Baking soda for scent control

I wash my clothes with it and baby scent free/chemical free detergent and store them in a air tight container with a layer of baking soda along the bottom..... people use it to take smells out of their fridges/carpets/etc, it’ll do the same for clothes

I throw a couple Arm and Hammer fridge and freezer boxs in a zip lock big bag with my hunting clothes. I think it works.

I started using baking soda in washing myself and hunting clothes for archery white tail season in Wisconsin in 1980

The first scent lock hunting clothes

Dang should have trademarked it

I've done it and don't disagree that it works, but how many minutes into your hunt have you negated your efforts by exertion and sweat? Honestly, is there anything you can do to eliminate the naturally occurring scents that occur on our bodies/in our lives that we aren't aware of, but are as obvious to the game we are hunting as a strobe light in the forest? I don't believe that there is anything that we can do that negates our need to keep the wind in our favor when pursuing game, and at that point, does it matter what efforts you took to "eliminate your scent"?

I put the baking soda freezer packs into my bag after packing. You peel the sides off and nothing gets on your clothes. I have been doing it for over 20 years. I think it works. The longer you hunt the more scent you have obviously but I like to think it increases my chances on opening morning.

No such thing as scent control.

Unless you like handing money to the outdoor marketing machine.

Who were/are the best predators in history?

Lions, wolves, bears, aboriginal peoples. And frontiersmen.

If the best hunters in the planet were smelly smelly characters, then the modern marketing machine thinks were all morons.

But it's their job to sell us stuff we want.

God bless them.

If the best hunters in the planet were smelly smelly characters, then the modern marketing machine thinks were all morons.

God bless them.
Does a drop of gasoline put off the same amount of smell as a gallon of gas? Can they be smelled from the same distance? There's no down side to trying to reducing your scent.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

God bless them.

I never bought into the carbon clothes or the scent machines. I do try to minimize my scent with scent free soaps and wipes because there really isn't any advantage to smelling like crap or an irish spring starting out.

I have to wash my clothes regardless and my daughter can't use any products with dyes or fragrance, so I use what we have. I put the baking soda freezer packs in our freezers and refrigerators, when I get back from hunting. None of it is specific to hunting products or marketing.

I think scent free products helps the first day and it really isn't costing me anything more than what I am already spending. I don't spend a lot of time thinking much about my scent beyond that, unless my stuff really starts to smell after a few days and then I find a way to wash it, if possible. Scent free wipes helps to reduce the funk, but once you start hunting, it's more about the wind than scent.

Baking soda works excellent...when you put it in a wind checker. :D

I am in the "play the wind" camp and don't generally worry too much about scent beyond wearing wool and no fragrances.

But antiperspirant is definitely good to use if your pits generate a lot of scent. Deodorant is a huge no no. It has lots of fragrance and does nothing to stop the sweat that generates bacteria that create strong odors.

Antiperspirant actually blocks your sweat glands. You body then sweats more on your face, arms, upper chest, and back, all places that don't tend to generate strong odors.

Last edited:
If they can smell your clothes, and the fact that they have been "de-scented", then they can smell you.

It was asked if a drop of gas smells the same as a gallon of gas, and I agree with that, if you are talking about our ability to smell, but it's not an apt comparison. We can't even comprehend the olfactory capabilities of these animals.

There is info out there where many of the anti-scent products have been tested against dogs, and they have pretty much universally failed to defeat the dogs sense of smell. Pretty much tells the tale right there.

Having said that, if it makes you feel better about your hunt, then by all means use them, I just wouldn't think that you can ignore the wind because of their use.

God bless them.
All of those instances still have a pretty low success rate.

I remember reading a study somewhere that baking soda actually works against you. The tiny particles do absorb scent but you are also walking around dropping tiny scent absorbed particles of baking soda.

Back