Backpack Training

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Gettin' back into a routine of spending some evenings hiking around with the pack loaded down. Even though its April , September will be here before we know it! I'm from PA and I am heading out to Idaho solo for high country mule deer this year. Hiking up hills loaded down and listening to an old Kifarucast with South Cox and Snyder takling about mule deer got me so fired up haha

Curious other guys' routine for backpack training. How do u like to setup your pack? What do u like to use for weight/how much? How often? etc.

kifaru.jpg

I run a Mystery Ranch pack and have it setup correctly for me. I run Kentrek boots that are well maintained and well broke-in. I’m very comfortable with my gear. So no factor there.

At the age of 45, I’ve pretty well figured out what works for me. Diet and exercise that maintain my weight and endurance work best for me. I mountain bike all summer….aggressively. I then put my pack on durning hunting season and call it good. This works for me.

Last season, I put on over 150 miles…on foot…and packed out three elk and a white tail (with help).

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Mystery Ranch pack and have it setup correctly for me. I run Kentrek boots that are well maintained and well broke-in. I’m very comfortable with my gear. So no factor there.

At the age of 45, I’ve pretty well figured out what works for me. Diet and exercise that maintain my weight and endurance work best for me. I mountain bike all summer….aggressively. I then put my pack on durning hunting season and call it good. This works for me.

Last season, I put on over 150 miles…on foot…and packed out three elk and a white tail (with help).
Thats awesome man, Best training and nutrition plans are the ones that u can consistently stick to for sure.

I like to mix in the endurance too, I run a ton doing ultras and marathons but come like end of July, i stop with the races and really get dialed in with training more specifically to hunting.

Also congrats on that , sounds like an awesome season

I try to walk every day. When I am home I have a nice 3 mile loop around my neighborhood that I’ll do. I generally have one of my packs loaded with stuff for a day trip so that is what I carry. It probably weighs 15-20lbs. I live at 7500’ so that is pretty handy.

I try to get out to the woods at least a couple times each week, now that my youngest has taken an interest in being out that has gotten me out more this past month.

I don’t really have a diet, I calories are just a number to me and I try to work off more than I eat.

I have been doing a set of 100s (pushups and squats) every morning for a few years now, then I will add in some kettlebell work throughout the day.

So far this has been working for me, I will likely continue it until there is a need for a change.

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
I try to walk every day. When I am home I have a nice 3 mile loop around my neighborhood that I’ll do. I generally have one of my packs loaded with stuff for a day trip so that is what I carry. It probably weighs 15-20lbs. I live at 7500’ so that is pretty handy.

I try to get out to the woods at least a couple times each week, now that my youngest has taken an interest in being out that has gotten me out more this past month.

I don’t really have a diet, I calories are just a number to me and I try to work off more than I eat.

I have been doing a set of 100s (pushups and squats) every morning for a few years now, then I will add in some kettlebell work throughout the day.

So far this has been working for me, I will likely continue it until there is a need for a change.
Sweet sounds like a solid routine. Cool to hear your kid is getting interested too!

Thats awesome man, Best training and nutrition plans are the ones that u can consistently stick to for sure.

I like to mix in the endurance too, I run a ton doing ultras and marathons but come like end of July, i stop with the races and really get dialed in with training more specifically to hunting.

Also congrats on that , sounds like an awesome season
Ultras and marathons will do the trick! That’s more running than my body likes…hence sticking to the bike.

If I do carry a pack nowadays, I don’t hike without trekking poles. I started using them last year and they make a huge difference. No more slipping around in the snow with a heavy pack. I just hike faster with them too!

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Ultras and marathons will do the trick! That’s more running than my body likes…hence sticking to the bike.

If I do carry a pack nowadays, I don’t hike without trekking poles. I started using them last year and they make a huge difference. No more slipping around in the snow with a heavy pack. I just hike faster with them too!
Bike is great too! I have yet to go that route but my old man loves his bike. All good stuff.

And yeah i used to talk smack on people who used trekking poles.. till I tried them.. lol

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't pack weight "train" until about 8 weeks out of hunting season (start w/ lower weight and build, usually every other day—mileage/terrain varies. I've never felt under trained by doing this while packing meat.

That said I am wearing a pack most of the year; often just a 10-ish lb daypack, but I do a lot of backpacking (year round) so lots of miles w/ 20-40 lbs as well.

I try to walk every day. .

I do as well; definitely helps to be retired! :D

where are you in PA? I'm humping a 60# bag of cement around in southern Lancaster and Chester counties pretty frequently. otherwise, lots of weighted step ups, lots of tire drags, and some strength training.

inkedspot

FNG
I try to do weighted backpack walks with the dog 3x a week. 60-80# in pack for several miles each time, mostly to get the core muscles used to supporting the pack weight. Also do a lot of plyo box step ups with a sand vest. Still never fully prepared since I live at sea level.

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
I try to do weighted backpack walks with the dog 3x a week. 60-80# in pack for several miles each time, mostly to get the core muscles used to supporting the pack weight. Also do a lot of plyo box step ups with a sand vest. Still never fully prepared since I live at sea level.
Good stuff. Hey thats better than nothin!

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
where are you in PA? I'm humping a 60# bag of cement around in southern Lancaster and Chester counties pretty frequently. otherwise, lots of weighted step ups, lots of tire drags, and some strength training.
Awesome man! Im in southerwestern PA , just below Pittsburgh. I know ur way tho , used to live in West Chester for a bit for work

NealS02

FNG
I do at least a weekly ruck of 6 miles but sometimes more. A big focus of my training is running long distance (13+ mile runs) and would probably ruck more if that wasn’t important to me. My go to weight is a 50 lbs bag of play sand with a garbage bag around it. It tried bricks in a sleeping bag and tore up my Mystery Ranch Metcalf…don’t do that.

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
I do at least a weekly ruck of 6 miles but sometimes more. A big focus of my training is running long distance (13+ mile runs) and would probably ruck more if that wasn’t important to me. My go to weight is a 50 lbs bag of play sand with a garbage bag around it. It tried bricks in a sleeping bag and tore up my Mystery Ranch Metcalf…don’t do that.
Good tip lol. I run a lot too , i always say ya rucking would no doubt be the best thing but i cant help but also get my running in too. Sounds like u got a good setup as well

Been following the mtn tough programming for a few years now and walk an average of 6 miles a day at work living in sw Michigan it’s pretty flat… that said their is a 13 mile trail system close to the house that has a lot of short up and downs along the river I start about now with 40 pounds and work up to 80 pounds a few weeks before season just to make sure my feet are ready heavy weight for hours on end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Been following the mtn tough programming for a few years now and walk an average of 6 miles a day at work living in sw Michigan it’s pretty flat… that said their is a 13 mile trail system close to the house that has a lot of short up and downs along the river I start about now with 40 pounds and work up to 80 pounds a few weeks before season just to make sure my feet are ready heavy weight for hours on end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heck yeah man. I see mtn tough's stuff. Got me thinking about trying it out. You like it? I do enjoy their content and podcast too