Barrel life heavier bullets 6.5cm

Stickmark

FNG
Does one really gain much extended barrel life shooting lighter bullets? With a
Tikka stainless barrel, always letting barrel cool between shots, does 125 grain vs 140 grain matter that much?
For example Win XP 125 flattish vs Hornady 140's. Not talking reloads at all, just factory.

nobody

WKR
Increased velocity does more to decrease barrel life than bullet weight, though they affect one another inversely.

Lighter weight projectiles = higher velocities = more bore wear per round.

That said, I doubt any appreciable difference truly exists until you get really crazy. As an example, my wife used to have a 243 and we discovered it shot the Hornady Superformance Varmint loads really well, like really really REALLY well. It was a 58 grain V Max moving at a hair over 4k FPS. It was a lightning bolt. I have to think that little round did way more damage to the bore per shot than a 100-ish grain "deer load" would have. I never was able to confirm as we sold the rifle before the barrel was toast.

In your case, I would shoot the 140's and not think twice (assuming they shoot well). If they DO for some reason shorten barrel life more than the 125's do, I would bet it's only by a couple hundred rounds max, and at that point you're already looking for a new barrel anyways.

Which one shoots better? How big are your 10 round groups?

If there is a known documented difference in barrel life between your scenarios I haven’t seen it.

The thought of being worried about burning out a 6.5 creedmoor barrel with factory ammo while allowing the barrel to cool between shots is funny. You’re talking about like $4,000+ in ammo and lord knows how many hours at the range. Pretend your barrel was shot out right now - You could probably sell your rifle for $600 and go buy a brand new stainless T3x for $730.

Last edited:

eoperator

WKR
I have always been under the impression heat & friction wears barrels. Whatever load has more of those conditions will wear faster. I don't believe lighter faster bullets do more damage.

OP
S

Stickmark

FNG
Nobody,
12 rd group with Winchester XP 125's, shot a shade under 2 ", majority under an inch. I shot this over three weeks, and the spread occurred on a day I quit shooting because of strong gusts picking up. Arizona hills, and there may have been a funnel effect? but at 100 yds, probably me too. Prone, laying rifle on pack.

I can close distance on deer in this terrain, so not looking for a long range kill, but want to play around further out. Mr. Internet had some references to heavier bullets being harder on the throat, and I love learning new things, hence my question. Shot some Selliers and Beloit 140's, groups about same, and guess it is time to get serious ammo.

Gypsy, agreed. That tikka action is what I should have bought 15 years ago. As much fun an accurate rifle is proving to be, I forsee rebarelling, and since I don't have a yacht or build cars, that above cost is relatively nil.
Still looking for the under $750 Tikka....

I think I haven’t seen anything with real data to make me think it’s not one off anecdotes, and with the insane variability of what some people think is shot out and some don’t it makes me even more skeptical.

I’d love to see it though if someone has it.

nobody

WKR
Nobody,
12 rd group with Winchester XP 125's, shot a shade under 2 ", majority under an inch. I shot this over three weeks, and the spread occurred on a day I quit shooting because of strong gusts picking up. Arizona hills, and there may have been a funnel effect? but at 100 yds, probably me too. Prone, laying rifle on pack.
The Winchester XP isn’t great ammo, I would pick up some match ammo and test again. There’s 140 and 120 grain available from Hornady, test them against each other. Or just run the 140’s, easier to find and higher BC.

Still looking for the under $750 Tikka....
Here you go:

Take this to scheels and ask for a price match. You’ll be about $750 out the door. I’ve got a line on a blued model for $622 if you’re interested too

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
Does one really gain much extended barrel life shooting lighter bullets? With a
Tikka stainless barrel, always letting barrel cool between shots, does 125 grain vs 140 grain matter that much?
For example Win XP 125 flattish vs Hornady 140's. Not talking reloads at all, just factory.
Just go shoot your rifle, have fun, and don't worry about it.
I would pick Hornady 140 ELD-M ammo over the Winchester every day