kuiu, Sitka, and Kryptek; shoot a $1000 bow; wear $300 boots; and use $500 binocs to shoot an elk. I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but animals don't really care how much you spent on your gear. When I was in college, I hunted with my cousin, and between both of us, we barely had enough money for gas and food. Yet we were successful hunters and had lots if fun. We did it all in jeans, cheap boots, and horrible gear. Someone mentioned above that you will spend much more money in the long run if you buy something cheap at first. I agree with him. If you buy high quality gear, it will last a really long time. But as a college kid, or even a recent college grad, you may not have that luxury. Just get the best that you can reasonably afford. You will do just fine hunting without the best gear in the world. If I were going to splurge on one item, it would be boots. You will wear them every day, and its nice to have something that doesn't torture you.

OP
aaron14

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm open to any and all suggestions so keep it coming!

I'd get the whole setup, 20 bucks for merino top, 20 for legs, 13 for the camo synth top, 20 for lightweight pants. Hell you could equip fully for under 175 including a jacket! I bought a tundra Pullover.

ST52v

WKR
I got the apx puffy vest and jacket of amazon today for around $105 total. The l3 or 4 layer.

OP
aaron14

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions. Both the Minus33 and RedRam look nice. Probably going to get a couple.
Any links to a gear list I can use as a guide?

Thanks for the suggestions. Both the Minus33 and RedRam look nice. Probably going to get a couple.
Any links to a gear list I can use as a guide?
id be happy to email you mine, its defiantly not the end all be all but it works. justins is posted in his "3lb shelter" thread

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
I second what KMT said above. You don't need all the fancy, expensive gear and clothing to have a fun and successful elk hunt.
Get a used backpacking pack off e-bay, synthetic clothing instead of merino, and look at vendors other than hunting specific ones and you can have decent gear at a fraction of the price. You could be totally outfitted for what you have budgeted for clothing and boots alone.

OP
aaron14

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Just went through my hunting gear and am pretty set on clothes other than base-layer tops and rain gear (so saving quite a bit of money there). I'm thinking C4E Torrent Jacket and Pants, but any other suggestions on rain gear?

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
Just went through my hunting gear and am pretty set on clothes other than base-layer tops and rain gear (so saving quite a bit of money there). I'm thinking C4E Torrent Jacket and Pants, but any other suggestions on rain gear?

I went with the Propper Ultralights when they were on closeout. I dont know if there are any left now.