Backpack stove for cooking, not just boiling water...

OP
B
I went to REI today and picked up the Primus yellowstone, the REI 8" skillet, and the MSR flex skillet.

I will be testing both skillets and the Primus yellowstone against the soto stove that I ahve arriving tomorrow from campsaver. I'm going to camp at a lake this weekend and do some trout fishing so I am hoping to pan fry some trout, cook bacon and eggs, and also plan on cooking some stir fry as well. This should give me a pretty good idea of what setup I want to carry when I want to cook real food.

The Primus yellowstone and the REI skillet will be the heaviest at just under 20oz.

The soto and MSR flex skillet comes in at 13oz.

I will let everyone know my thoughts after cooking with both this weekend.

Take-a-knee

Banned
For actual cooking, I take an MSR Windpro, or a SVEA 123. Either will simmer quite well. Hell, the SVEA can literally be set on "pilot-light" mode, with a tiny yellow flame.

ChrisS

WKR
This is an older thread, but I use a pocket rocket for solo and if the wife is coming I bring a Kovea Moonwalker. I really love this stove. It's stable as hell, so I have zero issues with putting a big coffee pot on there or a bigger skillet when cooking for 2-4. Kovea also makes a propane adapter to even use the 1lb cans (I take these when canoing and weight is less an issue). The flame control is top notch and I can bring it down to the barest of simmers.

OP
B
The moonwalker looks nice...it does look nice and stable.

I actually picked up one of these at REI and have since sold my Soto stove. You may laugh, but for $20, this thing is a cooking beast! It breaks down into 2 pieces and fits in a little sack that it came with. It is technically heavier and bigger than a pocket rocket/soto backpacking stove, but we are talking oz's and just a little more room.

The burner is bigger than the smaller stoves and it disperses heat more evenly than the soto did for sure. It works great on my little 8" lightweight skillet.

I've made fajitas, omelets, fried bacon, scrambled eggs, pan fried trout, sautéed mushrooms and asparagus, and probably a couple more things with it...

It's a great little stove.

http://www.rei.com/product/636832/primus-yellowstone-classic-trail-stove

Most jetboils are either on or off, no adjustment in flame intensity. The MiniMo model is an exception but i haven't tried it out.

I have had a jetboil for several years and it is obviously not one of the latest models, and it regulates just fine. You just turn the knob just like you would on a gas stove at home.

Jetboil also offers a frying pan that you can use with their stove that has their heat distributor thingy on the bottom. I have cooked eggs and bacon on it fine. You just need to get the heat right and remember that it is NOT a non-stick pan so use butter or some kind of grease to keep your food from sticking.

With the pot stand shown above you can use your existing pans but you would need to hold their handles since it isn't a really stable platform unless it has their heat distributor on the bottom.

Larry

I recently purchase the optimus Polaris stove. Can use any fuel out there including canisters. It simmers awesome and boils just as well. Love my reactor for strictly water boiling. But this new Polaris is a do everything stove.