Backstop Recoil Pad

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
In Moab and variously on the road next few weeks. No shipping notification. Got an email that they lost my data so I filled it back in for them. Got an MDT fit as well out of curiosity.

-J
Right on. I’m intrigued so still looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you try it.

FWIW, I sent an inquiry last week asking if there is an XLR option in the works……..crickets.

I sent a message before Christmas to see if they still thought they would be received by Christmas. I never heard back from them. I did get them in today. The communication is not good. I hope the product is better.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one on a whim a while back. It came in the mail this week and I mounted it on my hardest hitting Tikka.

I examined it fairly thoroughly, squished it a few times in direct comparison to a Limbsaver AirTech pad. The Backstop pad had ever so slightly less total "travel" potential, max compressibility may be a better term? The difference wasn't a lot, but it was just noticeable.

The Backstop crushes nicely, and seems to offer less resistance initially then increases as it compresses. Limbsaver had more consistent resistance.

I shot a 10 rounds with the Backstop after work today, and it dampened recoil very well, similar or almost exactly the same as the Limbsaver that had been on that rifle for over a year.

My final assessment; it keeps up with the Limbsaver AirTech, but it's over double the price and feels plasticy and kind of cheap.

Keep your Limbsavers and your $90

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I bought one on a whim a while back. It came in the mail this week and I mounted it on my hardest hitting Tikka.

I examined it fairly thoroughly, squished it a few times in direct comparison to a Limbsaver AirTech pad. The Backstop pad had ever so slightly less total "travel" potential, max compressibility may be a better term? The difference wasn't a lot, but it was just noticeable.

The Backstop crushes nicely, and seems to offer less resistance initially then increases as it compresses. Limbsaver had more consistent resistance.

I shot a 10 rounds with the Backstop after work today, and it dampened recoil very well, similar or almost exactly the same as the Limbsaver that had been on that rifle for over a year.

My final assessment; it keeps up with the Limbsaver AirTech, but it's over double the price and feels plasticy and kind of cheap.

Keep your Limbsavers and your $90
Thanks, saved me a bit of money since I already have limbsavers on the guns I would put a backstop on.

goatsie

Lil-Rokslider
So I received mine today and wanted to give some first impressions. I won’t be able to shoot for a few more weeks, but wanted to provide my initial thoughts.
-Shipping was quick! I placed an order and was told I would get them mid February, but they arrived three weeks prior to that.
-Upon receiving the packaging seems very “Etsy”…it is nice but doesn’t really stick with their high tech solution to recoil theme.
-Quality video instructions of installation are provided
- Fitment is perfect, to me this is the current best option for the HNT26.
-The recoil pads feel VERY 3D printed, I am a little worried about how they will hold up. I could also see the lattice structure getting filled with dirt when shooting prone.
- everything feels just barely unfinished, like edges pictured. I realize this is due to the limitations of 3D printing used. Once you accept it for what it is, it feels overall well made.
- I am overall satisfied with the purchase, however, I hope to be even more impressed with the function!
IMG_9007.jpeg
IMG_9009.jpeg
IMG_9010.jpeg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
So I received mine today and wanted to give some first impressions. I won’t be able to shoot for a few more weeks, but wanted to provide my initial thoughts.
-Shipping was quick! I placed an order and was told I would get them mid February, but they arrived three weeks prior to that.
-Upon receiving the packaging seems very “Etsy”…it is nice but doesn’t really stick with their high tech solution to recoil theme.
-Quality video instructions of installation are provided
- Fitment is perfect, to me this is the current best option for the HNT26.
-The recoil pads feel VERY 3D printed, I am a little worried about how they will hold up. I could also see the lattice structure getting filled with dirt when shooting prone.
- everything feels just barely unfinished, like edges pictured. I realize this is due to the limitations of 3D printing used. Once you accept it for what it is, it feels overall well made.
- I am overall satisfied with the purchase, however, I hope to be even more impressed with the function!
View attachment 663412
View attachment 663413
View attachment 663414
Right on thanks for posting. Im
Looking forward to your thought when you get a chance to use it. I’ve been going back and forth on one of these.

cmatzek

FNG
You make a valid point about the data. That bothered me too when I watched the video, but I am a chemist so I realize I’m already prone to nerdom and questioning data. Nonetheless, he’s got my attention. If he comes out with a pad that fits the XLR carbon buttstock, I’ll likely try it for my lightweight 7saum.
They do have one for the XLR Carbon, I ordered for my XLR but have the TR-2 and it didn't fit. After talking with Jim on the phone it was an oversight on their part because they thought both stocks were the same. They printed me a different one and was told to keep the original.... So if you want one for a 7mag recoil in a 8-10 lb setup I'd make you a deal over the price of new.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth, mine was a shade too big all the way around my T3X also. Seems like it may have been rushed through the development stages.

It's not egregiously too large, but definitely noticeable to the touch and eye. I never contacted them, however, because it was close enough.

This was intended as a reply to Jimh406, but I didn’t hit the reply button on my phone.

