Backstop Recoil Pad

NSI

WKR
I've bitten the bullet and ordered one for a 6.5 creed Tikka. I'll post a followup in this thread when I've shot it.

What I like:
Customized approach to flattening the recoil curve on the basis of energy delivered, vs an all-in-one approach.

Acknowledgement of the twin importances of jerk reduction and scope stability under recoil.

No-compromise on recoil performance from a design standpoint vis a vis durability for storage on pad (WTF, store your guns barrel down for several reasons).

Jim, as much as he likes to put on the common man's clothes, is clearly intelligent and has put the time in to understand the basic physics behind what he's doing.

What I dislike:
Pooping on small cartridge hunting in the launch video.

Accepting sketchy sponsorships despite clearly having the money to be more selective.

We shall see.

-J

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Interesting idea. Might make a small difference with the bigger calibers in the nano second while the bulllet is in a long barrel, but the rifles is moving in all sorts of directions unless you have affirmative recoil management.

I want to see the test against the typical 1” limb saver and decelerator pads.

I just went down in bullet and powder grains, with a nice 1” pad and called it good.

Macintosh

WKR
@TaperPin Have you tried a microcell pad? The .6” size is like 1-2oz when ground to fit, and it has a base and all so no worries about it crushing into the stock, etc. If this is 2oz thats also pretty darn light, just strikes me a bit extreme to compare it to using a flip flop

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
I think it was 2 ozs or so. In any case, lighter than most. They said in the youtube.
@TaperPin Have you tried a microcell pad? The .6” size is like 1-2oz when ground to fit, and it has a base and all so no worries about it crushing into the stock, etc. If this is 2oz thats also pretty darn light, just strikes me a bit extreme to compare it to using a flip flop
That is nice and light! I’ll have to look into one.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Let us know how it is. I’d like to be able to spot shots a bit better with my 30-06, it’s almost there with a silencer but if this is better than a limbsaver I’d buy it.

I tried one of the weatherby special pads on a friends rifle and it was nice but it was all dented in from the way he stored it.

ElPollo

WKR
This was intended as a reply to Jimh406, but I didn’t hit the reply button on my phone.

Almost everything Backfire presents on the YouTube channel is clickbait stuff that I’ve heard a thousand times without well thought-out testing to evaluate whether or not it is true. It’s just self confirmation of preexisting biases. For examples, where do I start? Scope evaluations by tossing them in his pool, focusing on large controlled expansion bullets without evaluating wound channels under real world condition (i.e. low velocity impacts and wound volume versus penetration), and focusing on energy as a measuring stick for cartridge selection. All that just points to a general misunderstanding of ballistics and a rehashing of old dogma without any new additions. I also think his take on high shoulder shots should have taken into consideration common shooting errors in field conditions and the potential downsides of that shot. I honestly unsubscribed a while back because I felt that watching his videos didn’t add anything for me.

As for the recoil pad, I think it’s a case of math overload. Is a squishy pad comfy? Sure. But there are other squishy pads that don’t cost $90. And aren’t you better off putting your $90 into changing stock ergonomics which affects felt recoil, the direction of the recoil, and your ability to stay on target? You do that by raising the buttpad and the comb, which this doesn’t address. And finally who wants to deal with a recoil pad that needs a separate protector that I would probably lose? That just says he’s way more OCD than I will ever be.

Chett09

FNG
I like the idea. the storage cover isn't a big deal. leave it in your safe when you take your gun to the range or on a hunt and when you get back grab it from your safe and your done. I like how he nerds out on everything, that is how new ideas come to fruition. To the OP let us know how it works out please. I would love to try it out on my .300 win mag if tou find it helpful.

BAC

FNG
Classified Approved
What I dislike:
Pooping on small cartridge hunting in the launch video.

That did annoy me a little in the launch video. Think some local-to-him Roksliders should take him out big game hunting with those 'child' cartridges. I'd put that recoil pad on a .223 or 6mm Tikka just to 'spite' him, as much as one can spite someone after financially supporting them by buying their product.

WKR
Jim comes across as a great snake oil salesman.

His force graph is obviously cooked to show a certain result for those who aren't used to looking at raw data, ie, almost everybody.

His graphs conveniently leave out units, and even the full picture of the force profile. Supposed testing that they did isn't revealed other than a claim of reduced recoil, which is nonsense.

As far as the general effort on YouTube, he's high on energy and seems likable enough but I have little or no confidence in his actual ability to "test" in any valid way.

He does do a better job of getting to the point (even if it's incorrect) than many YT gun channels. An old crusty guy droning on forever is a little hard to watch, even if the information is generally better.

Last edited:

Chett09

FNG
Are we all talking about the same thing? I see a recoil pad custom made for your rifle to help reduce felt recoil. nothing more nothing less. its not much different than any other hunting or shooting product that the hunting celebrities promote. it appears he helped in the design and testing and is excited about his product. i dont understand all the negative attention....maybe that is just me.