Liner or new bag?

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I’m planning a backpacking trip to Scotland in March. The West Highland Way. It’s 96 miles. I can wild camp a good portion of it and I plan to camp at least half of the 7 days that the hike will be. I have a North Face cats meow bag, it’s a 20 degree bag. The nighttime temperature range I’m looking at will vary from freezing to 40s. I’m thinking that the bag I have alone won’t be enough to keep me comfortable at minimum. So I’m looking at getting either a really good fleece liner to lower my existing rating or just a new bag with a rating closer to 0. What does everyone think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your bag is big enough, I’d layer inside the bag. I tried a liner and I mover around too much and it just got twisted up. I don’t like 0° bags because they are just too bulky. I like a long/wide 20-30° bag and layer inside it as needed.

Your ground insulation can play a big part of keeping you comfortable as well, don’t forget about that.

OP
ThisIsMyHandle

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I usually don’t move too much when I sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
A high R value pad, and a good 20 degree bag should be sufficient. I'll never tell you not to get a new bag, always a good excuse to buy new gear lol

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a cats meow, unless they changed something it surely is not a 20 degree bag! I would guess that is the survival rating not the comfort!

Easy way to get by is to pick up the super down pants and jacket from Kuiu. It easily gives me another 20 degrees in my bag and weighs next to nothing.

I would be too scared to trust a liner to get me comfortable. Too many affordable bag and pad options to skimp. My worst experience in the backcountry was a week of freezing every night. Maybe try your bag out at 20* and see how that goes. Good luck and stay warm

Last edited:
There's a Chilkoot 15° in the classifieds that would probably make your trip quite a bit more enjoyable.

The pad is a must. Not only for warmth but the comfort for sleep. I’m an Exped fan but there are a ton of good pads. You should try a few out to see what you prefer. If you are close to the Denver area I can meet up and tryout a few options.