Almost everything Backfire presents on the YouTube channel is clickbait stuff that I’ve heard a thousand times without well thought-out testing to evaluate whether or not it is true. It’s just self confirmation of preexisting biases. For examples, where do I start? Scope evaluations by tossing them in his pool, focusing on large controlled expansion bullets without evaluating wound channels under real world condition (i.e. low velocity impacts and wound volume versus penetration), and focusing on energy as a measuring stick for cartridge selection. All that just points to a general misunderstanding of ballistics and a rehashing of old dogma without any new additions. I also think his take on high shoulder shots should have taken into consideration common shooting errors in field conditions and the potential downsides of that shot. I honestly unsubscribed a while back because I felt that watching his videos didn’t add anything for me.

As for the recoil pad, I think it’s a case of math overload. Is a squishy pad comfy? Sure. But there are other squishy pads that don’t cost $90. And aren’t you better off putting your $90 into changing stock ergonomics which affects felt recoil, the direction of the recoil, and your ability to stay on target? You do that by raising the buttpad and the comb, which this doesn’t address. And finally who wants to deal with a recoil pad that needs a separate protector that I would probably lose? That just says he’s way more OCD than I will ever be.
why not change stock ergonomics AND get a different recoil pad?? You can have both you know. I dont see a problem with the concept of the pad, innovation or competition is always a good thing. Im spending over $90 on bullets atm so im not to worried about the price of the recoil pad. Might have to try one out.

ElPollo

WKR
why not change stock ergonomics AND get a different recoil pad?? You can have both you know. I dont see a problem with the concept of the pad, innovation or competition is always a good thing. Im spending over $90 on bullets atm so im not to worried about the price of the recoil pad. Might have to try one out.
So I’m a bad candidate for this because I’ve sold all my hard kicking guns. If I’m shooting something that needs a better recoil pad, I generally want to reassess my choices for caliber and bullet construction. Recoil pads might add some comfort, but they aren’t going to markedly affect your ability to shoot a gun better. I would personally put my money elsewhere.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m a bad candidate for this because I’ve sold all my hard kicking guns. If I’m shooting something that needs a better recoil pad, I generally want to reassess my choices for caliber and bullet construction. Recoil pads might add some comfort, but they aren’t going to markedly affect your ability to shoot a gun better. I would personally put my money elsewhere.
I totally agree that it's harder to shoot cartridges with heavy recoil, that point isn't worth debating.

To say improving a recoil pad won't make you shoot a heavy recoiling rifle better, however, is disingenuous at best and utter BS at worst.

Take the EXACT gun I have my Backstop pad on for example, Tikka T3X Lite with a 35 whelen AI barrel spun on. Tikka's factory buttpad is utter garbage, no debate needed. Once I replaced the factory pad with a Limbsaver AirTech pad, it went from a shoulder bruiser to a manageable rifle that I don't hesitate to shoot.

The Backstop pad is just as good as the Limbsaver AirTech, but no better. The extra cost and plasticy feel are the main reasons to avoid the Backstop.

ElPollo

WKR
I totally agree that it's harder to shoot cartridges with heavy recoil, that point isn't worth debating.

To say improving a recoil pad won't make you shoot a heavy recoiling rifle better, however, is disingenuous at best and utter BS at worst.

Take the EXACT gun I have my Backstop pad on for example, Tikka T3X Lite with a 35 whelen AI barrel spun on. Tikka's factory buttpad is utter garbage, no debate needed. Once I replaced the factory pad with a Limbsaver AirTech pad, it went from a shoulder bruiser to a manageable rifle that I don't hesitate to shoot.

The Backstop pad is just as good as the Limbsaver AirTech, but no better. The extra cost and plasticy feel are the main reasons to avoid the Backstop.
So I’ll start this out by saying that being called disingenuous and bullshit can make people a little salty. That aside…

I said a) I am bad candidate for that and b) if a gun needed a better recoil pad to make it more shootable, I was focusing on getting another gun that didn’t need the recoil pad. That’s not disingenuous or bullshit. It’s my opinion based on my experience. Every time I’ve considered a 35 Whelen or 358 win or 338/06 (and there have been a lot of those times), the numbers showed that the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze for me. I sold my 300 WSM because there wasn’t an elk or deer I couldn’t kill with something smaller that kicked less and that I could consistently shoot more accurately.

A recoil pad can take the sting out of recoil, but it does not redirect recoil and reduce muzzle rise thereby making it easier to keep eys on the critter after the shot and get faster follow-up shots. That is not fact not opinion. My opinion is that my money is better spent on things that affect muzzle rise and shootability, like better stock ergos, suppressors, etc.

If a $90 recoil pad that requires a detachable sheath for storage is your jam, that’s cool. You do you.

bpurtz

WKR
I was looking into these.......is the consensus so far that it isn't worth it?

IMO, the much cheaper Limbsaver AirTech pad does the same thing just as effectively.
It depends on the gun stock that you want to replace the pad on. The MDT HNT26 doesn't have many "easy" bolt on pad solutions. I'm happy with the Backstop Pad on my HNT26 - super easy to install and works well.

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
That did annoy me a little in the launch video. Think some local-to-him Roksliders should take him out big game hunting with those 'child' cartridges. I'd put that recoil pad on a .223 or 6mm Tikka just to 'spite' him, as much as one can spite someone after financially supporting them by buying their product.
Ol Jimbo would have to get out of the truck/atv.