Backpack recommendations for Hiking with little ones

TyWeimer

FNG
I’d love to hear what other Rok Sliders have used when taking their little ones hiking with them.. I’ve seen countless chest carriers and backpacks. My son is turning a year old this spring, I’d love to take him along on some hikes. Appreciate any feedback!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Have two of them, I own a kelty and a deuter, I actually prefer the deuter for how you get the kid in and out ( from the side vs. top) the kelty is okay but the deuter has an edge on it. They are decently Cush. Most of them don’t have a ton of storage they are generally pretty comfortable and I wear my kiddo to the bow range pretty often, definitely adds a little added challenge

We packed both of our boys many, many miles. Kelty is going to be mentioned and it’s the most popular. We preferred the Deuter 10:1 over the Kelty. They are lighter, better frame/suspension, easier to load/unload the kid, etc.
I passed both our Deuters on to a friend otherwise I’d cut you a hell of a deal.

We have an Osprey Poco Plus. My wife and I tried on multiple different brands and models and that was the one we liked most. We love it, as it allows us to comfortably carry our little boy and gear to do things we wouldn't otherwise deal with the hassle of bringing an infant/toddler.

jolemons

WKR
I have ran an Osprey Poco Plus exclusively for many miles hiking and shed hunting. I found the hip belt to be uncomfortable, and the bladder hanging area between the frame and bag is very hard to get a bladder into. Storage is sufficient for some light layers and lunch. If I had to do it again, I'd look elsewhere before committing to Osprey again.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
a9e1bf04b2d22e1d7f217561cb13934a.jpg

johnw

FNG
Osprey Poco...really no complaints. We started our oldest in the pack around 9 months and it worked well. Hes out grown it now, but that same pack lasted until he was 4 with a lot of miles. Easy for the kids to sleep in too.

Lowg08

WKR
I have one down here you can have. I carried both of mine countless miles. It even has stirrups and a small pack to carry all you need under the seat. It’s very comfortable. I had to wear it to carry my daughter even mowing the yard.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I hiked miles with my daughter in a Deuter. She would usually fall asleep shortly after a hike started. After she grew out of it, I loaned it to a friend and he said the same thing happened when his son was in it.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I hiked miles with my daughter in a Deuter. She would usually fall asleep shortly after a hike started. After she grew out of it, I loaned it to a friend and he said the same thing happened when his son was in it.
Hoping that works come Sept… hard enough to get a bull coming in, not sure how it will go with a 2 year old on my back haha 😂 but we will hike the bow around and have fun I’m sure of that

croben

Lil-Rokslider
The Osprey Poco Plus seemed to have the best carrier and features, but the harness system was terribly uncomfortable. I started using my frame and just attaching the Poco Plus to that and it has been perfect since.

Deuter Kid Comfort works well and is comfortable to wear. Unfortunately, they’re pricey, but worth it for how well they carry. I bought it from either backcountry or MooseJaw then they ran a 20% off sale.

chasewild

WKR
Have used the poco for three years now. The biggest issue is getting their legs through the harness holes/seat. Particularly hard in the winter when we’re touring. That’s my biggest gripe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chasewild

WKR
Have used the poco for three years now. The biggest issue is getting their legs through the harness holes/seat. Particularly hard in the winter when we’re touring. That’s my biggest gripe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the TrailMagik. It's been the best option I found because I can run my normal pack and carry the kid in the front. I never found a designated kid carrier that gave me enough storage.