Base-layer Recommendations for Nevada Archery Mule Deer

Seeking recommendations for base layers during Aug-Sept in Nevada with lows hovering around 40 and highs around 80. I've done a lot of research on all of the major hunting brands and even some of the hiking-centered brands and am pretty set on going with a lightweight merino top. Curious what some of you have found success with, any help is much appreciated.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hunted Nevada archery season last year using SKRE merino top and Unita pants. I also wore the born primitive quiver hoody and kifaru wind river when it was cooler or windy.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I wasn’t deer hunting but had a sheep tag that started Sept 1 and the key was layering. My go to base later was a light merino t with a light long sleeve quarter zip over. Both FL, I just happen to live their base layers. This served as both as a little warming layer when cool and protection from sun when it pushed above 80. Been using FL base layers for a long time. Never needed any bottoms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mlob1one

WKR
I really like the black diamond baselayer 1/2 zip hoody. It is a very comfortable base layer that works for me from the end of August thru November.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Hunted mule deer in the Rubies out of Elko (Unit 102) in 2019. I ran the Kuiu Ultra Merino 120 Hoodie and then the Kuiu Peloton 240 Full Zip Hoodie (could probably trade the Peloton 240 for a Super Down Pro for the cold nights). Now that Kuiu has the Gila line out I would have a Gila SS T, you're on the right track with the Merino material though......... I camped at 10,500' - 11,000' and the thunderstorms were gnarly!!! One minute you'll need sunscreen the next you'll be breaking out the rain gear!

Oh yea, August in Nevada brings out the rattlesnakes like now where I've ever seen.

Good hunting and good luck!

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
For your sake I really hope the highs are in the 80s! I really prefer the kuiu 145 shirt over the 120. Being able to unzip and let some air in is great. That shirt, the katana stretch woven pants, and a flannel for the morning / afternoon has been my go to kit for many years.

Braaap

WKR
I live in NV and I really like the First Lite wick hoody and the stone glacier Avro hoody for August. I actually wear these pieces year round but in August they work great as my only layer in the heat of the day.

Article 4

WKR
After a ton of years trying a ton of kit, I will only run merino baselayer. Everyones body is different and weight of the fabric regulates warmth differently for everyone.
For early season I run 150 gram weight and prefer companies like Ibex, Ice Breaker, or Minus 33 for higher quality stuff.

WeightWarmth Factor
150-170gUltralight to wear all year round
170-200gLightweight- still ok to wear all year round but with more warmth
200-300gMid weight- good for the cooler months

Merino stays pretty warm when wet, and drys fast. Helps a little bit with bacteria and scent. It should ONLY Be washed in Specific Merino soap...not TIDE or the like

Hope that helps