Battery Free!

HeadnWest

WKR
This year for my 8 day elk hunt, I am planning on using a rechargeable headlamp, NiteCore NU 30, and my iPhone for gps, so no batteries. I am only brining an Anker charger. Anyone else go battery free on a hunt?

Yes but really it isn’t battery free 😀. More like battery consolidation to a battery pack. I’ve done it sort of for 4 years, my headlamp still uses an individual battery but everything else uses an Anker Battery pack.

The only down side to this is if your head lamp dies and you don’t have a back up you have to wait for it to recharge instead of just tossing in a couple new batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im there except rangefinder, but have elight in my bino harness as backup.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah ^...Rechargeables are a good idea......If only for the sake that you don't have Alkaline batteries leaking and wrecking your stuff

Ya, if you were "battery free" that Iphone and headlamp wouldn't work at all.

Before the season starts, I put new batteries in everything.......headlamps, flashlights, and GPS. And when the season is over, I take those batteries out and use them elsewhere. Then new ones for those things again the next year. I use my RF year round for ranging practice so I leave that battery in until the season starts. I made the mistake of leaving batteries in a headlamp one year after the season, and by the next season they had fully corroded. Won't make that mistake again.

As a side note, if you use Lithium batteries, they cost a little extra, but won't leak, and last longer in the cold. Rechargeable Ni-Cads don't last long at all in the cold, and when they start to go, they are gone until you recharge them. I switched everything to Lithiums that I could.

The only thing I use the Lithiums in is my digital camera, because they last like 100 times longer than alkaline in that thing. But I tried lithiums in my single AA flashlight, and my 2AA GPS and they didn't last much longer than the alkalines.....23 hours versus 21 hours in the GPS.

The only thing I use the Lithiums in is my digital camera, because they last like 100 times longer than alkaline in that thing. But I tried lithiums in my single AA flashlight, and my 2AA GPS and they didn't last much longer than the alkalines.....23 hours versus 21 hours in the GPS.

It could be a couple different reasons for that besides just a simple, "Less Power" answer. It could be the battery wasn't charged right to begin with. It could be that the unit you have it in requires a very tight voltage range and when sensing a variance it shuts off prematurely. Its best to check unit specs to see what batteries work best with them....all of the top mnfrs do this Zebra, Fenix included.

Many of these rechargeable batteries have a micro circuit in there that controls input and output. Its there for multiple reasons but the primary is safety.

I've found compatibility issues between some batteries/chargers.
I've put batteries that were charged on one of my other chargers on my Miboxer C8 [with digital readout] and it shows that the battery was only 65% charged.

As a side note, if you use Lithium batteries, they cost a little extra, but won't leak, and last longer in the cold. Rechargeable Ni-Cads don't last long at all in the cold, and when they start to go, they are gone until you recharge them. I switched everything to Lithiums that I could.
I recommend Nimh rechargeables over Ni-cad. I like the eneloop pro batteries the most for flashlights and other high drain devices.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I have made sure that everything I have takes AA's. That way if i somehow burn up all the power i can just pull batteries from another device or from my spares. May cost me a few oz's but it gives me confidence in my gear.

Back