DIY Moose Hunt w/Outfitter

nodyroc

FNG
I'm looking to plan a 2025 or 2026 DIY moose hunt. This will be my first moose hunt so I would like to do it with someone with a little experience. I see several outfitters offering DIY hunts and I was thinking this may be a good way to go on my first. I guess it's more of a "semi-DIY" type hunt, has anyone done one of these and have positive feedback?

mooster

WKR
If you do a quick search, there's tons of reports using various outfitters, and amazing information on the unique experience and logistics required. I would search diy moose, drop camp, etc.

OP
nodyroc

nodyroc

FNG
Thanks, guys. I refine my search. I've seen a lot of guys doing it on their own but I'll revisit my search. Thanks again.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
It can seem a bit daunting of a task at first but as you find what you're looking for you'll start to see the same names come up. I have done 2 DIY drop camp hunts I have had one good and one very bad. My advice would be to get a hold of as many people as possible that have used that outfit before. Nobody is going to have all 5 star reviews because some times things don't go as planned and some of that is out of the outfitters control and sometimes the people going have different expectations that what is realistic. based on your timeline looking to hunt in the next year or two I think it will be tough to get in with the real reputable places unless you can get a cancellation hunt. I believe this site is the best there is for people willing to help out. Good luck on your search!

mooster

WKR
some more search terms for you...
papa bear
tok aviation
40 mile air
gods country
willow air
deadhorse
renfroe

PNWGATOR

WKR
Personally I’d start and stop with Larry Bartlett of Pristine Ventures. It’d be worth the wait and the trip of many lifetimes.

AKDoc

WKR
It can seem a bit daunting of a task at first but as you find what you're looking for you'll start to see the same names come up. I have done 2 DIY drop camp hunts I have had one good and one very bad. My advice would be to get a hold of as many people as possible that have used that outfit before. Nobody is going to have all 5 star reviews because some times things don't go as planned and some of that is out of the outfitters control and sometimes the people going have different expectations that what is realistic. based on your timeline looking to hunt in the next year or two I think it will be tough to get in with the real reputable places unless you can get a cancellation hunt. I believe this site is the best there is for people willing to help out. Good luck on your search!
Very well said, sir...and very, very true.

Scottf270

WKR
I'll say this. If you have decent outdoor skills, just do it. I wanted to moose hunt but being a Midwestern deer hunter, the task of handling a moose was intimidating.

I opted for 2 guided hunts in NWT which were great and gave me the confidence to tackle a diy moose hunt. I have since killed 2 great bulls with Papa Bear and did both hunts for what one guided hunts was 10 years ago.

Also the success rates vary a great deal. Don't let cost dictate your whole decision on who to go with. A hunt that has high success often costs more up front but is cheaper in the long run.

OP
nodyroc

nodyroc

FNG
Thank you, all.
Scottf270 - I'm in the same boat as you were. Midwestern whitetail hunter and it is a bit daunting to think about DIY moose hunt. I agree on cost not dictating everything and I'm trying to be open-minded about all this.
Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

So, the outfitter guys charging you $12K are typically going to provide you with lodging on each side of the hunt, make you breakfast, a ride to the airport/cargo and around town, gear rental included, and a location to hunt. Alternatively, you can find a pilot with knowledge of an area that can give you a place to hunt and you may have to pay for an uber, a couple nights in a hotel, and a little extra in fees to bring your own gear for probably under $4K. Neither of them are going to act as a guide and call a moose in for you, but you will probably get a "the moose like to move through path X and like to bed in location Y". There are outfits charging the $12K that have documented hunter success rates greater than 90% and you're probably looking more realistically at 50% with the later. Either way, I wouldn't plan around expecting to shoot a moose.

First time I hunted moose in AK about a decade ago, I called literally everyone. Hundreds and hundreds of hours looking at data, reports, population estimates, and talking to pilots. I talked to so many people that I eventually found a guy that didn't even advertise hunt drop offs but was legal to do the job. It came down to two guys going once every few years each paying one of the outfitters charging $8K at the time for a bit higher success rate or pay a pilot about $2K each and go every year and probably one of us shoots a moose every year. It was an easy choice for us, we wanted to hunt. And we shot moose each year we went that route. If you're going to go once and money is tight, give yourself a 5 year plan and save up for one of the guys with a higher success rate and drop maybe $15K-$20K on a hunt in 2028. Or you can go with guy B 3 times in that time frame for about the same price.

I do go with a guy that owns one of the all-inclusive outfits now, but that's mainly because of chance relationships I've built. It is really nice sending out a bit of gear a week before the hunt and just showing up and going to my warm room then waking up and essentially eating breakfast and put on my waders and step on a plane. But there is no advantage as far as the hunt is concerned other than he happens to operate in a very high-density moose area. The extra money he charges isn't because his success rate it high, it's for the types of planes he uses, the distance to hunting grounds, extensive scouting hours, gear rental, and the lodging/transportation/food/personnel he provides to make it all run smoothly. His high success rate is a reflection of how he chooses to run his business rather than his price being a reflection of his success rate.

Last edited:

AKBorn

WKR
Just an FYI that there's a new thread posted today about one of the outfits mentioned by name above being charged and fined for violations. It's in the Caribou Hunting subforum.

RP50

FNG
Following as we're getting ready to start planning for a moose hunt. New to the site, so much good info and people in here from what I can see.

Mc n NV

FNG
So we, my nephew me, are also in the first stage of planning a 2025 Moose hunt. I've got way more questions now that I started reading all of these threads. We haven't even figured out if we want to go DIY drop camp or, guided. I'll be 56 in a few days and almost 58 when we go. My big concern with DIY is getting the meat out. My nephew is 1/2 my age, but don't want to put it all on him.

Second concern is the obvious cost difference. If we go drop camp, we can both hunt. If we go guided, he would be an observer. I can't afford to foot the bill for 2 guided hunters.

We hunt Nevada, when we draw, and have made a few failed efforts into Idaho, Oregon, and tried California last year. If ya'll have any further input, I'd sure appreciate it!

Sapman

FNG
Looking at a 2025 DIY Moose hunt in Alaska. Has anyone had experience or know anything about Bushwhack Outfitters? They are based out of Illiama? Appreciate any info you could provide.