BC Outfitter Feedback

Mc n NV

FNG
Hi all! I'm planning a 2025 Moose hunt. It will be myself as the hunter and my 28 y/o nephew as a non-hunting companion. I can't afford for both of us to hunt but want someone along to share the experience with. Based on my research, I've decided British Colombia makes the most sense for us. We can drive to the outfitter and drive all our meat and cape home. Depending on diesel prices in 2025, it just makes more sense than 2 airline tickets and all of the shipping costs. Additionally, the drive will be an adventure of sorts in itself.

I realize Rokslide is a DIY site, I've been a member for a while (2016). But plenty of guys do both. I've narrowed my choices down to 2 outfitters at this point, DB Outfitting or Copper River Outfitters. I'm on these two based on proximity to us in Reno NV, cost, the availability of add-on species, and the possibility to fish or grouse hunt if I tag out. I'm not married to either of these choices, these are just the 2 I like best so far.

What I'm looking for is fist hand feedback from anyone who has hunted with either of them. I know there are a bunch of outfitters out there, all of their websites make them sound great. For twice the money, I could go with a big-name outfit and go to the Yukon or Alaska. For a similar cost we could go DIY in Alaska, but the success rate drops. I'm just trying to make the best choice with-in my budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scottf270

WKR
Jim Lancaster at Copper River is a personal friend. I hunted twice with him in NWT for moose. We have remained in contact since.

Good honest guy who is a master at providing a great hunt. Top notch equipment and accomodations. Several guides are family of his.

Moose are not big by most standards but they fill out most years.

I have done 2 drop off transported hunts in AK with Papa Bear. Big moose and great service. Price for 2025 was $13,000. Plus tag and other expenses. But if you have what it takes to be on your own for ten days and process a giant animal, it is a an unmatched experience.

The bad thing about moose hunting is once you do it, you want to do it again.

mms2

FNG
Jim Lancaster at Copper River is a personal friend. I hunted twice with him in NWT for moose. We have remained in contact since.

Good honest guy who is a master at providing a great hunt. Top notch equipment and accomodations. Several guides are family of his.

Moose are not big by most standards but they fill out most years.

I have done 2 drop off transported hunts in AK with Papa Bear. Big moose and great service. Price for 2025 was $13,000. Plus tag and other expenses. But if you have what it takes to be on your own for ten days and process a giant animal, it is a an unmatched experience.

The bad thing about moose hunting is once you do it, you want to do it again.

are those shiras moose they are hunting at copper river?

Scottf270

WKR
I think they are too far north to qualify for a Shiras. Best to call Jim or visit website. They are very successful but a lot of guys are there to hunt for experience and meat.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
I know you didn't want to hear a bunch of suggestions but.... You might look at Inzana Outfitters. Paul runs a quality operation and thats coming from someone who was not successful but recognizes a great guide and outfit

Swampr42

FNG
I have not hunted with either of your two choices. But I have hunted twice with Mike at Lonesome Mountain outfitters out of Smithers BC In 2019 and 2023. We went 2 of 3 in 2019 and 3 of 4 this year. He has a great group of guides. We could have gone 4 for 4 this year but one guy passed to many bulls and his luck dried up.. We rebooked with them for 2025.

I‘d check them out and their prices are very reasonable. Attached pictures are mine and my buddies bulls from this year, I don’t have permission to post the 3rd.

Attachments

• IMG_1539.jpeg
    IMG_1539.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1535.jpeg
    IMG_1535.jpeg
    704.2 KB · Views: 75

Harveyb

FNG
I have hunted with Copper River Outfitters. We had a great trip in 2017. Filled out our tags early and then hunted grouse and fished for several days. Plan to do it again!

I wouldn't exclude Alberta from your search. The drive may not be much farther from Reno than BC, depending on your hunt location.

I hunted with Misty River Outfitters two years ago and had a great experience. I couldn't recommend them enough. The owner of Bowen Lake Outfitters posts here on Rokslide quite a bit. He seems like a good guy and they kill some great bulls. Both operations are out of Fort McMurray.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks a lot Ridge. And yes Nick at Misty River is a stand up guy.
Currently we are booked through 2025. But there is definitely lots of good outfitters that im sure can take you this year or next MC. Lancasters have a great name in the industry. Another good one out of Alberta is Kyler Knelson or Byron Wolf.

Bigred323

FNG
I was just up there at Copper River this past October. My dads dream hunt has always been a moose and he turned 70 this past year so made it happen for him.

He tagged out the first morning. I could’ve taken a bull the second morning, but I got a little pickier because I couldn’t take any of the second moose back home since we were flying (from Texas) and I came back home with a tag in my pocket, but definitely had the opportunity for both of us to tag out. Shot plenty of grouse.

Accommodations were great, food was great, and everyone we met there was great.