Bag/ Stove Combo Advice

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
Need some advice on bag rating when running a stove. If I am running a 12" cylinder in a Mountainshelter LT in temps below freezing, what rating of bag would you recommend? My thought is something in the 15-20 deg range, possibly with a liner, should do the trick. I am usually a 'warm' sleeper and would of course have good base layers on as well. The two bags I am looking at currently are the REI Radiant and the MH Lamina Z Flame.

Also, has anyone found or had made a good net liner for the Mountainshelter? I know Berapaw will do one and I could have them do it when they install the stove jack. Just curious if its better to get the full net or just run a net bivy.

Thanks!

Hunter6

WKR
I would buy a bag rated like there is no stove. Those stoves have a short burn time and unless your going to stoke all night when you wake up in the morning your tent will be cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you wont get much burn time with a 12".
When it gets going it will likely sweat you out of the shelter though.
But to take the edge off before falling asleep and in the morning before exiting your bag it will be sweet.

welpro222

WKR
Yeah a stove is awesome for warming up shelter in morning and at night before bed. It only takes like 5-10 mins to get it warmed up, but less time to bring it back down to outside temp after it has burned out almost completely. It theoretically should enable you to use a slightly warmer bag, because you are warming your core up before jumping into your bag and the bag should (depending on bag) help retain that body heat thru the night. But yeah, Just like above advice and more get a bag rated at least 10 degrees colder then anticipated outside temps.

I have a large kifaru box stove for my eight man tipi, it only took one trip to realize you do not want to bring a lighter bag because you have a stove. Stoves are amazing for drying out or waiting out storms but unless you want to stay up all night tending the fire bring a bag that will keep you warm whether you have a fire or not

Jcberg

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Sawtooth with a large box stove and completely agree with everyone else. Buy a zero degree bag in my opinion.

OP
R

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. For the little bit of extra money I think I'll spring for the 18" stove and a little better bag.

reaper

WKR
I would buy a bag rated like there is no stove. Those stoves have a short burn time and unless your going to stoke all night when you wake up in the morning your tent will be cold.

exactly like Hunter said...i would'nt base my purchase of a bag with a stove in mind AT ALL...got a 18'' cylinder stove and a 12'',parastove,medium stove and even with a baffle inside my medium stove these things wont last all night...youll have to feed it every 30-45min.I just came back from a short trip from bow hunt and i have a kifaru 0F and in the middle of the night i woke up because my feet were freaking cold(i was pretty disappointed about the bag)