Heat for cargo trailer

nebhunt

WKR
I am planning on using my cargo trailer to camp out of as another option to my tent. This would be for the elk hunting out west. I am looking at two options for the heat source. I have a NuWay 4300 stove that I could use. It would require a hole for the stove pipe and a hole for the line from the propane tank. The other option would be to get a diesel heater. It would only require one hole for the air duct coming in. I would have the heater itself outside along with the battery/power source. I will be adding a couple RV type windows and maybe some sort of insulation to the roof. What option do you think would be best?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you put in windows, can you make an insert for a stove pipe to put it into an open a window? Then you have fewer penetrations.

Geewhiz

WKR
Another vote for the diesel heater. I have one in an enclosed 6x12 trailer that is uninsulated except for 1 inch foam board in the ceiling. Ive slept in it when its 0 or a bit below outside and the diesel heater kept it mid 50s in there. Most of the time it will roast me out but even when its real cold it still stays plenty warm enough.

GoatPackr

WKR
Run the Nu-way. It's plenty and you don't need to spend money on something. Stay away from buddy heaters as they produce a ton of moisture that is not good if you are in the below freezing temps.
No matter what you use make sure you install a CO detector down low.
The money you save by keeping the Nu-way you can install 1" board insulation and a small 12" door in the side to run the pipe out for the heater. It's what I'm doing on my trailer. It came with small doors to pass a fuel pump into for fueling the toys up. Works great a s ventilation and running the stove pipe out. It just needs to stick out the side and not run up the outside like a wood stove. Keep it simple.

Kris

As for these diesel heaters, is there a recommended brand? I’ve been using an rv furnace that I have tied into some batteries that works okay. But it’s a little underpowered for a snowmobile trailer that we often use and would like to possible supplement it.

Werty

WKR
Im going to switch to a diesel heater. I also going to use for tent camping in mild conditions

Wrench

WKR
I've used the webasto and espar which the Amazon Chinese copied for about 10% of the cost. The units that are permanent install with a remote tank are what ive used. I had one in my crane in prudhoe and could be cozy at 30 below zero. 5 gallons of diesel would last basically forever.

Geewhiz

WKR
As far as the brand goes I bought a cheapo off eBay and I’m not sure it even has a brand name. Figured if the unit crapped out I could leave the fuel tank and intake/exhaust lines installed and just swap out the unit with another eBay Chinese special. But I am on year 3 with it and haven’t had any issues so far.

Ensure you have a GOOD carbon monoxide tester (or two for that matter) to ensure you don’t asphyxiate yourself.

I hope you already know that - but a lot of people don’t.

Big Buddy Hesters work too. You should be able to blast some heat and it stays semi warm in there for a while. Prob won’t need constant heat, but it depends on how warm like it and how cold it is outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

nebhunt

WKR
I do use a carbon monoxide detector whenever I use a propane heater. Even in a tent.

I think I am going to try out a diesel heater for the cargo trailer heat and possible backup source for a tent when I leave the trailer at home. Do you have to have anything special with the Chinese diesel heater to use them at higher altitude?

CAM_D

FNG
Another vote for a cheap diesel heater. I have one installed in my popup and prefer to use it over the original furnace. I also have a fully portable one that I use in my kodiak tent when space is an issue and we don't want to take the wood stove.

kramcutthroat

Lil-Rokslider
They are all the same essentially. The expensive German ones are more reliable but if you do a few little things like run on high right before shutting off, mix a little kerosene in the fuel, etc, it’ll run well and keep you nice and warm and dry. I have a few different versions but the maxspeedingrods I got off amazon is nice because it has an app to control temp as well as a remote thermostat for set it and forget it use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbkr

FNG
That Nuway stove looks pretty cool. Sounds like a diesel heater located outside would save you a little bit of interior room.
My wife and I have used our 6x12 enclosed trailer for some hunting camps. We run a big buddy heater since we already have it from ice fishing. (If our trailer was larger I'd likely invest the time and $ putting in windows and a hole for a stove pipe.) We just keep the door cracked when the stove is on and we shut it off when we go to bed. We also have a CO detector which I think is cheap insurance with any heater/furnace setup.

Our trailer is wired up with lights and outlets to be powered off our little Honda generator. We bring a microwave, electric kettle and a hair dryer. The microwave and kettle are so convenient and the hair dryer is perfect for drying out boots at the end of the day. I highly recommend having those three items.

OP
N

nebhunt

WKR
For those of you that have experience with using a diesel heater in the mountains, do you need to do any adjustments to the heater for altitude? I see on the Vevor website that they have a Plateau model that is supposed to adjust for higher altitudes. Is that option necessary?